Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

For the merit thread, the more information, the better (although I get not everyone wants to share). I have noted over the year that some of the biggest pops in money go to instrumentalist and high-academics mixed with talent. Some instrumentalists have been practicing for hours from a young age…while my vocalist was eating donuts and watching SpongeBob at that age. So a fledgling mezzo who has been studying voice for 3 years…may get less than a violinist. Of course schools “need” a VP class…so you can of course get good merit…the schools need to compete…so sometimes the merit can be a lot for VP. So, I’m mainly talking “trends” when I mention the big pops…individual results will certainly vary.

2 Likes

Most of the time, especially for undergrads it is impossible to know a studio’s particular need for the year. Sometimes, private teachers have some insight and sometimes the applicant can glean some information from the studio professor if they had contact via a festival or sample lesson.
But I would advise applicants to avoid over-thinking the need of the studio, number of openings and potential merit. It can become paralyzing.
Of course apply to a range of programs. But look for programs and teachers where you will be challenged and happy. The rest will sort itself out.

2 Likes

" But look for programs and teachers where you will be challenged and happy. "
This was our motto throughout this process and I really believe it is so important.
Also, in conversation with one Music Admissions Head regarding studio “limits.” He said that although he always has a number, they usually don’t turn away a certain level of talent. So if it’s a big year for them numbers wise bc they had a larger pool of talent then so be it.

Thank you for clarifying that. Definitely based on the schools “need” for what the student is applying for…and the strength of other applicants doing the same.

Knowing my son, I’m thinking about who his peers will be more than anything. He comes alive playing with others, improvising, forming ensembles with the musicians at his school. Who will be around him to do that with is crucual. And whether that’s supported with time and resources in the program.

2 Likes

That’s interesting and really great to hear.

The year my kid started undergrad…almost everyone they accepted on his instrument matriculated. Let’s just say…they had a HUGE surplus of this instrument that year. The following year, they accepted only 2 students. And both matriculated. By that time, several of the initial 12 had switched to different majors.

The school could not accommodate more of the same instrument, and guarantee the necessary required ensemble time.

This happens.

2 Likes

My son got in also! Music Education for Horn! We committed yesterday. He is so excited!

3 Likes

Congratulations! Is your daughter commiting to Bienen?

2 Likes

@singer2 im sure that is a typo you want to fix!

2 Likes

:nauseated_face: Awww

1 Like

Thank you for alerting me of my typo! Geez

It made me chuckle. Gotta love auto correct.

Thank you! Waiting on few more school decisions. She loved visiting Bienen, the dual degree opportunity and the flute studio environment at Northwestern would be a great fit for her.

Bienen is beautiful!

It’s in the 30’s here and we got several inches of snow. My son is now on the beach where its in the 80’s. I am not going to be shocked if it quickly becomes his top choice based on location alone. But I worry as its likely not the best music program.

IMO, Baldwin Wallace is the better program over Jacksonville U. Syracuse is the better known school with the big spirit campus with football, etc but I’m seeing freshman cannot be in shows and I don’t know how many opportunities outside of choir ensembles he would have.

1 Like

Is he going to do a sample lesson (zoom or otherwise)? I would ask a vocal music faculty member about that specifically. Sometimes official policies are bent. Especially for a mature for age male vocalist and a progam need. I know a young male vocal student locally doing all sorts of things young UGs normally don’t do.

1 Like

Syracuse reached out last month but he was in the heat of musical rehearsals and performances. Now that he is accepted my son emailed about more availability. But yes, he will do a sample lesson and talk to them.

2 Likes

From our personal experience music programs definitely offer merit based on financial need in addition to merit based on talent. I do believe that this is done on an individual basis and specific to the desirability of the candidate as assessed by the studio head and the music department. My son received music merit in addition to music merit grants based on financial need from 3 different school, a state school, a private LAC, and a university.

For example the studio head of a state school, where we would be paying out of state tuition, emailed to ask if our decision would be predicated on the financial aid package and then advocated for a larger music grant based on financial need. The original music grant was then more than doubled essentially covering tuition.

Another example, a private LAC included both academic merit, music merit and financial aid merit grants awarded from both School of Arts & Sciences and the conservatory so two merit scholarships and two merit awards based on financial need. It does happen but I do believe that it is based on the needs of the studio and the academic fortitude of the candidate.

5 Likes

My son said he received a notice that Rice/Shepherd is releasing decisions today.

The wait is almost over. Rice University will release admission, scholarship and financial aid decisions for Regular Decision applicants in the Rice Admission Student Portal on Monday , March 27 after 5 p.m. CT.

:heart:

3 Likes