Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Hey everyone CIM was a really nice audition this past weekend. We got to see the Cleveland Orchestra in a sold out concert at Severance Hall (CIM offers you inexpensive tickets). I have never been in such an enthusiastic classical concert in my life. Just WOW! The Audition experience is very nice. CIM is super welcoming, has a really friendly info session to start, campus tours and a free lunch too. My daughter was way more relaxed here than at her last audition so she did much better and we left in high spirits. Next up, Colburn :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the information. I think a group interview might be less stressful. Strength in numbers!

1 Like

I am so impressed with your son (and you for helping him manage)! I can’t wait to hear where he lands. We live right by Colburn and it is just incredible.

This weekend at Oberlin, my S22 is again manning the check in table, so hopefully your son will get some encouragement and enthusiasm from current students. I make no secret about how happy he is at Oberlin!

And I agree with you on the thank you notes. I believe faculty genuinely appreciate the gesture, even if there isn’t an eventual offer of admission, it’s still a way to show gratitude. Certainly not necessary, and doesn’t sway decisions either way, but a lovely gesture.

Enjoy the ride!

3 Likes

I have a dilemma, and I think I know the answer but just want some reassurance, I guess, from parents whose kids have traveled and auditioned alone.

My husband was going to accompany my kid to UNT but has gotten quite ill. The tickets were cheap and thus not transferable; the airline will not help. The choice we need to make is to spend another $800 for me to go, or send our kid by himself. He says he’s fine either way. He often does not express his emotions, though. I can’t really tell if he’ll have fun or feel unsupported.

(Edited for length) I always pictured doing these visits together, not only for fun traveling together but to observe the school and go to parent sessions. It probably makes sense to wait and see if he gets in, especially since it’s so selective, before spending extra money for a parent to observe the school. The $800 would be enough money for two RT tickets to visit Colorado, so this seems like a no-brainer, but my heart is not convinced. :frowning:

Reminder to self: He’s basically an adult. However, since he isn’t technically, that leads to the next issue: hotels. The one we’re booked at only allows people 21+ to check in. I’ve heard that’s true at every hotel. Has anyone dealt with this?

If you decide to not accompany him, call the hotel directly and talk to the front desk about having your son check-in by himself. We did this one summer (kid was only 16 I think) when he had to fly to IU for a summer session and the dorm didn’t open until the next day. The hotel was super accommodating.

Thank you, I will do that. I’m glad to hear your kid did and had a good experience.

1 Like

If he is comfortable going by himself and he can Uber to where he needs to go, then I bet he will feel like it’s an adventure. He knows his dad wanted to go with him, but life intervened. It happens. And in just a few short months he’s going to be doing lots of things like this on his own.

I clearly lean towards “it’s an empowering adventure” — but of course every kid and every family is different and you should do what makes you most comfortable.

2 Likes

Mine did all of his traveling and auditions alone at 17. I was able to book lodging through AirBnB under my account and messaging the host that the room was for my son who was in town for an audition. The hosts were very accommodating. My son enjoyed doing his audition tour alone, it made him feel very grown up and increased his self confidence for his auditions.

I’m leaning towards this, too. One of my thoughts was about how we will all have this experience in a few months–him doing things on his own, and us letting him go. This is probably good practice.

1 Like

Thank you for this! It makes me feel better to hear about others who’ve done this. I have a feeling it will have the same benefits for my kid. I just have to get over it! Airbnb was one thought I had. I’m not familiar with Denton, though, and not sure where he should stay in order to use buses. I’ll call the hotel today and see if it’s really an issue. If so, airbnb will be our friend.

ETA: He’s a city kid and prefers transit, so that’s not a concern for me. I just want him to be near the bus.

1 Like

I would suggest Uber over busses for an audition trip, if that’s within budget. If he hasn’t used Uber before, he can practice once or twice at home. They also have a “share my ride” feature so you can track his ride in real time if that makes you more comfortable.

Edited to add: Lyft as well as Uber of course.

1 Like

He has done uber, and I think I can even order it remotely from my account. I’m curious, though, why you suggest it over the bus. Is it concern about being on time? Or stress? I will totally allow him to choose, I’m just curious.

I was thinking mostly stress over the bus being late vs being able to see where the Uber is vis a vis arriving. Maybe that’s just my city!

He’s a person who goes super early to things. Gets up way earlier than necessary! I agree, though, that when a bus doesn’t come things can get really stressful really fast. He’ll be there an extra day prior to the audition, to walk around and sit in on a class, so he’ll have time to assess. He can definitely take an Uber. I’ll be sure he knows.

2 Likes

We are 3 weeks into travel and we have mostly been using transit intentionally to give kiddo a more real experience about living in an area, etc and it’s been great for the most part. I’ve had her doing most navigation. One thing that my husband and I use when we’re on seperate trips, etc sometimes is the share my location feature in google maps so you can follow his adventures. That might be something to check out.

I will say I picked up some bug along our travels and am just over it. We laid pretty low on this last trip (and did use uber a little bit too - we didn’t use it at all in Boston). I am still masking quite a bit but anyway. Now my husband is sick too. We did both test covid negative but plenty of stuff going around and neither of us has had a cold in years at this point. Luckily, kiddo has avoided she got everything in the fall (including covid). I hope your husband feels better soon and your son stays healthy!

1 Like

Thank you! I hope you all feel better, too. I think her practicing with transit was a great idea. I think transit is a wonderful way to see a city without having to focus on the road. Coming in from the airport, you get a sense of its size and character, watching the airport change to suburbs and then city. You see interesting little things, like in Miami people lined up while waiting for the bus. Where we live people wait in clumps and just smush in. :smiley: For similar reasons, we’ve taken bicycling trips as a family, to see things at a different pace. We loved taking the train from the PNW to New Orleans the first time we visited there. It took two and a half days.

(Since those biking adventures, both my husband and I have developed some health reasons that make biking impossible right now, but transit can be fun!)

I think that it’s fine to let him go alone. Many “kids” do it. In this day and age, with all the apps, you should be able to be in close contact with him…so he really should be fine.

And, he needs to learn to tell adults if he is not fine. You shouldn’t have to guess. So you simply may want to let him know that’s part of being a young adult and you’ll buy a ticket in heartbeat if he wants you to.

Finally, I have always told my D if you ever take trip expect one problem…that costs you money. That way you will not be surprised when the $30 lemonade shows up on the Champs Elysees! You just pay and think…welp I expected that. That’s not really a problem…but if you make clear that…sure…he may have an issue with the bus…and then you go to Plan B and just get an uber…it’s all OK. That takes away from him feeling it has be perfect. Problems can happen and he can handle them (alone or with a quick text to mom…and a credit card!).

Edit: I also had my D practice with transit…choosing to ride the school shuttle from the airport to the school…as opposed to renting a car.

4 Likes

My own experience at his age was with the NJ Transit train from my home to high school two towns away. The historic train stations are gorgeous. The city was NY, and we figured it out when we went.

My kid has grown up more with everyday bus use than I did, and I’m glad he has. He’s been a transit nerd for many years. When he was in first grade, the school took a trip downtown to the museum, and a parent was concerned about him sitting next to a sleeping guy who had a shaved head and tattoos. My kid was quick to point out to that parent that people on the bus are okay. LOL.

1 Like

There is so much good advice in your post. I will talk about him being supported if he needs it, and also about being okay to spend money when necessary for unexpected things. He could have a lot of $30 lemonades with the $800 we’re saving! :laughing:

2 Likes

My daughter and some friends were able to check into a hotel at 17/18 when a parent called ahead and made the reservation. I’m pretty sure many hotels will bend this rule. I’d personally look for a hotel that is potentially walking distance.

2 Likes