College Search for D24, West Coast, undecided [considering industrial design] major [CA resident, 3.85 GPA, 34 ACT, <$40k (FA unlikely)]

I have trouble thinking they would add enough over the CSU and WUE campuses available to her.

SFU may come within the stated budget, but UBC appears to be a little above the stated budget even with the cheapest major (tuition varies by major) and cheapest housing.

(The above assumes that the student is not a citizen of Canada and will be paying international student tuition at universities there.)

1 Like

Because of the diffficulty in changing majors at a number of the California publics, I looked for other schools where there might be a number of majors of possible interest. Kansas State is one, though it’s not a mecca for those who love skiing and mountains. But, it might be worthwhile to look at some of the majors to see if any of them strike your daughter’s fancy, as that could also give additional direction with respect to other universities to research (i.e. that have the same majors she thinks look interesting).

Kansas State: Gets 218 days of sun, more than the U.S. average of 205. K-State frequently makes the list of the happiest undergraduate students in the country. The school itself leans liberal and in 2022 the state’s voters rejected an amendment that would have eliminated abortion protections. Intramurals are quite popular here, too. There’s even a class on poles & silks. There are significant studios and fabrication spaces, too. With a 30 ACT and your daughter’s current GPA, she would have the out-of-state tuition fees waived entirely (source), making this school a great bargain at around $21k, meaning that if your daughter needed some extra time to complete a major once she decided on one, that there would be money available to do so.

• Agricultural Technology Management:

Agricultural technology management professionals focus on integrating their knowledge of technology and natural resources with communications skills and business management. Graduates of this program find careers blending management training with people skills and technical expertise, and fill key positions in food and agricultural industries.

The program emphasizes the application and integration of agricultural and biological sciences, agricultural engineered systems and business.

What courses will I take?

Courses are designed to apply physical science concepts and problem-solving to food and agricultural systems. Technical electives are available to develop a degree program that meets personal career objectives.

• Construction Science and Management:

Construction science and management is an engineering-based management program designed to prepare graduates to be a professional and a technically competent manager of personnel resources, financial resources, materials, equipment and methods.

The program includes courses in math, engineering science, materials, business and management, and prepares you to build the designs created by engineers and architects.

• Environmental Science

Offers specializations in water resources, earth systems, conservation and sustainability, analytical and geospatial methods, and agroecosystems

• Food Science and Industry

The food science and industry degree prepares students for rewarding careers in food research, innovation, manufacturing, merchandising, inspection and allied industries. Our trained and talented graduates are in strong demand by leading companies who supply safe, high quality and innovative foods to meet domestic and global demand.

What classes will I take?

Students choose from three options in the food science and industry program:

• Industrial Engineering

Industrial engineers figure out how to better produce and deliver goods and services. They use computers, mathematics, statistics and problem-solving techniques to solve complex business challenges and design modern production systems.

What classes will I take in industrial engineering?

Industrial engineers work to design, analyze and improve production systems, increasing productivity of individuals and organizations. The curriculum emphasizes four areas:

• Manufacturing processes and systems
    • Operations research
    • Human factors engineering
    • Engineering management
  • Milling Science and Management

A career in milling science and management offers outstanding opportunities. Demand for milling products — flour and grain — remains constant, and K-State offers the nation’s only bachelor’s degree in milling.

Salaries for milling science graduates are consistently among the highest in the nation. Graduates may choose positions in production areas while others may enter fields in research and development or quality control.

What classes will I take?

Students in milling science and management study all aspects of the grain processing industry, from grain origination to specialty milling with an emphasis on the science and technology of flour milling. Students select an emphasis from one of two areas within milling science:

2 Likes

Thanks, I would like to keep Cal Poly in the mix and this major might be it.

https://www.calpoly.edu/major/industrial-technology-and-packaging

5 Likes

Glad that one looks like a possible fit, as Cal Poly is such a great option to have in-state. She may want to look into the Agricultural Systems Management major which includes design components, but isn’t full on engineering like the BioResource and Agricultural Engineering major.

1 Like

I had begrudgingly added ASU despite not liking the sound of the various campuses. But between the honors program and it showing up (twice) on this list, might need to reconsider.

Updated to add that ASU showed up three times on the list. I don’t think I missed any realistic options on the west coast (CSULB).

She really likes the idea of learn by doing and small classes. If she found a couple of majors that were (relatively) easier to switch between it will definitely be worth more consideration.

2 Likes

I don’t have school suggestions outside of what’s already been mentioned, although having met some Utah grads I’d take a hard look at those schools as possibilities. They are definitely outdoorsy. My outdoorsy western kids struggled a bit at Texas and Midwest colleges. Maybe consider Minnesota? We just visited there and if she thinks she can survive their winter there’s a lot of the beautiful outdoors to be had, especially up the north shore from Duluth.

As far as being uncertain of major, have her take a look at a list of majors from one of the big schools and cross off everything that she is definitely not interested in and go from there. This strategy helped a couple of my kids narrow down the options.

I entered college undeclared. My strategy was to find the school with the most general education requirements and take them all. This put me at Revelle college, UCSD. If there was a sequence for majors and non majors I took the one for majors to keep all my options open. I found my passion and ended up an Econ major with a strong liberal arts background. I also ended up taking general chemistry with the chem majors which could have gone badly! It also wouldn’t work well if she’s still considering a major like engineering or music with many prerequisites and lots of sequencing.

1 Like

Check which campuses the specific majors of interest are offered. The main Tempe campus will be more of what a residential traditional student will expect, though it may still have significant commuters due to its location in Arizona’s largest metro area. The other campuses appear to be mainly focused on non-traditional students and local commuters.

1 Like

Kansas State : Gets 218 days of sun, more than the U.S. average of 205. K-State frequently makes the list of the happiest undergraduate students in the country

This sounds like some of the things that drew me to Iowa State.

This type of variety is a huge benefit.

Agreed. The low cost of housing of many of the schools outside of California could allow her an extra year for exploring majors or going abroad.

Unfortunately Manhatten has a stop on the flight for us and then a 2 hour drive. Maybe not a deal killer, but definitely not ideal.

1 Like

This is nothing like skiing in the mountains, but Iowa State is not far from Seven Oaks Recreation, which offers skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, river tubing, kayaks, and more. Looks like for aerial silks, you’d have to go to Des Moines.

I don’t know how available farm animals in any ag program are for non-majors to go “pet”. My DD’19 found herself visiting the local animal shelter frequently for doggy dates so that can probably be done in most college towns. (Warning: this resulted in one coming home with us!)

2 Likes

Central Washington could be a sure-thing option your D may want to consider.It offers various degrees in engineering technology (perhaps industrial technology in particular might suit your D) as well as construction management. Engineering technology, as compared to regular engineering, has significantly less math involved. There’s a degree in Integrated Energy Management, with specializations in policy, business, or power systems. If she wants to make something she can consume, there are also programs in Craft Brewing and Wine Studies :blush:.

The university repeatedly emphasizes its small and hands-on classes, which sounds like it would appeal. There are a variety of outdoor opportunities (rentals & trips) and there’s also an annual bouldering competition. There’s also a climbing club that competes against others. There are about 204 days of sun/year, and WUE tuition would be around $11,500. There’s about 8700 undergrads here, so a more intimate environment than some of the other schools under consideration.

U. of Idaho is another WUE school and is a smaller option, with about 8900 undergrads. If may not be sunny enough for your D (169 days), but it has a major that might be of interest that I haven’t seen elsewhere: Forest and Sustainable Products where students design and develop products made from wood and other materials, and includes product design and construction within the coursework.

Again, if there are any additional majors that your D finds appealing, please let us know.

ASU has multiple campuses but it doesn’t mean you’d be on multiple campuses.

Also, and I know you know and the test score will help with budget - but not at the UC/CSUs.

I worry that you have a list - but is the student participating in development of this list? You have huge schools. Honors doesn’t mean small classes - it typically means a “few” small classes, etc.

That’s what’s great about smaller schools - my daughter has - I think the biggest was 45 and the second biggest 30. She has regular Chinese, smaller than Honors, etc.

If she wants mostly smaller classes, I think the big flagships likely aren’t right unless she’s in a small major - but the gen eds will still be large.

I’m not saying it’s the right school - but maybe a school the size of a Truman State that has Ag and a you can make up the major - can work.

Finding one in the geography you like with the majors you like. So it might be directionals or a U Maine or a U of South Dakata…smaller publics with lots of majors.

Also, don’t forget, that list I sent you - while ASU was on it - the list was all over - some engineering, some not - my guess is she should find the right school and the rest will take care of itself.

But when you talk about advising and Honors - advising she can, with effort, get but Honors - each program is created differently so you have to look in their actual Honors offerings / structure.

Truman State University’s Majors & Programs

I live in Bend, dm me if you’d like info

2 Likes

Santa Clara is about $75k a year and not much merit at her level. (We are looking there too)

2 Likes

UVM may be a fit too, at least culturally

1 Like

Not sure u of idaho would be a cultural fit for OP

2 Likes

If there is interest in accounting, then add CSUF to the list. Might even make honors college with these stats. Good Big 4 recruitment comparable to UCs. (do check as my information is a little dated).

It would help to specify which CSUF you mean.

Cal State Fullerton. Seems like college confidential can recognize the college.

1 Like