Collaborative vs Competitive

I am a high school Junior. Once you are in, would you say the following schools are competitive or collaborative, especially for the pre med track students. Are there enough resources for everyone? Or students would have to compete for them? Thank you so much.
University of Arkansas
University of Arizona in Tucson
Iowa State University
University of Iowa
University of Kansas
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
East Carolina University
North Carolina State
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
University of Toledo
University of South Carolina
University of Richmond
Virginia Commonwealth

Richmond may represent the school from this group with the most resources devoted to undergraduates, especially as experienced in the classroom:

5 Likes

Except for University of Richmond, these are all somewhat large public universities.

If you plan to apply to medical school in your future, you are going to find the coursework challenging at ALL of these schools (let’s just say
Ochem isn’t easier at one than at the others).

I’m quite sure all of these schools have professor office hours, and tutorial services for students if needed.

I would suggest that you look at the characteristics you want in a college and see which ones check off the most boxes for you. And are affordable.

6 Likes

Pre-med is an inherently competitive track. You are competing against your fellow students at the same college and those at other college for limited places in medical schools.

4 Likes

Challenging coursework would not feel too bad if taught by caring and supportive professors?

2 Likes

@Amazon123

You will find both caring and not so caring professors at every college.

My kid took Ochem, and actually thought the instructor was fabulous. It was also THE hardest course she took in undergrad school
and she was an engineering major. YMMV.

But all of the colleges you listed are fine.

Since you are looking at a lot of public universities, you might want to consider the costs for out of state students at all where you are not a resident. If finances are not an issue, apply wherever. But do keep in mind that medical school (should you get there) will be $100,000 a year most likely. And it is funded with loans loans and more loans
or help from the bank of mom and dad.

3 Likes

As @ucbalumnus mentioned, pre-med tends to be more competitive than other fields, including because at some colleges the classes are graded on a curve.

From your comments it sounds as though you’re looking for caring and supportive professors at a school with sufficient resources. What kind of resources are you thinking of?

If you let us know more about you and what you want out of a college, we may be able to provide suggestions of schools. In particular, letting us know about your academic background and budget would be particularly helpful. That can let us know whether to be thinking about honors colleges at larger public schools, or smaller privates that offer generous merit (or need-based) aid, etc.

2 Likes

“Caring and supportive” can look like very different things from a college professor than from a HS teacher. If you are looking for warm & cuddly, look at the Colleges That Change Lives*, not large state universities where even the TA sections can be large.

*ofc, no guarantee that all profs even at CTCL schools will feel ‘caring and supportive’

2 Likes

Not on your list but we found Kansas State pre med courses collaborative. They were not a cakewalk and prepared their students well for med/PA/veterinary schools. The professors there were very willing to work with students who asked for help/enrichment. In addition to regular class there were recitations each week to review the material and sections of the basic sciences set aside for pre health majors.

2 Likes

I am thinking resources such as the academic and career advisors, (free) tutoring opportunity, career center for internship, volunteering, research, shadowing opportunities, hoping to be in an environment where the students work collaboratively. Not sure how a school could encourage this type of environment but it seems like a few schools are successful at it (Baylor, Vandy)?

Most likely will not qualify for need based aid. We are middle class family. My stats are average (3.9 W GPA, 1360 SAT) but I have great medical related ECs, I work PT, a ton of leadership experiences. Hoping not having to take a loan for UG. $25K/year of COA or less would be ideal.

I tend to like large schools as I go to a big high school now. School spirit is important for me. Close proximity to a hospital is a preferable: either walking distance or a short drive away. Prefer non commuter schools.

Maybe I am looking for a unicorn
? :grimacing:

Thank you. Will look into Kansas State.

How so? Would you please elaborate?

Most colleges will have free career centers, tutoring, advisors, and volunteering. At larger schools you might have to do a bit more asking, but research and shadowing opportunities are available. The $25k budget is going to be the main constraining factor. What’s your state of residence?

1 Like

@WayOutWestMom would University of New Mexico meet these criteria and price point?

@tsbna44 what about Arizona and Alabama?

UNM would fit those criteria. State flagship, about 15K undergrads, plenty of school spirit, with a scholarship for their stats–UNM tuition + meal & housing would be around $20K/year.

UNM’s med school & hospital is directly across the street from the main campus. Presbyterian Hospital is less than a mile directly west of campus on Central Ave (which runs along the south side of main campus)

UNM scholarships info: Come to New Mexico! :: Office of Admissions | The University of New Mexico

1 Like

I’m sure all big flagships have the tutoring and career center, etc.

Tucson is a big city. Alabama, don’t know about the shadowing opportunities. There’s a DCH Hospital right next to school though. Look into the Mccullough Medical Scholars at Alabama. Link below.

As far as collaborative or not, engineering is. So I assume other areas are. Most of these large flagships that are not elite are not going to be cut throat - but pre -med anywhere is going to be hard.

My daughter’s friend at her public non elite got into Rice, Penn and Vanderbilt - and had to withdraw from Organic Chemistry. He’s taking it again now
so that’s going to be tough anywhere, etc.

Best of luck.

PS - with a 3.9 unweighted (not 3.89
literally a 3.9, you get $30K off at Arizona - so with room and board it will be $25K -ish. That’s auto merit.

At Alabama (using your test score too), you’d get $24K off auto merit with a chance to go up to $28K. But at $24K off, you’re about $8K tuition - so low 20s.

Even cheaper would be UAH or UAB - and UAB has a medical school so you might look at opportunities there.

Best of luck.

McCollough Scholars – Pre-Medical Studies at the University of Alabama (ua.edu)

1 Like

It might help to clarify what “caring and supportive” looks like to you?

By college you are an adult (even if just barely), and are preparing for adult life. Thus, the expectations on the level of responsibility that you are meant to take for your own learning are higher.

At U. of Louisiana-Lafayette, you would be eligible for the Magnolia Scholarship which would get you in-state tuition, an additional $2400/year in scholarships, and nearly $5200/year toward housing for your first two years. So costs would be about $17k for tuition, room & board for your first 2 years, and then about $22-23k/year for the last two years. It’s less than a mile to one major medical center and 1.8 miles to another, with a third 5.7 miles away (according to Google Maps). It’s classified as a commuter campus, but 57% of first year students live on-campus.

ETA: ULL has some very loyal fans, on the football field but also proud alums with the university license plates on their cars.

Will continue to think about other possibilities for you.

2 Likes

Grand Valley State (MI) is a residential college with about 19k undergrads. It looks as though you would be eligible for the Award for Excellence Scholarship which would waive the out-of-state fees and give you an additional reduction of $3500 on tuition, making your costs about $20-21k. If you’re able to raise your SAT by another 10 points, then you would get an additional $4500/year off, so about $16-17k/year. There are several health centers right around campus, but bigger hospitals are more around 13 miles away.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.