College response to terrorism in Israel

I surely hope that anyone being both physically and verbally assaulted would never be tolerated, regardless of the perp’s head cover.

3 Likes

I know we agree, I’m just trying to make a point that if this wasn’t a Jewish student but a Black or LGBTQ+ student, Harvard would be raising hell by now.

5 Likes

If they were targeted because of their minority status (orientation, race, etc.) I would think so too.
Without such “aggravated” factor, the infraction might possibly be weighted differently?

So does anyone think applications will be down specifically at Cornell for this next cycle and maybe some of the other Ivy’s in the news projecting overt antisemitism on their campuses. I for one think there will be a decline in apps. But where will those apps go?

Can I please, respectfully ask posters to consider not using African Americans as their go to analogy for political points that they would like to make. I am only speaking for myself, not for other black folks on CC, but I personally find it pretty upsetting and it has been said several times in this thread. The numbers of African American posters within the CC community is quite small, which I find quite frustrating and very alienating in general. Thus on this web site, there is sometimes a lot of talking (and generalizing) about black people’s experience by people who are not actually black. It has happened not just in this thread about antisemitism also in other threads about different topics.

Often when my racial group is discussed as a point of comparison, the implication is that somehow black Americans garner more compassion and are less demonized than any other minority groups. I’ve read people on CC say similar stuff about hate directed towards Whites, Asian-Americans, certain geographic regions, and so forth. The go to statement seems to be “no one would say or do X without being condemned if the offense were directed towards someone black.” I have a lot to say about why I don’t necessarily believe that is true, but I generally keep silent about my thoughts because I don’t want to distract from the actual topic (for instance antisemitism), which is incredibly important in its own right. But if posters wants to talk about the African American experience why can’t that be a topic on its own rather than as a comparison? Why must African Americans be referenced when it is useful for scoring political point or making comparisons or to create a hierarchy of oppressions and appropriate responses. Why can’t we just condemn antisemitism?

17 Likes

My apologies Alqbamine32, I don’t mean to offend.

4 Likes

I know that you did not intend to hurt or offend, and that is why I hesitated to post. Thank you for hearing my request with grace and understanding that I was trying to write respectfully and politely.

2 Likes
1 Like

The feds have been struggling for over 30 years to figure out how to define and collect hate crime data. As an example, the most recent data for Florida shows a single hate crime over an entire year, and it wasn’t an anti-Jewish crime. These numbers are minimally informative.

I agree that it doesn’t tell the whole story. I respect everyone’s perspective and lived experience, and their thoughts are certainly part of the conversation.

Where this survey matters is how it provides an alternate perspective of the overarching public narrative that conflates antisemitism with violence, and the censorship associated with that conflation. The ADL would have you believe 85% of people are antisemitic, which obviously conflicts with the survey showing overwhelming positive opinions of Jewish people. They believe antisemitism leads to hate/violence, so opinions they deem to be antisemitic must be censored. As the ADL’s own pollster suggested, there is no predictive value between their definition of antisemitism and hate/violence. As is the case virtually all of the time, censorship is not the answer here.

College kids are naturally dramatic. The NYU incident was reported as “…students violently tearing down posters…” How does a person violently tear down a poster? Also, the incidents at Columbia and Harvard were widely reported as random acts of violence toward Jews, but in both cases, there was more to the story.

Over time, these kids will learn to dial down the temperature, and the current events are just Deescalation 101.

1 Like

Until someone is “inspired” to make a threat online - or worse next time, won’t make a threat but will just act. They need help from adults around them to turn down the temperature rather than allowing it to keep going up.

4 Likes

They are not confused. Just trying to ‘de-escalate’ and hoping it will all go away (so they don’t have to take a stand).

2 Likes

These aren’t children. These are young adults at some of the most prestigious schools in the world. You don’t get an antisemitism free pass just because you might someday realize you’re wrong.

8 Likes

In a lot of cases grad school students. They are old enough to know what they’re supporting. And frankly, you can support Palestinians and right to a state, and work to improve their lives. But if that entails supporting a terrorist organization they shouldn’t just be expelled, but investigated for potentially providing financial support to a terrorist organization.

4 Likes

More context about this. From what I have read, there was a pro-Palestinian “die-in” protest going on. There was campus security around that protest that indicated what was going on, and most people walked around that protest.

This male student, who DID NOT identify himself as Israeli or Jewish, nor wore something to indicate he was, decided to walk through it. As a paved pathway through Harvard, that was his right, but it was also intentionally provocative.

I think he got the over-reaction he was looking for.

3 Likes

There is an overarching historic reality that serves to conflate antisemitism with violence. Are you questioning this history or the linkage between antisemitism and violence against Jews?

6 Likes

IME students are too poor to provide substantial financial support to anyone.

The political clubs/organizations they belong to may not be too poor.

1 Like

Maybe not,but money usually flows to student groups, not from them

Key word is usually. Everything about these groups is unusual- when they are essentially saying a terrorist organization is not terrorist but justified in their actions, it should make people question whether they are encouraging others to financially support terrorist activities; fundraise for those activities; network/reach out to larger deeper pockets to financially support those activities. These are not the same as the local tennis club. They have local chapters but is a national organization with - from what I’ve heard - documents that essentially say they are part of the Hamas movement. Does that mean they are making these kids the information operations arm/the propaganda arm of the terrorist organization?

3 Likes

I am only speaking of recent years in America, which covers the time and location for the survey, many of the ADL’s activities, and the events on college campuses.

With tropes defined so broadly by the ADL that 85% of the public can be classified as antisemitic, the survey showing such a positive impression of Jewish people indicates that nowhere near 85% of people are harboring hate. It shows the exact opposite.