College Search for STEM Girl'24 (3.78uw/ 35 ACT/ no tuition stress) [international student at US boarding school]

@theheadphonesgirl in order to be considered for the UCs, you need at least two years of foreign language or fulfill the requirements listed below.

Thank you for your input on the school choices! I am really reconsidering engineering now :joy:

1 Like

For the UC’s, you can fulfill the minimum foreign language requirements as follows:

AP or IB Examination

Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Exam in Chinese Language and Culture, French Language and Culture, German Language and Culture, Italian Language and Culture, Japanese Language and Culture, Spanish Language, Spanish Language and Culture, Spanish Literature and Culture or Latin; score of 5, 6 or 7 on an IB Language A2 HL exam.

College courses

Grade of C or better in any transferable course(s) (excluding conversation) held by the college to be equivalent to two years of high school language. Many colleges list the prerequisites for their second course in language as “Language 1 at this college or two years of high school language.” In this case, Language 1 clears both years of the requirement.

3 Likes

I see, that is really unfortunate :frowning: Thank you @Gumbymom and @lkg4answers for mentioning this to me!

1 Like

Chemistry is adjacent to biology (organic chemistry) and physics (physical chemistry), so you may want to check whether it will involve too much of what you do not like.

Economics major programs can vary in math intensity:

1. Low math – calculus not required, basic statistics required.
  2. Moderate math – single variable calculus and basic statistics required.
  3. High math – multivariable calculus and/or linear algebra and statistics (may be calculus based) required.
  4. Pre-PhD – real analysis, upper level linear algebra, probability theory, etc. recommended.

Economics majors at more selective universities commonly have moderate math requirements; some have high math requirements, or have a high math option. But if you want to prepare for PhD study in economics, you want to take more math and statistics beyond that.

2 Likes

This seems like a possible field to go into! I will dive into research more deeply.

I was also thinking about economics, but I didn’t get into my school’s as econ course (they reached the max amount of students in that class already) so I don’t know how I can indicate interest in this subject.

I see, a bit of biology and physics involved is fine, just not too much!

A significant independence on physics sounds terrifying :joy:

If you can earn a 3 or higher in an AP exam in a language other than English, then you will be considered to have fulfilled the UC language other than English requirement for admission.

2 Likes

Ohh my bad on doing poor school research! My middle school was catholic and I disliked the way they tried to push everyone into their religion. Thank you for the information and I will reconsider applying!

Could this AP language exam be taken after applications are submitted (meaning in May of 2024)? I didn’t take one before yet but I could sure get a five on AP Chinese or AP Japanese.

You may need to ask UC admissions directly on this question.

If they allow it, then if you are admitted, an admission offer would be conditional on earning a high enough score on the test in addition to any other conditions (relating to doing well enough in your in progress courses and such).

The annoying thing about our school is that they don’t do gpa calculations at all (no matter uw or weighted, so the uw above was calculated from an online website) and they don’t do class rankings, so I don’t know where I stand in the whole class.

I understand that these two things don’t necessarily correlate but considering that I won’t be staying in the US after I finish my bachelors degree, I would need a school degree that is known overseas, so thats why I put the T30 bar. I would say the T30 classification comes from US news for national universities.

I’ve heard a lot of people telling me that I would be put in strong disadvantages if I apply to the UC system, especially when there is no “official” ap classes taken :frowning: The test blind factor in my case would also be a disadvantage.

Thank you for this information! I will try to find more people in the field to find out about accreditation.

Thank you! I will do some research on these schools too!

4 Likes

Is calculus enough for applying for applied math? Not a big fan of computers so I’d pass informatics. Is undecided too broad?

Thank you! I’ll do more close research on these three schools!

As mentioned above, our school doesn’t have official ap classes so I don’t think my UC gpa would be different from the uw gpa I calculated.

Thank you for the information on admit rates! I’ll apply to UC’s only if I could get pass the a-g requirements, so I would ask my counselors about it again!

1 Like

More UC admit information based on the Capped weighted UC GPA:

Campus 4.00+ 3.70-3.99 3.30-3.69 3.00-3.29
Berkeley 17% 3% 1% 0%
Davis 58% 20% 5% 2%
Irvine 35% 10% 3% 0%
Los Angeles 13% 2% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 97% 95% 85%
Riverside 95% 83% 42% 17%
San Diego 37% 8% 1% 0%
Santa Barbara 41% 8% 3% 0%
Santa Cruz 69% 45% 16% 4%

Yes. Actually, completion of precalculus in high school is technically enough, although completion of calculus is advantageous in both admission to more competitive colleges and in course sequencing.

Absolutely. (As mentioned above, technically, precalculus is sufficient but calculus is helpful).

History, in the US, may serve as a pre-law major. Can be combined with another major.
Obviously your parents may not want you to have a law degree but the path could be Top university or LAC => Top14 Law School => return to country.
Your fluency in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese may be helpful in IR, especially with a focus on Asia. How does one become a diplomat in your country -is that tied to specific cultural or political circles or can a prestigious degree help you “get into” that circle?

Wondering if you might enjoy this major:

(An example, probably exists elsewhere under different titles. Use that as an example and, if it sounds interesting, ask your college counselor.)

Bc your school’s curriculum is not recognized by the UC gpa calculator and they don’t use test scores, I think UCs would be a big mismatch for your profile.
Based on the GPA indications above, your real odds are UCSC and UCR, with UCD a reach.

Most bachelor’s degree majors may serve as pre-law majors for US law schools.

I’m a bit confused. Have you taken up to at least level three of a foreign language in High School?

Re: religion at Santa Clara, the Jesuits do not force religion on you…at all there. But it is a Jesuit school. Those Jesuits really know how to do higher education, in my opinion.

1 Like

Op is fluent in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese, so presumably one is a native language and 2 were learned - however that may have taken place before 9th grade and/or not appear on the transcript. An AP score in the non native language would likely meet basic entrance requirements, especially if OP has 2 years of French and ESL on their transcript for the most stringent universities.

OP cited History as a subject they enjoy but their parents seem to object so I was pointing out how the major can be “used” toward professional studies or parlayed toward a job different from “historian”.

2 Likes

I’m hoping the OP can clarify their foreign language situation.

They posted this

I do fulfill most of these requirements, other that (E) the secondary language portion. I come from a country that doesn’t have English as the primary language, so my school counselor didn’t require me to take another secondary language during my high school years.

Sounds like no secondary language during high school…

Hopefully clarification will come.

1 Like