Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

I actually thought it wasn’t always a plus to be the high stat, precocious kid at music auditions depending on the program. My oldest was applying vocal but was an advanced pianist, he was doing concerto competitions by age 12/13. He also was taking composition and guitar. He did do some paid work. He has perfect pitch. He walked into one sample lesson and the teacher lectured him out of the gate about being a musical beginner and not knowing anything. LOL. I should mention this kid was NOT overly confident and is kind of quirky and shy. He is still humorously self deprecating. Not a great experience. Unfortunately, we couldn’t afford super high stat, no merit options.

Same kid also got grilled directly at sample lessons obviously digging for what kind of merit he was hoping for. I do think early sample lessons can be good and bad, I prepped kid #2 better for ridiculous questions. That kid hasn’t gotten much of that. Anyway - I don’t think it was coincidence he ended up in a studio with a teacher who is very much an academic who has at least half grad students in their studio. They clicked immediately.

My more smart average kid this year actually did better with prescreens. I have a few theories on that at different schools.

In dance they tell them to merde!**

I always wonder what they are supposed to say in classical music.

This speaks poorly for the school/teacher, not your kid’s qualifications.

1 Like

Oh for sure. It was a program we otherwise really liked but clearly wasn’t going to work out for this kid. Really unprofessional behavoir IMO making judgment on a kid you just met. Same teacher also has a bunch of very poor reviews on Rate my Professor with comments that very much reflected this experience. Can’t imagine getting stuck with someone so bitter and negative for 4 years.

I really wish more music students would post reviews for studio teachers!

Whoa, that’s not ok. That professor sounds like a crab.

I wonder if my kid gives off a shy vibe. If I were a fly on the wall… He has not been trained by music teachers like the ones many of your kids have had. He’s trained for a decade at School of Rock, playing soul, R & B, Motown, jazz, with tons of public performances. His music director is a Berklee grad. My kid has not studied at summer festivals and such. He plays so many instruments, and can pick up a new one and basically play it in an hour (except for my violin. LOL. What a mess!) But he does not have experience auditioning, especially in high pressure environments.

1 Like

Oh he will find his place for sure! I really do think many programs want to bring in students with a variety of backgrounds and not just line up students from the closest regional programs. For jazz this won’t be uncommon either! I would hope most teachers would understand students feeling a bit nervous at auditions. When my son was auditioning, he was stoic but we saw so many kids crying in hallways! :frowning:

My kids never did big summer programs because they always had great regional options available at a fraction of the price. I do think participating in those can help with admissions in some cases. But cynically I also think it’s a way to ensure they get plenty of high/full pay students in the program too because they are expensive.

2 Likes

My daughter just auditioned last weekend for Miami MT. She applied EA (had all of her stuff in by the EA deadline), but was deferred to RD because her audition date was after the EA deadline.

1 Like

Do you mean Univ of Miami? Our whirlwind tour was given by an MT major who loves it there. She really could project to the back of our sizeable crowd. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is the opera version of ‘break a leg’ (or mallet LOL). It is the spitting to ward off evil spirits, just like wishing someone bad luck when you really mean good luck.

He sounds quite talented! I also like the collaborative aspect of CU Denver. It seems like they do a great deal of ensemble work, with a lot of opportunities to play in the community as well.

2 Likes

Aw, thanks for listening to me brag. :slight_smile: The Voz de la Clave ensemble looks fantastic.

1 Like

Yes! University of Miami Musical Theatre. It was a very nice audition experience - my D really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

What are your thoughts about Professors asking/ pushing to know where else the student is auditioning? I am torn on what to advise. Does she just answer and risk them hedging their bets as to whether she would accept an offer of admission? (Which is my fear) or is there a benefit to them knowing the competition? I am very interested to know your thoughts!

My son answered those questions honestly and succinctly. The oboe world is relatively small, it seemed as though the same group of candidates were on the same audition tour. So I’m guessing the professors have a good sense of where else the students are auditioning. At one university based audition, it was followed by a discussion by the professor of the pros and cons of university vs conservatory programs.
Will defer to others, but I don’t see it as a problem to answer. Yes, they may now know your student is auditioning at a highly selective program. But they don’t know how much merit your kid requires. Or other criteria you and your kid have regarding schools.
Also, not sure how one gracefully avoids answering. At least that was my kid’s take on it.

3 Likes

100% agree with @anotheroboemom.

You are also looking at it from the negatives only. In most cases, I think a thoughtful list demonstrates that you are a serious, knowledgeable candidate. You aren’t just trying at one school. You know the major players…and are thinking about options. My D also had a good conversation with a teacher about the differences between LACs and big Us. No pressure…just a discussion. I think it could also impact scholarships in a positive way…knowing that they will need to compete.

Edit: there could be one negative…imo…at a safety school. If your kid is obviously a high end candidate, they could pass knowing that you will get other offers. At a safety, a kid could emphasis that it is a strong, financial candidate to prove true interest (assuming that’s true).

2 Likes

I’ve encouraged my kid answer with 2-3 peer schools if asked. My older kid was asked very directed questions a couple times (not in audition) that gave strong hints they were fishing about what kind of other offers might come in. So I do think in some cases they are doing math in their head.

Though I do think oboes are likely in much stronger position this way than young vocalists!

1 Like

Very thoughtful answers, my thanks to each of you. D does have a large list of schools (11) at which she is auditioning. She has selected the programs that are best suited to her interests as a classical vocalist.
These schools are the most ‘major players’ and it is my hope that they will come in with strong financial offers. This will be a financial decision.
To date when asked she has replied “I have cast a very wide net as I know this is a very selective process, I will need a lot of money and I am ‘just’ a soprano!”
Perhaps just stating the names is a better option…

1 Like

That’s certainly a fine answer. I think the best answer is what is comfortable to your kid (knowing that giving names is fine) and “reading the room” a bit. It is a “conversation”.

She can stick with her answer if the question feels very general. Still, she may be able to engage a bit more if she opens up the conversation to list a few peer schools. If she is doing LACs and big Us…she could list a couple big U peer schools at a big U…and then list a couple of LACs…saying that she is throwing a wide net and still learning what each type has to offer. Teachers may engage more (or not)…a panel may not if they are behind or giving a very short time. But if it is ever a one-on-one with an interested teacher, definitely engage! It could be a nice, educational conversation which shows more of your D and the teacher/program.

2 Likes

If you think about this question for too long, it starts to feel like walking on eggshells.

I’m interested in what you said, @KaylaMidwest , about mentioning 2 - 3 peer schools. Do you mean that if a student is auditioning at a school that’s medium-selective, maybe name other schools around that same level of selectivity? Would you name any reaches or easier-to-get-into programs, or stick with the general level of the school you’re touring?

I think I will tell my kid about this potential question. Maybe he could talk about his choices being in great jazz cities, maybe taking the focus off the tricky issues.

1 Like

Can anyone help with my confusion about Columbia College Chicago?

The deadline to turn in all materials, including a portfolio with a couple videos, was 1/18. An audition is also required, but you can’t schedule your audition until you are accepted into the college. college acceptance takes about four weeks according to their site (around 2/18). But the final audition day is 2/11. :confused:

I’m seriously worried that we’ve done something wrong. My kid called and was told about needing to be accepted first. I can never be sure exactly what he got from his phone call. I’ve learned that different people can give different answers at colleges.

You can call and ask to speak to an actual admissions officer. Oftentimes it is student workers who answer the phone, and they may not have the most accurate information when the situation is atypical.