Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Yes, it is likely that continued optional mask wearing correlates with vaccination status, based on demographic observations.

1 Like

We should all care. Bullying isn’t allowed on campus. Harassing other students is a good way to get suspended or expelled.

6 Likes

Or how about just because it’s unkind.

10 Likes

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the “snitch” culture at Bowdoin.

8 Likes

Most likely never with the current degree of vaccine reluctance in this country. There could be pockets of near immunity in some communities but they’re likely to be transient because their inevitable interactions with people from other communities. However, higher vaccination rate will mean lower transmission, making life more “normal” in areas with higher vaccination rates.

College campuses are highly densely populated with a more actively interacting population, so the threshold of herd immunity is significantly higher.

1 Like

It was a small minority but S19 definitely felt it. On a campus of 2000 kids (where only 1400 or so were on campus for spring), it only takes half a dozen kids “watching”.

Everyone should care. Bullying does not foster a community. College campus should not be a breeding ground for hostility and intolerance. Your vaccine protects you and it doesn’t matter if someone else chooses not to get it. You are still protected.

1 Like

ok a few questions for you! Do you know how move in is planned? Can parents still move their kids in at Tufts? Any restrictions on that? Are fans allowed at sporting events? Does it look like parents weekend is still a go?

No to parents weekend. Move in day
parents can help with a mask and cdc guidelines. Unvaccinated students arrive 10 days early to complete testing and quarantine as per CDC guidelines. It worked last year when COVID was sky high. They had testing in place throughout the semester and it was very successful.

1 Like

Hm interesting. Both of our kids’ schools have stated visitors are welcome on campus to cheer on teams and parents weekends and homecomings are planned

Did Tufts have a plan for that stuff and then change? Did they ever send info out for parents weekend?

Have they disclosed the percentage of students who are vaccinated? I mean mandatory is mandatory. There should be very few unvaccinated students. I guess the students coming ten days early are international students. I think that’s how most schools are handling that.

Hard to wrap my small brain around this one. Educate people not making people feel less then.

2 Likes

Not sure why your being drilled. Your school is following both WHO and your states guidelines. Michigan’s was similar and I was able to help bring stuff into my son’s housing (they actually said just to the door but parents went in masked).

Your a responsible student. I remember you now. What’s your major at Tufts? Great school BTW

2 Likes

Maybe go on the Tufts site and educate yourself on their protocols. I just did. Doesn’t take that long. This student is giving their view of the situation and has been very kind answering questions but might not know every answer since like every school things are in Flux till their not.

6 Likes

Thank you. Thats very nice of you to say. I’m majoring in Cognitive and Brain Sciences. Looking forward to getting back to Tufts. made a few close friends last year with similar interests and hobbies and that’s who I will be rooming with. I wouldn’t like them any less regardless of their vaccination status.

Nothing is perfect not but we can’t run and hide or complain and make excuses. this is what we’re living through and I plan to make the best of a bad situation.

maybe it’s how I was raised to respect other peoples opinions even if they are different I don’t need to argue my way through life.

8 Likes

You are very wise for your age. I am so glad you made connections in college. We preach this all the time on other threads to make a large school feel small. Your perspective will help you go far in life. Congratulations on making it to sophomore year unscathed
 Lol
 Again, hope you have another successful year regardless of the unforseen obstacles that lie ahead.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! You are too kind.

Vaccination rates likely vary significantly from college to college. According to this article:

only “29% of adults between the ages of 18 and 24 have received at least one dose, the lowest rate of any age group”.

Since vaccination rates at some colleges are approaching 100%, there must be many other colleges where the rates are unbelievably low (even in single digit or teens?).

That “libertarian” student in that piece needs to reevaluate her priorities. I’m sure she gets other vaccines that are mandated. And she’ll be headed to the clinic later this month when the FDA approves the vaccine. I’ve had it with people who are not on board.

2 Likes

You are wise! Best wishes for a great semester. My D20 can’t wait to get back up to Boston.

2 Likes