College List Feedback [3.96, 33, "need full aid" with FAFSA EFC = $0]

Hello,

After many months of researching, I have compiled what I consider to be a fairly thorough list of colleges to apply to for myself. I am a student with a 3.96 GPA, family income near 0 EFC, and 33 ACT score, who would need full aid. I plan to join ROTC in college and have also researched campus culture heavily-I would not want somewhere consumed by frats, etc. I would very much like to attend college in DC and have thus included all schools in the territory excepting the all-female Trinity and Howard, owing to the musings of Howard alumni I know, who have complained rather seriously about the situation the college is in and the state of faculty. I have not decided on a major but it shall most likely be either history, communications, or a foreign language/area study.

I am interested in suggestions for colleges to cut or add, thoughts generally, feedback, etc.

Thank you.

The List

Reach:

Georgetown University

Princeton University

Harvard University

Yale University

Brown University

Target:

George Washington University

Fordham University

University of Rochester

Emerson College

Safe:

Catholic University of America

American University

I’m a little concerned that your target and safe schools might not be affordable. I think University of Rochester meets full need for all, but I don’t believe the others guarantee to do so.

This could be a serious obstacle for you. Your safe/sure things are not so if they are not affordable.

9 Likes

I think OP expects to get a ROTC scholarship

Will that pay the full cost of attendance? If so…than that’s a good thing.

Have you looked at Questbridge ?

While it may not get you to the location of choice , assuming a lower family income, the you could get a full ride. Much of your reach list participates and I believe, maybe incorrectly, it could help your odds.

You might run NPC at schools like AU. If you need full coverage, they are unlikely to provide. The ROTC is great but not assured. Are you sure of you get that it covers all ?

Also your home state may have a generous program for low income. My main concern is your reaches are unlikely and you don’t have meets need schools in as backups except Rochester. Have you run their NPC? $0 efc doesn’t mean they expect $0 contribution. They use css, not fafsa

Best of luck.

Look at questbridge.org if you haven’t.

I hope to, but I don’t expect to. Considering SMP as well and the whole matter is a bit of a maze, frankly.

Of the schools on my list, Questbridge only applies to Yale, Brown, & Princeton.

if I want it, I already have guaranteed full tuition at two of my state schools and I’m a shoe-in for the same at another. I did not put the work I put in to go down that path and will not take it-I’d rather not even apply.

I’ve been nominated for Questbridge four times, but a comparison of their early and regular early decision rates (particularly at Ivies where I’d have a full ride without their program), suggested to me that I’m better off not applying.

In regards to your public, I would say that’s silly. Wonderful opprtunities can be had anywhere and you, not the school will make your success.

That said, Questbridge is not full tuition but full ride. Even at the schools that you are interested that are on your list, I believe (maybe incorrectly) that QB would enhance your odds.

Have you looked at W&L and the Johnson and SMU and the presidential?

Have you run the net price calculators at schools like Fordham and AU to see how much you’d have to pay ? I’d look at meets needs only schools - F&M, BU, Miami etc and see what your contribution is.

While I understand your attitude and appreciate your confidence I’m a bit concerned with your lists structure if you have nothing to contribute financially. Need aware schools may hold that against you.

Your reaches are that and I’d rather see questbridge if your income is low enough. Or meets needs schools.

What if Rochester or Fordham say your cost is $30k? And that’s your only option.

It’s very important, given your financial situation, to not just choose schools you’d like - but rather schools you can afford.

And please don’t thumb your nose at any of them - even your state school.

Good luck.

6 Likes

Have you run the net price calculator on the financial aid web site of each college on your list?

Note that ROTC scholarships are competitive, and may award less than full ride amounts to some students.

If you want to become a military officer, have you considered the service academies?

American University should not be considered a safety generally. If you are “overqualified” by stats (GPA, test scores, etc.), then you need to play the level of interest game to avoid being seen by American University as someone using it as a “safety” behind Georgetown or George Washington. The best way to do this is to apply ED, although applying ED would not be wise unless its net price calculator shows an affordable price, and it is your true top choice.

4 Likes

That leaves room and board to pay for (say $12k-$16K), books, incidentals, possibly health insurance (if you don’t have adequate insurance now, or are on state Medicaid)…how will you pay for those things at non-meet full need schools? Please run the NPCs on each school’s site. NPCs may not be accurate if your parents are divorced, own a business, or own real estate in addition to a primary home…are any of those the case for you?

QB is not a nomination based program. I’m not sure I’ve seen their early and regular decision acceptance rate by school…do you have a link?

1 Like

What is SMP (for those of us unfamiliar with the abbreviations).

Re: Questbridge…agree…not a nomination program. You apply. I think it’s worth the time and effort…it’s a full free ride if you get it. I would urge you to look at the list of schools where this could matter…again.

As I said earlier…I’m not sure you will receive full rides even with ROTC and SMP (whatever that is)…and if that is the case, none of the Target and safe schools on your list will be affordable.

Here is the stats for questbridge. I would not dismiss vs applying to the same school as a regular student. When you read a school’s admissions summary, they are actively seeking out these applicants.

Btw even if you go to school outside DC and you have schools on your list outside DC, many offer a DC semester. My daughter will be in one this fall.

https://www.questbridge.org/high-school-students/national-college-match/finalist-profile

2 Likes

Deleted

2 Likes

If you apply to UMD, please do so in their early admissions round. They accept the bulk of their inc9mong class in the early round.

4 Likes

For communications major and meets need, look at Syracuse. Newhouse is highly regarded.

SU doesn’t guarantee to meet need, except for I believe a certain group on Central NY kids in a program that uses Pell and other funds.

Op really does need to check NPCs with her family.$0 EFC doesn’t mean no contribution.

Or perhaps OP can look at schools that have income based plans.

I do worry that OP is , if ROTC doesn’t come through, going to be shut out from an affordability perspective.

3 Likes

I know someone starting this fall at cuse with basically 0 efc from ohio who got most covered.

1 Like

Could be - just noting they don’t guarantee to meet us all. Except a small subset of central New Yorkers.

I understand how hard you have worked and there may well be a 5 to 10 percent chance you are admitted to a meets full need, highly selective college. We will all celebrate if that does happen. You should qualify for application fee waivers, so by all means use the common app, questbridge, etc…to your advantage with a balanced list.

Remember, you are equally qualified as many other applicants, and mathematically, it is best to apply to your two instate options and not miss deadlines for their honors colleges or other opportunities there. There are fabulously brilliant students at every state flagship. Drop those dates on your calendar now.

Keep all options open at this point. Fall in love with something at all of your affordable safeties or they are not really safeties.

As others have stated, look at the service academies if open to ROTC and looking for a selective school. The Naval Academy in Annapolis seems to fit much of your criteria, but there are steps and politics to go that route. There are other recent strands which cover that.

Revisit the colleges on the meets full needs lists and read the fine print that distinguishes them for someone with an EFC of 0. Here's Every College That Offers 100% Financial Aid

4 Likes