College List Feedback [3.96, 33, "need full aid" with FAFSA EFC = $0]

Blockquote Wonderful opprtunities can be had anywhere and you, not the school will make your success.

I absolutely agree. I would advise most people to go that route, but I want an experience out of college that the three state schools I would have no issue affording would not provide.

Blockquote Have you looked at W&L and the Johnson and SMU and the presidential?

A close friend of mine is going to W&L on a full ride but I would not want to attend owing to how dominated its social scene is by Greek life. Not familiar with SMU admittedly, I will look into it.

Blockquote Have you run the net price calculators at schools like Fordham and AU to see how much youā€™d have to pay ? Iā€™d look at meets needs only schools - F&M, BU, Miami etc and see what your contribution is.

Fordham, on an ROTC scholarship, would be a full ride so I only plan to apply if I also apply for and win the ROTC scholarship. AU and GW areā€¦not reassuring with net price calculators. Havenā€™t run any others yet.

Blockquote What if Rochester or Fordham say your cost is $30k? And thatā€™s your only option.

I donā€™t have an answer to this that includes attending college at 18, which is my problem.

Would my contact with admissions folks at AU be a demonstration of interest?

Blockquote If you want to become a military officer, have you considered the service academies?

I withdrew my West Point application-I do not believe that four years there would be for the best compared to ROTC at a civilian university, that also offers the Reserve option if I opt for it.

1 Like

My parents are not together, that applies.

To the second bit, ā€œreferredā€ might be the proper word? As in, Questbridge emailed me on suggestion from them.

SMP stands for simultaneous membership [in the Reserves while in AROTC].

I think you are missing the most important thing.

First and foremost, you need a school you can afford. You want to dismiss the home schools - and thatā€™s not wise. Now, if you really can afford $0, how would you pay to live - but thatā€™s another thing.

So Iā€™ll use my daughter as an example. She goes to College of Charleston. By ranking/perception, a middle of the road, regional public school. She chose it over much higher ranked schools - Washington and Lee (dad wasnā€™t paying the $80K plus price tag), Florida, UGA with Honors, U of SC with Honors (tops in the country), Maryland and more.

She just loved Charleston. She was also accepted into their Charleston Fellows and International Scholars programs. As it turns out, this mid level public school has several institutes and other things - sheā€™s met ambassadors and other dignitaries. Has a very accomplished professional mentor. Even had a school funded May Away trip. These are things that you hear at ā€œprestigious schoolsā€ but not the third ranked public in a state not known for education.

She went to Charleston because she felt right there - but as it turns out, they offer even so much more - and this Fall sheā€™ll be in the DC program.

The point is - donā€™t dismiss based on name or ranking. Find out what the school offers.

When I hear things like below - sorry - thatā€™s a horribly uninformed attitude. There are rockstars turning down Ivies on every state flagship like campus in Americaā€¦whether location, cost, whatever. My son turned down an elite engineering school and also, like my kid, went to a safety - just so he could have his own dorm roomā€¦whatever the reasonā€¦oh, and both my kids are doing just fine.

if I want it, I already have guaranteed full tuition at two of my state schools and Iā€™m a shoe-in for the same at another. I did not put the work I put in to go down that path and will not take it-Iā€™d rather not even apply.

So the reality is - things in life cost money - and you donā€™t have it - and itā€™s ok. But there are tradeoffs and this doesnā€™t work. Location, name, perceived ā€œprestigeā€ are things that might have to go away.

Frankly, I didnā€™t want to be too blunt but when I saw your initial email, I thought - this is a girl whoā€™s going to get shut out - not because you canā€™t get in to some but how will you pay. So short of an ROTC, youā€™re really not in a good position. Your reaches are unlikely. Your chosen list is - unlikely to give you the $$ that you need. You need to look at the list that was sent to you of schools that meet demonstrated need - and you need to go down from the ā€œreach part of that listā€ - to schools like Lafayette and Franklin and Marshall - still reaches and need aware, but more likely from an entrance POV for you.

Questbridge is a slam dunk idea for you (not admission) and I believe (but others can comment who know) - that it will give you better odds at the schools you are applying to regularly. And frankly, any school on that list that wants to give you free college - youā€™d be nuts not to pursue.

Another school you can look at is Berea College - which charges tuition to no one and is again, very good.

But you have to get past the I worked hard and I deserve better attitude. You worked hard so your overall life will be better - but you need the mechanism to get you there.

Iā€™d love to stay at the Ritz Carlton, downtown when I travel, right next to where Iā€™m going. But guess what, sometimes I have to stay at the Holiday Inn express, 20 miles away, by the airport, because itā€™s affordable.

We all have to make choices in life - and you need to learn that sooner than later and change your approach to this - both in your personal greatness - I have no doubt that you are and youā€™ll find similar kids at any school. My daughterā€™s bff at school got into Rice, Vandy, and Penn and yet goes to Charleston.

And in location - going to college in east podunk for free beats not going at allā€¦if you truly want to go away to college.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Iā€™m seeing Richmond as over 40% Greek when I look for it.

I have saved the link you attached, thank you. I will look into those.

Fall in love with something at all of your affordable safeties or they are not really safeties.

I simply cannot ā€œfall in loveā€ with my in-state safeties-Iā€™m honestly not considering them as being on the table and doubt Iā€™ll budge there.

You donā€™t need to fall in love with your in-state safeties, but you really should put in an application to the one you dislike the least. You donā€™t know what the world, or you, will be like on decision day next year and it is always nice to have something guaranteed. All you are doing is kicking the can down the road ā€“ you can reject them next spring just as easily as you can reject them this fall by not applying ā€“ but this way your future self gets to weigh in as well.

7 Likes

This is rather tangential but I just saw the SCOTUS ruling-huzzah! I admit that this alleviates some of my stress-definitely believe that it will massively improve my shots at a reach.

Thatā€™s fair-thank you.

2 Likes

My 2 cents is that with such high need it is likely that you may have to compromise on some of your wants. Only you can know what those compromises could be.

5 Likes

hmmm - donā€™t assume that this will massively improve your chance at a reach - it likely wonā€™t.

Schools will adjust how they choose to still retain a diverse class. Donā€™t forget, they are ā€œholisticā€. It may help but this is certainly no assurance for you.

Youā€™ve done great work - but so have zillions of others.

And until you do the NPCs - even if you got into Princeton - it doesnā€™t matter - if it comes with a bill you canā€™t pay.

You need to change the entirety of your view and attitude on the subject unless you are prepared to go to community college, join the military, get a job, etc. I hope it works out - but in the chance it doesnā€™t, you are leaving yourself with no four year higher education options.

8 Likes

@ShivomP please read the whole thread Iā€™m linking below. It is a must read for every student who doesnā€™t have a true sure thing school on their application list. You have chosen a lot of competitive schools and you might get acceptedā€¦but you might not. The student in this thread was a NMF, either class val or Sal, excellent ECs, excellent LOR. An excellent admissions package. No one expected he would be rejected at every school he applied toā€¦but he was. It was a horrible last semester in high school and early summer awaiting some waitlist results that ultimately were rejections. He had a happy ending after a very well thought out gap year. His second list of applications included several fine colleges where he was very very likely to be accepted. And some reaches also.

And this was in 2005 when admissions were far less competitive than they are now.

Please read this.

7 Likes

Your hard work has lots of intrinsic benefits that will benefit you long after you graduate from college. But more germane to the topic, that hard work may compel some schools to give you a full ride to attend them. You are likely to have many more options than a student with a 3.5GPA and a 30 ACT (which is still a good result), much less people whose stats are lower than that.

Did you look at the list of schools I shared in your other thread? Is it worth applying to GW or American if one needs a full ride? - #30 by AustenNut

Based on your aversion to a robust Greek life, Iā€™d take a look at Syracuse, Gustavus Adolphus, U. of Tampa, and U. of San Francisco as schools that offer room & board to ROTC scholarship recipients and where I suspect your odds would be better than at some of the schools on your current list to get admitted with sufficient funding.

7 Likes

If you are interested in ROTC, have you considered joining the reserves? I have a relative looking into that right now, and from what it sounded like, you could join now as a high school student (which would start the clock ticking on the enlistment period), do basic training next summer, and still go to college while doing your one (long) weekend a month duty. I think it was something like full ride level benefits and you enter after college as an officer to finish your commitment.

2 Likes

Sometimes you have to go to schools that are offering you the money and you canā€™t design the perfect school. Want to go to Rice? Itā€™s in Texas and you canā€™t change that. Want big time sports? That is usually going to mean a bigger campus and Greek (not everyone can go to Notre Dame or BC)

Lots of people report here that W&L offers plenty of opportunities to those who arenā€™t Greek. Donā€™t rule it out just because of one aspect. If you have plenty of money, you can be pickier, but if you need money, you have to go where the money is offered. Because you already have 2 safety schools with full tuition, you need to ask yourself ā€œWould I rather go to Utah or to W&Lā€ If the answer is Utah, cross all others off your list.

5 Likes

@DramaMama2021 can you talk about greek life to this student @ W&L.

ā€œA close friend of mine is going to W&L on a full ride but I would not want to attend owing to how dominated its social scene is by Greek life.ā€

In this case, I disagree with OPs assessment that her path is no easier to get into top programs.

For those with the 33 ACT, which is outstanding by the way, and and the imperfect grades /rigor I think these kids will find the reach schools ā€œreachierā€ if you will, moreso than prior.

Perhaps Iā€™m wrong but itā€™s how I see it.

Good luck to OP.

1 Like

I hesitate speaking to our famiyā€™s opinion of Greek life at W&L since the OP mentioned they have a friend attending. Presumably they know each other well and how well they would fit in to that campus.

I will suggest to the OP that they look past the stats on Greek participation at any school and find out what Greek life is at that institution. The Greek experience can vary quite a bit. In our experience some of the schoolā€™s with the highest participation offer a more inclusive recruitment experience.

If the OP decides to look further at W&L, Iā€™m happy to answer any questions. My D is very happy there and is in a sorority and a member of Panhellenic Executive Council. She would not have participated in Greek life at many other schools.

1 Like