College Board Eliminates SAT Subject Tests & SAT w/ Essay

My post mentioned that the scores were correlated with grades, rather than were not correlated. I meant that the grades were correlated with scores for the minority of students who scored >1 on the AP exam.

The low physics 1 scores is a complex and multifaceted issue… more than just the effect grade inflation. For example, Bellaire appears the be the only non-selective HS in the report that had more than 7 students score 3+ (Debakey and Carnegie are selective). Grades are correlated with scores at Bellaire and the selective HSs. However, the other 24 HSs didn’t fair as well. Hardly anyone “passed” with a 3+ score, and the overwhelming majority scored a 1. At many high schools, nobody in the entire school scored 3+. Some examples of lower scoring schools are below.

Received 3+ on Physics 1
E-STEM Central – 0 out of 110 passed
Westbury – 1 out of 99 passed
Milby – 0 out of 65 passed
Austin – 0 out of 58 passed
Leland – 0 out of 46 passed

One of the reasons why Physics 1 has an especially low average is because a significant portion of the good scoring HSs do not offer the class. Perhaps they were not a fan of replacing Physics B with Physics 1/2 and chose to offer their own physics course instead. Physics 1 seems to have a higher concentration of kids from these lower scoring high schools than other APs.

Kids from the lower scoring schools also generally didn’t do well in other STEM subjects besides physics. For example, E-STEM Central High had 527 AP exams during 2019. Nobody at E-STEM Central scored 3+ in any AP subjects, not just Physics. However, E-STEM Central pulls down the overall district average more in Physics 1 than any other subject because they had more test takers in Physics 1 more than any other subject.

I don’t know enough about the specific HSs to know why most high schools had such high failure rates. In some cases, it can involve how the class is taught. Perhaps if a large portion of the class is not well prepared for the standard AP content, then the class may emphasize different material, resulting on no one being taught the full AP content and no one being well prepared for the exam. For example, the HS I attended used to have a ridiculously high failure rate in one of the regents math subjects. As I recall, it was >80% failed. There were some news stories, people complained, then the curriculum was modified to better prep for the regents test and avoid deviating from regents material. Suddenly the pass rate dramatically increased.

This touches on another limitation for using AP exams in college admissions. AP courses are often on a near college level, and most HS students are not prepared for taking that level of courses, particularly when taken before senior year or without a HS prerequisite (not taking HS physics before AP physics). It would probably be more appropriate for the majority of kids to stick to standard HS level courses and take no/few AP classes. Encouraging unprepared students to take the class can lead to a variety of negative consequences.

The way this would work in integrated systems (I am using the European system I know best as an example, but all integrated systems have protocols for that) is that a divergence of the exam grade from the course of a predetermined magnitude for an individual student would lead to a review of that students exam papers and possibly a additional oral exam to allow for a grade correction if appropriate, in whichever direction.

If the average of the whole class in the final papers diverges from the average of the classroom grades by a predetermined magnitude, the DoE moves in for a review of every single test that class’s students have taken over two years, and may correct the grades of one or the other if appropriate.

This happened to my H when his seniors did exceptionally well in their finals, much better than their classroom grades predicted. His principal at the time explained to him it didn’t mean they suspected foul play, but that he might have set unrealistic standards in his classroom tests or have been a very harsh grader.

(The result happened to be that he must have done an exceptional job in motivating and guiding students through revision, which can really make a difference when two years worth of content are being tested!)

If there is to be equity in using standardised testing based on classroom teaching, a system of this kind would be necessary to ensure it.

Of course, in integrated systems, teachers will have been trained to teach, test, and grade a specific curriculum in the first place. No public high school could get away with not offering AP level classes and tests, or not preparing kids adequately for the required tests, for whatever reason.

At our school most of the top kids take Onramps Physics. It’s a dual credit class with UT Austin.

That’s what I did. The started canceling all the SAT/ACT testing with rising junior.
This was her year to take them. I wrote the English dept head at the CC and he agreed to allow her in Eng I (transfer course). I enrolled her into 13 college units along with her homeschool course work and she got a 4.0 at the CC for the semester. She has currently 18 college credits with a 4.0.
I know how important test scores are for us and every test kept getting cancelled. I know schools went test optional, but not for homeschooled kids.
I enrolled her in 2 courses for the spring psych I and Eng 3 (advanced) she wanted to take Italian 3, but her CC didn’t offer it.
My DS scored high (33/34) on the ACT and all doors opened for him, but she is going to be different. I’m a bit nervous for her.

1 Like