College response to terrorism in Israel

The knots apologists tie themselves into trying to find equivalency never ceases to amaze.

4 Likes

Many states have anti mask laws. It’s very easy to make a law/rule that prohibits masks used for the purpose of concealing one’s identity and specifying that masks used for medical,religious, theatre productions, holidays etc are exempt.

3 Likes

There is no “will” for me, because I’m through except for one, maybe two, more grad schools. And those two will make their own decisions w/o asking me, so that’s that.

Would it have influenced where I fee comfortable? No more than BLM did which, if we all remember back, was a fairly big and polarizing issue in the U.S. I wanted my kids to experience other perspectives and see other people passionately advocating for their POV. It’s healthy IMO, whether you agree with an issue or not.

Having said that, we’re not Jewish and any accompanying antisemitism would be troubling if we were. Don’t know how we’d navigate that aspect of it since antisemitic people are everywhere.

I would try and think about the school itself separate from the group protesting something with which I disagreed (like this situation). The protests come and go. The school is the school, and you can only pick one. So, I’d probably send my kids to, for example, Columbia, notwithstanding what’s been going on there.

Intifada: A Palestinian uprising against the Israeli occupation

Globalizing, at least to some, is meant to discourage providing support to Israel, as the US is doing.

What makes the whole situation especially poignant is that it’s by and large the same crowd that until very recently was insisting that “speech is violence” and lodging complaints of microaggressions that is now yelling openly genocidal slogans through megaphones.

6 Likes

Intifada is an older word that refers to a rebellion or uprising and has been used in many contexts. Some examples listed on wikipedia: Intifada - Wikipedia

Generally intifada when used in the Israeli-Palestinian context refers specifically to terrorist violence. I lived in Jerusalem during the second intifada. I was fortunate and was not directly affected by violence. But, the public bus I normally took to school was bombed at my bus stop, 15 minutes after I had taken the bus prior. The cafe I normally frequented was bombed one day when I was not there. The school cafeteria was bombed, etc.

This isn’t something that we want to see globalized, I don’t think.

5 Likes

Seems you were affected plenty by the elected Gazan government’s actions. Not sure how you think you weren’t.

Missing a bomb explosion on your regular route and then missing one again at your frequented cafe 
 that’s pretty direct to me. I guess if you mean you needed to be blown up yourself for it to be direct, then the point’s taken. It’s direct enough for me.

2 Likes

It is absolutely the same crowd, which should never been confused with the “right to express yourself” first amendment crowd. It’s the ‘rules for thee but not for me’ people.

3 Likes

Yes, of course it was distressing that the violence came so close to me, and that other students and neighborhood residents were injured or killed. (to be honest, I was even sad for the suicide bombers themselves; it is just plain awful that anyone would encourage and support people in taking that kind of action.)

2 Likes

Well, what people choose to comment on is neither here nor there. People in cabinet are free to make observations.

And, at any rate, doesn’t he make a point related to and consistent with the one you made on the legacy discussion? And that point being, of course, that it’s really hard for institutions to lose the financial support of their friends, even those institutions with north of $40 billion in their coffers.

Or do you think alienating Jewish giving won’t have much of an effect on gifts? Seems like I’d pay attention to his message unless I didn’t care about money.

I would not encourage you to walk up to a large pro Palestinian protest on a college campus while wearing a yarmulke and Star of David necklace, say shalom and then ask them about that distinction.

4 Likes

This is false.

Although now that you mention it, are you saying that “globalize the intafada” and like speech is violence? If so, then how do you reconcile this with your apparent disagreement with those unidentified people you criticize as having insisted that sometimes “speech is violence?” Same question for @cquin85?

The list of signatories of the infamous Harvard student letter that professed to “hold the Israeli regime entirely responsible for all unfolding violence” while Hamas was still roaming the streets murdering innocent civilians, days before Israel even began responding, reads like a Who is Who of the DEI grievance industry.

Can’t put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Am I? Where?

I am saying that calls for violence are calls for violence, yes. But that is trivially true.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I think MIT Free Speech Alliance got this right, and I hope that MIT administration will too.

https://mitfreespeech.org/news_manager.php?page=34019

“[u]niversities can place appropriate time, place, and manner restrictions on campus protests and demonstrations to ensure the right to free expression is meaningfully preserved while also fulfilling the institution’s mandate to maintain operations and protecting community members’ physical safety. MIT’s guidelines were violated in the course of the daylong demonstration blocking passage through Lobby 7 and MIT’s Infinite Corridor and using amplified sound. Some interim sanctions have been levied and more may be coming, and we are watching the Institute’s response. Universities must make clear that the right to free expression does not confer the right to disrupt classroom, research, and administrative operations, and that refusal to abide by reasonable time, place, and manner guidelines can bring significant sanctions.”

6 Likes

“Another speaker, a young woman who identified herself as being one of many “anti-Zionist Jewish students” on campus, aimed her message against “politically Zionist” organizations. “Don’t let the Jewish Federation in Rochester, the leadership of Hillel on our campus, or the administration of this university send you messages full of Islamophobic tropes,” she urged. “

1 Like

Has anyone wondered why there are not protests on campuses or CC threads titled “College response to genocide in Dafur”?

Or “College response to Turkey’s genocide of Kurds”

Or “College response to occupation of South Ossetia”

Or “College response to occupation of Northern Cyprus”

I wonder why that is?

Because there were no protests on college campuses related to these and other similar events?

For that matter, there was pretty much no news overall, let alone outrage.

3 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

Because apparently, the 18-22 year olds on college campuses take their cues for outrage from social media. It’s sad, but true. Someone posted an article on another thread about how this is the first war this generation has known. Apparently, they were asleep through all the violence and wars in previous years - Ukraine/Russia and all the less well known wars in the world that you mentioned.

3 Likes

For the college crowd, absolutely. Many, many of those shouting at the protests have been swept up in the outrage flavor of the season. There will be another to replace it soon. Just watch.

3 Likes