College response to terrorism in Israel

Hmm. Not sure if I’d “respect & appreciate young people being passionate” about praising Hamas’s creativity in slaughtering 1400 people in Israel, which is what SJP said at Tufts. There is a line. It needs to be recognized.

10 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

And that the so-called “elite” colleges are attracting and enabling a group of students with less than elite character.

Of course application numbers to these places will likely increase for the next application cycle because it’s “T20 or Die” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Perhaps, but IMO activism is rewarded in admissions over critical thinking skills.

9 Likes

The threats at Cornell were all over CNN yesterday. I’m so glad the FBI is investigating and President Pollack didn’t mince words. Hopefully they ID the people who made the threats and if they are students, they are expelled.

3 Likes

A pro-Israeli college staff member assaulted a pro-Palestinian student protester at a rally near campus. The victim ( who happens to be Jewish) declined to press charges.

3 Likes

And what is good about this?
Lady is in distress from loosing family members and friends. She feels bad that students and her country (the US) allow such protests. Sadly, she probably will lose her job.

Never suggested anything was good about this. Those not fully in control of themselves should not attend protests. Not just Jewish students have reason to be afraid.

1 Like

Person of interest identified in the Cornell case: Person in custody following a series of antisemitic threats made against Cornell University’s Jewish community

I wonder if they’ll release a name and if it’s a student.

A lot of schools with antisemitic groups have been funded to basically do so.

in the period between 2001 and 2021, precisely after the September 11 attacks, the Qataris donated a whopping $4.7 billion to universities in the United States

Hm - $235 Mio a year, distributed over who-knows-how-many institutions?

I’m not sure that this supports the assertion that “a lot of schools with antiseptic groups have been funded to basically do so.”

I also don’t quite see how money donated to a University budget leads individual students to form and become active in antisemitic groups? If that’s how it truly worked, then I suspect that many elite colleges should have ten-times as many zionist groups than antisemitic.

Reminds me of my youth, when supposedly every socially-conscious or pacifist group was automatically claimed to be funded by Russia. (But I’ll definitely tell my daughter that she should be getting paid by some Sheikh for any demonstrating she might be doing.)

5 Likes

Good luck to her. I’m still waiting for George Soros to send my Occupy checks from 2011 :wink:

(Speaking of antisemitic tropes, by the way.)

6 Likes

Do students from the countries that donate money get admission as part of the donation?

I am appalled and disgusted by the antisemitic and terrorist sympathizing protests that have taken place at so many campuses, but going only by what’s stated in this article (I don’t have any additional information), this particular protest seems to have been peaceful. So with regards to the US allowing such protests - the first amendment explicitly allows it.

4 Likes

Can they row? :wink:

Let’s see - 385 of the latest class at Columbia University were international, but Qatar isn’t among the top 10 countries (such a Brazil and Nigeria). I’ll venture a guess that this Qatari student might feel quite lonely in their club?

https://undergrad.admissions.columbia.edu/apply/process/class-profile

UPenn had 387 from 97 nations, most coming from Canada, the UK, China, India, and Hong Kong. That doesn’t leave much for a Qatari “quota”, to then successfully brainwash the remaining 2,419 other students?

https://admissions.upenn.edu/how-to-apply/what-penn-looks-for/incoming-class-profile

3 Likes

Yes, that is why the phrase - “Money does not smell” works here. Universities should have the courage to refuse millions of dollars if they smell…

1 Like

Any donor can specify how money should be used.
You can donate to Black students, Jewish students, low income, some county with some major etc. So I am sure that there are scholarships for foreign students from X country, or recent immigrants from the Middle East etc.

2 Likes

More importantly, is there a picture of them rowing on a river or a lake?

What, Qatar has no rivers or lakes? Why does that matter?

3 Likes

I’m stating this NOT as my position, but…

that is actually the argument used by students’ “divestment” campaigns, that want their universities to divest from businesses that benefit from occupied territories.

So this too goes “both ways”.

3 Likes

The donations by Qatar were to build branch campuses in the country of Qatar–so, yes, Qatari students are admitted to these schools based in their country.

1 Like