Clothes/Shoes for Snow/Cold Weather

<p>My son is from the South, going up to Purdue for winter, and is wondering what sort of shoes are popular there. I know there have been other threads of this sort on CC, but what do the kids bring for cold weather clothes/shoes? Should we wait until he gets there to buy or should I be shopping now?</p>

<p>i don't think it really matters what shoes you have as long as it keeps water out. i have leather calf length boots that i sprayed with scotch guard. and i'm a girl, so i might not be much help, but i'm from kansas which can get very cold. for the winter, i wear layers which consist of a tank top, sometimes a t-shirt, thin sweater or jacket, sweatshirt or hoodie, and either another hoodie or jacket. then i also wear gloves, hat, and scarf and i'm warm enough for 15+ temps. for colder days, i have a massive, thick, down coat, but i usually just bear with the cold weather because i'm not usually outside for more than 10 minutes at a time during winter. i hate dealing with a bulky coat. however at purdue, i might be outdoors more, so i'll have to learn to deal with either more cold weather, or the coat. i hope that gives you an idea of the amount of clothing needed to keep warm. however, this varies among people. there are some people that go around in shorts during the winter. others have to have a bubble jacket in 30-40 degree weather, while all i need is a hoodie and scarf. as for when to buy, just be prepared by october. sounds early, but midwestern weather can be crazy. in kansas, we can get blizzards in october. i'm not sure how indiana is, but i've just grown up where the weather can do anything at any time and you can't trust the weather man.</p>

<p>We live north of Purdue so the weather my son will be facing in school will seem milder this winter compared to what he is use to. That said, my son wears Vans for shoes and he has tennis shoes also. I don't think I've seen him in boots since elementary school so I can't help there. (yes even in our snow he has those shoes on!)</p>

<p>A knit cap for head and thick ski type gloves for hands on the coldest days. Again, I only see him wear these like if he wants to build a snowfort, lol. For the past several years he's worn a letter jacket which is wool and leather and he says it's plenty warm. I don't know that he will wear it in college though.</p>

<p>I agree with the above poster that it is indeed perspective. In the dead of winter my son wears long sleeve t's, never a sweatshirt or sweater although if it's super cold he will wear that soft fabric (sorry, can't think of the name). </p>

<p>The one thing I do know for a fact is it rains a lot at Purdue. At least a lot more than what we are use to north here. An umbrella is a must and some might like a stylish coat that is weatherproof. All the rain makes for beautiful greenery, and you are near the Wabash river. It's just that in my opinion it rains so much.</p>

<p>When you arrive in August and also posible in Sept and some days in Oct even it will be VERY hot and humid. You might want to wait and save the winter clothes for something to bring after a break sometime. That way too, you can kind of check out what things are like before bringing it all. </p>

<p>I would definitely suggest a fan for the dorm room. Every time we have been there, even in winter the rooms are hot. Hope this helps.
Mom :)</p>

<p>I would say that you should wait to bring your heavy winter clothes for Thanksgiving Break, but I would definitely keep something warm just incase it gets cold early, which it sometimes does. I am from southern Indiana and the coat that I have, which was usually too warm for home, is nothing for the weather here. I usually have a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and my winter coat. I also usually wear two pairs of gloves. I have many friends from Northern Indiana and their winter clothes are just perfect for here. The best winter coats that I have run into are Eddie Bauer. They are super warm and really hold up. My winter shoes are UGG, but I don’t think most men will be caught dead in them. Snow shoes are really important unless you want to be constantly wearing wet shoes. </p>

<p>I do agree that an umbrella is a must. Granted, I usually don't use mine because they are a hassle in class, unless it is just a terrible downpour. I usually wear flip flops when it is raining, otherwise I would suggest some different shoes for when it is raining or you will be stuck with the constant wet shoes, especially since it sometimes rains for days at a time.</p>

<p>A fan is a must!!</p>

<p>I think I would wait to start your winter shopping; most of the stuff you will find other places isn't going to be warm enough.</p>

<p>From hot, humid and sunny Singapore to bitter cold midwest...it'll be a interesting transition for me. Does West lafayette have good shopping to buy winter gear?</p>

<p>I'm from WI which is a little colder than Indiana and I was an exchange student in Finland. During the winter, in both WI and Finland, I wore near to the same things. I haven't wore a pair of boots since I was in elementary school but I did have some "winter shoes" in Finland that were very cozy and my mom has decided they are her permenant winter shoes and wears them all the time during the WI winter. If your not use to the cold I would say a warmer shoe may be something important to look for, the warmer your feet the warmer you stay. I very rarely find a pair of gloves or a hat necessary though if I am spending a lot of time outside I will definatly consider wearing them (I never left home without them in Finland). I mostly just wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans in the winter along with a winter jacket when I'm outside and I am usually plenty comfortable. Then again I 'm very use to the cold, if you haven't expierenced a winter in the midwest you may need to wear a little more clothing to be comfortable.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advice. I saw some snow boots at REI today on sale and didn't know whether to get them. Do you think a lightweight Columbia ski jacket with a fleece jacket underneath will be warm enough? I guess he can always buy a down parka when he gets up there. I did buy him a fold-up umbrella. Does anyone wear the Merrell jungle mocs up there? He has some but thinks they are dorky.</p>

<p>Tookie,
I wear a columbia ski jacket and I think it is just right. I'm sure it'll be fine for your son. Plus it's really nice in the fall to have the fleece part in the fall when nights get chilly but it's not cold enough to need a full jacket.</p>

<p>i wear a tshirt and shorts...with heavy stuff over it. i can't stand the fact that its so cold outside and it gets so damn hot inside classes. too bad you can't take off your pants in the middle of class (even if you have shorts underneath) without getting goofy looks.</p>

<p>So do a lot of kids get sick by getting hot, then cold, then hot? Are the dorms hot or is the heat adjustable? My S is used to a ceiling fan even in the winter.</p>

<p>Sorry I can't speak for Purdue but my kids have stayed/been in a lot of different dorms/different campus and not one yest has been adjustable. We are guessing that Purdue's won't either and planning for being too warm in there as well. Two of my kids had to sleep with the windows cracked in the dead of winter because it was so warm in their dorms. It seems that if the dorm temps were adjustable for the student that these schools would save a lot on utilitly bills! As for your other question, no, they did not seem to get sick because of this.</p>

<p>OH my, sorry about the typos there!</p>

<p>it is adjustable in some dorms i believe individually. i lived in meredith the previous year and the adjustment was every other room (we controlled our's and our neighbor's heat). we didn't really turn on the heat all that much, because the ambient temperature was pretty good. occasionally our neighbor's wanted it turned on, or turned off, but its seemed like they were all right with the temperature for the most part too.</p>

<p>boomer01 just out of curiousity since youve mentioned youre from singapore have u ever played the game 'GUNBOUND' or GB . Cuz i was in a clan with another boomer1 from singapore....</p>

<p>no never played that game</p>

<p>May I suggest Goretex hiking shoes? They are a tad pricey, but well worth the cost because they keep your feet dry. That holds true not only on snowy days, but also on mornings when dew is heavy. I wear mine year-round in climate very much like that of Purdue's. </p>

<p>A nice supplement to Goretex shoes is Smartwool or similar socks. They don't itch, but do wick moisture away from your feet. And they are thicker than normal socks, so cushion your feet. Like Goretex hiking shoes, they are expensive, but worth the cost.</p>

<p>A layered jacket will work great. Your son can use the outer shell in wet, warm weather, the inner fleece when it is a bit colder, and the whole thing on the coldest days. Columbia makes some nice ones. BTW, layering helps keep you warm and is better than a single garment.</p>

<p>Mittens keep hands warmer than gloves, but most kids won't wear them. </p>

<p>Most of your body head is lost through your head. A hat can make a huge difference in how warm you are. Fleece hats work well. </p>

<p>Long underwear may not be necessary. If your son wants some, he can purchase it at the local Walmart. Duofolds are my favorite.</p>

<p>For suppliers, Google on Campmor. They always have quality merchandise on sale.</p>