Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Again, is this Harvard info for summer or fall? @Luckyjade2024 I know some schools had masks in place for summer. Can you confirm that this SUNY and Harvard mask mandate is new info for fall?

Not sure we can yet say most schools are requiring masks indoors, there are 3,000 four year schools (no, I’m not asking anyone to post every school’s policy for fall).

3 Likes

But that viral load and uptake is only in an unvaccinated person correct?

2 Likes

Although, for surveillance testing, if the Delta variant has a significant asymptomatic contagious period (like the ancestral variants, or worse), typical testing will not be able to stop spread – by the time test results come in, the person has already spread the virus.

I think indoor masking may be adopted by more schools between now and the start of the semester if the delta variant surge continues. I’m also concerned that schools would put vaccinated and unvaccinated kids together as roommates. I understand it’s private information but the schools know who is and isn’t vaccinated and if a student’s medical status can affect my child, she should be able to ask to room with a vaccinated student and that request should be honored. Plus if schools are requiring vaccines to attend, there should be few unvaccinated students.

I’m also curious/concerned about international students arriving from high surge/risk countries who are unvaccinated or vaccinated with an unapproved vaccine. Will those students receive a vaccine? Can they be required to do so? Where will they quarantine during the vaccination period?

Plenty of uncertainty.

4 Likes

I believe you’re right.

2 Likes

from Harvard Re" Summer & Fall
With this timeline now established, we are assessing Harvard’s guidelines and protocols. We write today to update you on summer operations and activities, as well as planning for the fall semester.
Masks and Face Coverings: Outdoors, fully vaccinated persons are no longer required to use masks, regardless of distancing. For unvaccinated persons, outdoor use of masks is only required if they cannot maintain distance from others.

Harvard will continue to require masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status, until we can determine the level of COVID vaccination across our community

It can if the number of cases is small so they can be traced.

2 Likes

Colleges with vaccination requirements commonly have policies where international students unable to get vaccinated can get vaccinated on arrival. Because vaccines are readily available in the US, even at colleges without vaccination requirements, international students wanting vaccine should be able to get it in the US, unless the college is in an isolated area with poor access to a place with vaccine.

I pasted below. This was guidance for summer and early fall.

I think heading into fall we will see a fluid situation. It all depends on the numbers and the spread. They can loosen or tighten restrictions, masking and testing as needed. Masking in classrooms also protects the teachers.

1 Like

I saw it. It didn’t say fall. Just summer and that they will update info about fall later.

Clearly, I don’t understand why schools would now require masks. The last Bowdoin said, masks are a no go. They don’t wear them on campus inside or out right now even though apparently Harvard kids do. Tufts plan has so many holes in it.

1 Like

Not really complicated. It’s masking indoors
Wearing face masks will be required when you are indoors, including classrooms, laboratories, studios, libraries, dining halls, and residences. Within your off campus apartment or residence hall, face masks must be worn in communal areas such as lounges, kitchens, and hallways. Masks are not required outdoors.

True but they’ll need to quarantine before they receive the vaccine and then during the weeks until the vaccine reaches full potency which could be 5-6 weeks for Moderna/Pfizer or 2+ weeks for J&J at a minimum.

1 Like

And if you live with an unvaccinated student? Then what? Masking in dining halls? How does that work? To go meals again?

Kids won’t stay masked indoors. They never did. At least, with schools that had three times a week testing would catch cases in time and get those kids quarantined before it spread and the kids had a virtual option so they didn’t miss class. Once a week (as mentioned above) won’t even catch cases in time. I really cannot believe Tufts is doing this. It makes no sense. What if the vaccine is FDA approved in the next few weeks? Wonder if that changes everything. How many students really CAN’T be vaccinated? The number must be very very small.

2 Likes

For many colleges, unvaccinated international students will be treated exactly like unvaccinated domestic students. They’ll be tested frequently and quarantined if tested positive. There’s no initial quarantine period like they have in Canada.

Seems like a recipe for a lot of unnecessary Covid spread.

From Harvards’ website updated on July 15th 
masking still required for return to campus in the fall. see below

Updated Distancing Requirements on Campus

As of July 15 the University will no longer require that vaccinated persons observe physical distance requirements, either indoors or outdoors. Unvaccinated persons are still required to maintain physical distancing indoors.

As more of our campus community become fully vaccinated, we expect that we will be able to further relax restrictions, including revisiting the indoor mask policy, which remains in place for everyone regardless of vaccination status.

Updated Testing Requirements

COVID testing will remain a part of the University’s ongoing efforts to track and limit the coronavirus within our community. New testing frequency requirements take effect on July 28. Your required testing cadence will be determined by factors including whether you live on or off campus, your vaccination status, and infection rates in the local community.

Updated testing cadences are:Residents in Undergraduate Housing

• Vaccinated – once per week

• Unvaccinated – twice per week

This says nothing specifically about the fall. I wonder if Harvard is not seeing the level of vaccination that they want? Curious.

3 Likes

Presumably, these international students are tested shortly before they board their planes to the US. Unvaccinated domestic students, on the other hand, don’t even have to be tested before arriving on campus.