College Dorm Tips and Purchases

D20 has the smaller cube fridge, she basically uses her fridge for drinks and condiments, with the occasional leftovers. She has never said she wished to have more room in her fridge.

Her dorm does have a very nice communal kitchen, when she and her friends cook meals, they use that larger kitchen and the full size fridge to hold supplies.

D20 had 2 totes and one IKEA bag her first year. No parents allowed to enter buildings (drop off in a field, parents drive home). You knowā€¦Covid. She had to be able to manage everything herself. This year, she has an eensy weensy single that is maybe 7ā€™X5ā€™ so absolutely no room for anything extraneous.

Wow, all of my kids ran out of OTC medicine before the first semester and I had to send more, constantly sick (and they were rarely sick in high school, lots of siblings so were sick a lot when they were younger). Iā€™m sure they shared. My freshman had the flu, strep, an ear infection plus various mystery viruses last semester alone.

Three daughters - yes
Two sons - no

I put condoms in my daughterā€™s medicine/first aid kit. Sheā€™s gay, but it just felt like a smart item to include. She has given some to friends along the way. She too ran out of medicine first semester and was rarely sick before college. Daytime cold/cough/flu medicine was used the most.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying my kids didnā€™t USE OTC meds. What Iā€™m saying isā€¦they didnā€™t use the box that I packed and sent with them. :woman_facepalming:t2:

But either of my kids used a thing to carry stuff to the bathrooms either. They just carried what they needed in their hands.

For showers, both had $1 flip flops from Old Navy.

The one thing D20 really liked was the stack of pics I printed and gave her on move-in day. I printed pics of her friends, family, the dogs and her favorite vacay trips. I gave her a couple long strands of fairy lights with little clips for pics.
She never used half the stuff we packed; we donated most of it during move-out. Her school partners with a local charity and they park uhaul trucks outside the dorms during move-out. You would be shocked at how many unused items get packed into those trucks. My favorite is always the stacks of ironing boards :joy: Less is more; thereā€™s always amazon, target/walmart or instacart if they really need something.

4 Likes

And important to rememberā€¦.whatever you take with you at move in, you will need to remove or have removed at move out. And there wonā€™t be upperclassmen to help you schlep the stuff at move out.

3 Likes

And on that note, there are no helpers when you return after freshman year.

1 Like

All the things that I responded as hits were things my S asked for after living at school. I agree that less is more and you can always order anything else later.

I totally agree with all the posts advising that less is more. Boys understand this. Girls, not so much. Although our son denied us a normal college experience, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek upthread as his boarding school dorm experience was exactly the same as a civilian college would have been. On the prep school forum, weā€™ve had a running thread comparing supply lists and tips since '07. What can I say? If you think you need a U-haul, youā€™re doing it all wrong. (Iā€™m looking at you, girls. :woman_facepalming:)

As for move-out. We never helped with that. The school recommended a company called All Campus Storage (there are many of these types of services in the NE) that would drop off boxes, tape, and pre-printed bar-code labels based on an online form the student filled out prior to the end of each school year. The student packed the boxes, affixed the labels, and left the boxes (or furniture) in the room for the company to pick up. The following school year, the boxes/items were delivered to the room as/before the student arrived. Price was per-box based on box size and was extremely reasonable, something like $50 for a large box.* Our son was able to pack up in four boxes. He shipped his electronicals and instrument home and boarded a plane with a backpack, roller bag, and one checked piece of luggage.

The academy had onsite storage for cadets and handled all of the logistics of getting them and their stuff to their first duty station post commissioning. So, after that first boarding school move-in (where seniors did the heavy lifting), we were superfluous.

*For seniors, for an additional fee, they would deliver/ship the boxes to the studentā€™s college the following fall. Many students continued to use the service throughout their college years.

S19 moved into the saddest looking single this Fall. Due to over enrollment/not as many juniors going abroad, he was just happy to get a single. It was old, dark, and run down looking. I think we spent an hour trying every imaginable configuration of bed, desk, and dresser.

Then I spent 2 hours on the drive home on Amazon and texting S19 getting his approval on a standing lamp, bright colorful large throw rug, and another poster for his wall. It looks great now but without seeing the space, we had no idea what he would need.

Rug - bought the grey (with red and white colors in it). Not cheap but great quality and I was feeling terrible leaving him in such a rundown room in the rundown section of the dorm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RH6BC3O?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Standing lamp - not cheap either but something he can use after college too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B088TRPZZG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Less is better. Amazon is amazing! Now if only D22 will listen to our adviceā€¦

Your description of your sonā€™s single brought back such memories of my sonā€™s freshman single. It was the tiniest room Iā€™d ever seenā€¦think Harryā€™s cupboard under the stairs. It took us quite a while to configure it but when I called to check in that first week to see how things were going he said great and he loved his room because he could reach everything from the bed!

4 Likes

We used a variation of that:
Put everything you used in the past 4 weeks in a huge bin. Wash/clean, then pack it. Done!

2 Likes