Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Agreed! To yours as well!

1 Like

This is very much what Eastman indicated in their email. They said they keep the waitlist very small and if you’re on it that means they want you they just don’t have enough spots open currently.

6 Likes

Yes, and we have our expectations in check for this one. He’s very okay with it and was just happy for the experience. Hoping for good news Monday on Rice.

3 Likes

I THOUGHT my daughter had her expectations in check, but her reaction to being waitlisted at Eastman has shown me otherwise. If she heard from Curtis today she has not shared that with me. We are also hoping for good news from Rice Monday. Good luck to your son!

Congratulations, @10mnpt! Great school for music.

Congratulations, @RussianMom! What wonderful news.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, our undergrad classical piano performance son was admitted off the waitlist 6 years ago (even before the deadline I think) with a significant scholarship which Eastman also increased upon appeal. Keep the faith…

4 Likes

Your D got further than mine did (grad VP, soprano) at Eastman. Congratulations to her on that. I also think stage of development is a factor for these voice students. My D is a college senior so still young compared to some grad applicants, although every voice has its own journey. I’m speculating that a year of development might make a big difference so if my D does not get into the program she’d like to be in, she might when she has another year under her belt.

1 Like

This is great to hear! I’m definitely hopeful for her.

I know you’re right about this (mine is also a college senior). Many of her classmates are taking the gap year for this and other reasons. My daughter feels strongly that if she was to take a gap year she wouldn’t keep developing, she would just be at home working and not singing (that’s just her, not that everyone is that way). So she’s hoping to find a good fit for her to move on to next year.

It’s all just so subjective. You see people getting into really elite programs and not getting past prescreens at another and you just scratch your head. My daughter passed the prescreen at Curtis, Rice, Eastman, but not at Yale. :woman_shrugging:

I’m half hopeful, because I’ve read their FA is truly generous, and half convinced it’s going to come in saying “You should take a $300,000 loan!” Considering that they don’t count home equity, we have a fighting chance!

I think. Because after all, I don’t know what I’m doing. :slight_smile:

Hey everyone, another contributor and I are thinking it would be very useful to future generations if we included waitlists and rejections on the “acceptance” thread. I think we could wait until May and add them once all the admissions decisions are in. Once we celebrate all the successes and highlight all the commitments, then we can go back and add the other data.

1. Obviously, this is all voluntary so just stay tuned and see if you feel like it.

2. Would you do it that way? Including it together with acceptances in one thread?

5 Likes

Ha Ha….thanks, you too.

And add $0 in merit. A group of parents did that one year; and I think that is always helpful. Most people share the successes. But if you get $0 or a low amount, it is hard to share when others got a lot more. Remember merit can be based on “need” not just talent. If the merit thread just shows “everyone” getting merit (or the big numbers)…it gives a false impression to the next class.

Good luck to those still waiting. The finish line is in sight!!

And congrats for all acceptances/merit, there are so many I can’t keep up!!

7 Likes

Please share what music programs award merit based on need? I have never heard of this. Actually…unless a merit award specifically says need is considered (and most do not) need is not considered for merit.

One caveat I would say about listing music merit…remember…every year has a different audition pool….and the strength of that cannot be predicted. So just because a student this year got great merit, doesn’t mean that will happen next year.

1 Like

I should let @bridgenail chime in, but thinking this means the need of the program or studio and not the financial need of the applicant.
So for example in a given year, a program might really need a particular voice type and more money from the program would be allocated to filling that spot.
Merit always is specific to the applicant’s talent and what they have to offer a program or studio.

2 Likes

In reading prior year’s threads, I looked at the scholarships as a range that indicated possibility. Like, does a school ever give more than xx? I do see patterns, but readers have to be careful not to expect anything specific.

1 Like

Oops…I should have been more clear! That is why I mentioned merit awards as opposed to FA.

Need, for merit, has nothing to do with financial need…and everything to do with the performance needs at the school…for example needing a couple mezzos and not needing anymore sopranos. This happened to my D for grad school. More money was given bc they “needed” a performance ready mezzo. Her targeted teacher kind of clued her into it.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve learned that those scholarship lists are skewed in various ways, such as a year’s particular studio needs. Maybe I should write that in the thread.

I’ve divided things in my mind as academic and talent based money = merit, and need based = financial aid.

The zeros are very helpful. I think that’s why keeping the thread somewhat anonymous helps in case someone is feeling whatever emotions they have-good or bad-about their offer.

2 Likes