College Search for D24, West Coast, undecided [considering industrial design] major [CA resident, 3.85 GPA, 34 ACT, <$40k (FA unlikely)]

Good to know about the cognitive science, but what I was trying to figure out was if any of the majors I had found appealed to your daughter. I know that she wants to have options and is undecided, but if a particular major sounded interesting (but she wasn’t as interested in the school), then that could help to focus the school search somewhat.

For instance, in post #43 I linked info on the following majors

• Agricultural Technology Management
  • Construction Science & Management
  • Environmental Science
  • Food Science and Industry
  • Industrial Engineering
  • Milling Science and Management

In post #45 I linked up to Agricultural Systems Management

In post #52 I mentioned

• Engineering technology, especially engineering technology
  • Integrated Energy Management
  • Craft Brewing
  • Wine Studies

In reviewing majors for someone who likes design, physics, business, the outdoors, and has an analytical mind (i.e. liking stats), but not wanting to go deep into calc, these all seemed like they could potentially strike a chord.

Not talking about CSUF, but if you’re looking for some Cal States that are more of a residential focus, has she considered Chico, Monterey Bay, or Sonoma?

For some other slightly more unusual majors that she might fancy:

Chico:

Monterey Bay

Sonoma

Any chance you go to Camp Augusta? :slight_smile:

More in-depth statistics / data science courses tend to require some calculus, though for the purposes of many majors that use statistics, not as much as for a statistics major.

Man! Whenever you post Gumbymom I learn something new.

2 Likes

Yes, I had looked into a Stats or Applied Stats major and saw that those were much more math-heavy than OP’s D is probably interested in. The other majors I mentioned do not have heavy math requirements.

Updates.

ACT score came back today. 34 Composite 31 Math 34 Science 36 English 36 Reading

Current choice of major is Industrial Design. She has ceramics and drawing classes next semester, based on how much she enjoys three hours of studio time each day that could solidify or change. She thought some of the majors suggested up thread by @AustenNut looked interesting but I don’t think she would commit until at a school and takes a few classes. Also looking much more into ASU as suggested by @tsbna44 . With the ACT score the ASU cost will likely slot in between the UC’s and CSU options, has a great honors college and numerous design options.

Definitely will have her look into Whitman as suggested by @Wjs1107. Utah State has a similar major called Human experience design and interaction that she liked the sound of. But the cultural fit at Utah State may not be as good a fit as University of Utah which is on the short list.

CSU’s : CSULB, SJSU, CPP, Chico
UC’s : Davis and maybe UCSC
WUE/Solid Merit: Univ of Utah, ASU, UNR
Not ruled out: Wyoming, Oregon State, Washington State, Utah State

Still loves the idea of a large and well supported makerspace. She’s just now getting around to finishing some of the applications. Her EC’s and essays will be okay to good making holistic merit awards tougher. But the ones like UNR presidential, Utah State Dean’s and ASU’s estimated scholarships great options now with the solid ACT score.

There is no perfect college, University of Utah sounds closest so far. Plan is to finish applications and then tour. She is touring CSULB and CPP early next month. Based on honors acceptances we will tour others during this coming spring.

Thanks for all the suggestions up thread.

8 Likes

Thanks for the update! It’s always nice to be able to follow along with the full college search process. It’d be great if you continue to provide updates as decisions come out and your D narrows in on a choice. :slight_smile:

FYI - this list may be helpful if she decides that she wants more options: The Best Maker School List 2021

2 Likes

The UC application is a lot of work for one campus.

Remember to send scores to Utah (they are counted when assessing eligibility for scholarships, including WUE) and apply by Dec 1 to be eligible for merit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.