Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

That’s interesting. Did the prof mean he watched prescreens again when he was making decisions, after full auditions had also taken place? I don’t think there’s any video of my son’s full audition. Frustration is a good word for it, but at the same time I’m glad the application is all done and he can focus on other things.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words and :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This was for the prescreen auditions. My son was going to Apply EA and audition early Dec. The prof told him he wouldn’t listen to any of the prescreens until after all were sent in (by Dec 1)and listen to them at the same time, so going EA wouldn’t give him any advantage.

:wave: Blair audition today for my son as well. He met a bunch of Blair bass students afterwards and they gave him a private tour and then brought him to lunch at the “commons”. 15 hour trip back to NY in the morning :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Safe travels!

3 Likes

The dissonance between admissions and the faculty is ever present. Remember that admissions wants you to apply. Then you need to get past the faculty…who sometimes is not that interested in what admissions is up to! Admissions is like the pep club and cheerleaders screaming for you, getting you all worked up….and then you find yourself on the field in front of bunch linebackers looking to crush you and your dreams. It’s just confusing…and normal.

I remember going to my daughter’s orientation and me, myself and I (not only my D) getting swag, getting my picture taken with my D, having my own orientation schedule (you’d think I was a student). It was very exciting for me. And at some point, I was corralled into a room with a music teacher to talk with us (felt very special that music parents had a special, little meeting) and the old, crabby teacher (probs an instrumentalist genius) was kind of sour and complaining about some aspect of the school (can’t remember). But I do remember thinking…boy this old guy needs some guidance on presentations to parents. Oh well…she got a great teacher and education…the admissions and administration kind of fades away…

2 Likes

We considered Shenandoah as well (not for jazz, though) but ended up not applying. I’d be interested in what you find out about the rolling admissions. My son can go to a state school if the stand-alone conservatories he’s auditioning at this month don’t work out, but Shenandoah might be an exciting option for him if it’s still possible.

1 Like

If he’s been admitted to CU Denver and he’d be happy there and it’s affordable, then I wouldn’t add the stress of more applications.

3 Likes

This morning, I’ve been thinking this, and he said it last night. I told him, we haven’t even seen it yet! If that’s the direction he wants to go–that he has that one that looks good, and even if all the others fell through he’d be happy there–then we should just go visit ASAP, and he can drop some of the highly expensive or unlikely auditions he still has to do.

By the light of day, the kid (and you) make the most sense. :smiley: Instead of adding more work, he’d have even less. Shenandoah does look cool, especially with a brand new program, but I think he’d love a city–even a smaller one like Denver.

2 Likes

It looks absolutely beautiful and the music program looks fun and not competitive internally, just based on the vibe I got from their materials and also some other parents on these forums. I do think @MMRose is right, though, that if he has one he’s happy with, I don’t need to make him look into any more schools. He’s so tired, and he still has several auditions. So, I probably won’t find out any more about Shenandoah.

2 Likes

My son had his first virtual audition yesterday. It was hard to see the faces and interact with the five people who were watching him. He had no idea what they were thinking. He didn’t have much time to look at the sight reading piece. He came out of that experience seeming tired. :frowning:

I told him he could withdraw some of his other applications if he didn’t want to do them anymore, except for the two great ones we have bought tickets to fly to in person.

2 Likes

If you are planning a trip to CU Denver, maybe wait until that is done before withdrawing other apps? Just in case he doesn’t like it?

That being said, not everyone has the ability to tour their future colleges and they still manage to thrive. My younger son — non music — didn’t because he graduated in the middle of Covid and schools weren’t offering tours and we weren’t travelling anyhow.

3 Likes

Every so often I check these threads. We walked in your shoes in 2003 when our kid started college as a music performance major. We didn’t have to endure prescreens. But waiting to schedule an audition date was no fun!

We also weathered (literally) the BIG 30 inch snowfall in greater DC 2003 Presidents Day weekend when auditions to Peabody were postponed to during the following week.

Best of luck to all of you as you navigate the audition season, and await your acceptance decisions. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that everyone lands in a good spot!

3 Likes

Good idea, yes, I don’t think he should withdraw others until he visits Denver. I wouldn’t want to depend on a school he didn’t experience, even though it probably would be fine. It’s not a typical college campus, and I want him to be happy with the experience and feel challenged and like it’s a good place for him. Also, he can’t withdraw everything. He needs to keep a couple more schools he’s excited about (including the two we have plane tickets for. LOL). He probably has two he could peel off, and maybe even 3.

Thank you! (And wow, braving that snow is an epic effort for her music. Talk about demonstrated interest. :smile: )

1 Like

This is the challenging time in the audition gauntlet where the fun and excitement of looking at schools, performing repertoire, meeting faculty and students at a prospective school and dreaming of being there can all get old. After all, they are only kids, even though most music kids are so mature and confident we tend to forget.

I say, trust your kid. Pick a time when they have a relatively clear head (so not right after an audition) and let them lay out the rest of the journey. The next few weeks should be challenging but not so overwhelming that they cannot perform well and enjoy the process.

Every kid is different. But I think they have a surprising sense of their capabilities. Not only musically, but in terms of how they handle pressure, fatigue and all of the other challenges of audition season.

1 Like

We toured UMiami last spring, met with admissions, and had a lesson with the trombone professor. The admissions counselor told us not to apply ED/EA (can’t remember what they offer). There was no benefit in it for JUST the music school (different if not music school or dual degree). She said they want to hear all applicants so defer all early apps to regular decision. It stinks and we would not have known it if they didn’t tell us in person. So, all hope is not lost! I think chances of getting in are the same and the deferral means nothing! :crossed_fingers:t2:

4 Likes

The students were so nice! Some of the trombone students took my son out for lunch as well. Then they went back and had a jam session together. We live in Kentucky so didn’t have too far to get to get home. Safe travels!!

5 Likes

We had no idea! I did see a few people who were accepted to Frost on the UM EA thread, but I think just three people. Knowing this might actually make my kid feel better, so I may relay this to him, because right now it just feels a little icky, I would imagine, that they’re waiting to see if there’s anyone else. I guess for UM, having an EA option would spread their work out and get some effort out of the way, and basically it’s done the same for us. I’m happy to understand it better, though, and also think maybe he is being considered. Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

This would have been a dream! There was a jam session scheduled, but they canceled it because of too many applicants. They were too busy (by their own report). We didn’t meet any students. However, he loved it anyway and would be psyched if he gets in RD.

2 Likes