College response to terrorism in Israel

This is a double standard. Why is the assaulting staff allowed to feel bad about her loss, but the others who also feel a loss (Gaza civilian loss - they were protesting for ceasefire) are not? Both sides have lost - and by the way - Hamas is NOT a side - when I say both sides have lost - I am speaking of the innocent who lost on October 7th, and the innocent Gaza civilians who are losing now. The protestors were being peaceful, nothing about supporting Hamas or any hatred; the staff member was being violent. I thought violence was NEVER an excuse. Why is it allowed for some who have had a loss, but not others? She deserves to lose her job for assaulting a student. The student who was assaulted was Jewish - does she not count because she was protesting for a ceasefire? I am so impressed with the studentā€™s cool.

6 Likes

Oh boy - I have no doubt this letter by Barnard and Columbia faculty will raise tempers, despite this disclaimer:

It is worth noting that not all of us agree with every one of the claims made in the studentsā€™ statement, but
we do agree that making such claims cannot and should not be considered anti-Semitic.
Their merits are being debated by governmental and non-governmental agencies at the highest level, and constitute a terrain of completely legitimate political and legal debate.

Columbia Faculty Letter: Grave Concerns About the Well-Being of Our Students.

At least it distracts from any US News Rankings news. :wink:

2 Likes

https://x.com/tom_winter/status/1719423950625587660?s=46&t=IBxl5W5RBHu6aiPp-s1MeA

BREAKING | NBC News: Cornell University says a person has been identified as a suspect in the threats that were sent to the school over the weekend targeting its Jewish community.

Two law enforcement officials say the person is being questioned by law enforcement at this time.

1 Like

Yale

https://nypost.com/2023/10/30/media/yale-campus-newspaper-censors-pro-israel-writers-column-on-hamas-beheading-men-raping-women/

4 Likes

What Should a Jew Do?

ā€¦ hopefully look past the sensationalized summarization of some of the events, and go back to the source material. At least the incidents I were familiar with, played out quite differently than what the authorā€™s Cliff-notes want to make you think.

But I completely understand that this is indeed an important concern for many anxious parents.

5 Likes

I am not sure that I would send my child now for education to Israelā€¦ But you know what I think?
Some schools that I would never consider for Jewish kids may now appear quite appealing. If the school is moderately conservative and used to be religious, the probability of big pro-Palestinian or antisemitic events that will not be stopped by the administration is lower. Probably there are exceptions and few Jews may be on campus in those places. However, big fights between opposite sites are now more likely in big public schools and top privatesā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™m with you. My DSā€™s list has been completely upended. Schools that were high on the list are off, and vice versa.

4 Likes

Yep, I would not send my child now to hot spots of antisemitismā€¦ There are many great schools in the US, and I do not want my kidā€™s safety to be jeopardized. I do not think it is a good idea to go to Harvard or NYU and hide that you are a Jew. My DD is in Rhodes with a big Magen David on her neck every day in college (grandparentsā€™ present from their visit to Israel), attends Hillel events, and goes to the nearest synagogue for major holidays. The whole school knows that she is Jewish (there are Jews there but not many) and there are no concerns for her safety. I was initially very worried about sending her there, but now I am very happy with our choice in light of all events.

2 Likes

I am not Jewish, but I am completely uninterested in sending my kids to colleges that do not react appropriately or where there are large populations of antisemites that feel comfortable expressing such hatred. There are schools that are off my list because I know that the administration has stood up for Black or LGBTQ students, but for some reason become mute when the subject of abuse are Jewish students.

13 Likes

This is us too. I mentioned upthread that weā€™re Catholic but Iā€™m not sending my kids anywhere with large groups of antisemites or where the administration seems to be unclear on the issue. I have a junior and suddenly some of those Catholic schools we didnā€™t really prioritize are moving up the list.

7 Likes

i can not fathom why some schools will not tolerate any hate against other races or LGBTQ; and yet are mute here. it makes no sense. what is going on?? iā€™d be fearful if i had a kid who was another race, ethnicity, on the spectrum, etc. I feel like iā€™m losing trust in any sort of DEI, Equity, etc statements from schools.

6 Likes

Baptist schools are performing well here too.

5 Likes

I believe the term is antisemitism

Same here.

2 Likes

I think it is just as much - and likely a good deal more - fear of being accused of Islamophobia or of not sympathizing with (alleged) Palestinian oppression. These are serious issues, too, and I think it puts many school admins in a very tricky position. Some cases are surely cut and dry - slurs, attacks, personal threats, etc. But others are not: is supporting Palestinian rights and sovereignty inherently an antisemitic position?

4 Likes

Reminder that Jews are by far the most respected group in the US.

Also, free speech is a good thing. Censoring viewpoints that are uncomfortable for some will only make any perceived divisions worse. Universities donā€™t meet to be caving to a mob mentality.

How do you define or quantify ā€œmost respectedā€?

2 Likes

According to who? Source for that reminder?