Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

But it does matter if someone else does not get it. That’s why we continue to not get out of this mess.

I am not condoning bullying and my words were taken out of context, but honestly, if there is indeed mask enforcement for those who are unvaccinated, everyone is going to know who those students are. The pressure will be on them to be vaccinated.

One of my best friend’s son’s is going to Purdue. She just listened to a talk they had last night and said it was really good and that they are making it really hard on the students who don’t get vaccinated. Hopefully they follow through. So while they aren’t mandating it, basically, if you aren’t following the rules, you will be out of there. All unvax need to do surveillance testing. If you miss it you get a code of conduct warning. Miss the second one you’re suspending, miss a third, you’re expelled. If you’re unvaccinated and exposed she said you have to quarantine at your own expense and they’re not offering virtual classes. I don’t know what happens if a vaccinated student is exposed and tests positive. Maybe they will quarantine them and pay? But love this idea of putting the entire onus on the backs of the unvaccinated students. Of course, some with valid medical conditions can’t get it, but they should be the ones always wearing their masks anyway.

@RookieCollegeMom Agree 100%. I wouldn’t hang with someone unvaccinated either. And for anyone I know that might not be, I’m not taking off my mask. The vaccine is not 100% effective. 95% is still only 95%. Sleeping in a room with someone in a closed space, more often than not with little to no air circulation, or a fan circulation recycled air no way. This is the problem with the Delta variant and just how contagious it is. My daughter is in Israel and kids need a negative covid test to come home. There’s a bunch of kids from U-Cincinnati that just tested pos. All are vaccinated. They have to quarantine for 10 days before they can come home. Mine was in the same place as they were and is all worried even though she has another week to go. She’s worried she may test positive and be stuck there too. Not worried about the cost of her staying there, but the medical appointments and what not she has going on here at home once she returns. She doesn’t want one of her roommates to give it to her. So it’s not ok if she were to have an unvaccinated roommate on top of it all.

@3SailAway Well said. Many of those who are unvaccinated are getting covid now because they’re the ones not wearing masks when they’re supposed to be wearing them. They’re the same ones ruining it for everyone else. They’re the same ones playing russian roulette. If someone calls them out because they’re not wearing their masks when they should, is that going to be considered bullying? I don’t think so. I don’t view calling someone out, or the word I used before (harassment) as bullying. It’s what is the rule by the school. Now if it’s not the rule and they’re being name called and constantly attacked, etc. then that’s bullying and not appropriate, but that’s not what I was implying people do.

Where people are requested exemptions there is going to be pushback where schools or companies are going to ask for proof of prior vaccine exemption. For those who had vaccines previously, one would assume that their request for exemptions are going to be denied. Same with the religious ones and those who are using the excuse “i just converted”. This just happened to an attorney friend of mine and her company that mandated the vaccine.

People want their cake and eat it too. They can’t have it both ways.

1 Like

Although it is likely that most high school graduates do not attend college, some probably do attend open admission / enrollment community colleges or specialized trade colleges.

How about this news from France today. This would be something else is it happened here!

"French President Macron on vaccination requirements:
“I no longer have any intention of sacrificing my life, my time, my freedom and the adolescence of my daughters, as well as their right to study properly, for those who refuse to be vaccinated. This time you stay at home, not us.
In France, those who do not get vaccinated will no longer be able to go to restaurants, cafes (from the beginning of August), cinemas and museums (from July 21) and get on airplanes or trains (again from August). Alternatively, you will have to submit a negative test, which will no longer be free (49 euros for the PCR, 29 for the antigen).
Macron then announced the vaccination obligation for medical personnel and for those who work in contact with fragile people. Since September 15, a nurse who has refused to be vaccinated will no longer be able to go to work and receive a salary.
“We cannot make those who have the civic sense to get vaccinated bear the burden of inconvenience,” Macron said. “The restrictions will weigh on others, those who for reasons incomprehensible in the country of Louis Pasteur, science and the Enlightenment still hesitate to use the only weapon available against the pandemic, the vaccine.” “I am aware of what I am asking you,” he said, “and I know that you are ready for this commitment. This is, in a sense, part of your sense of duty.”

15 Likes

I’m glad we don’t live in a dictatorship…and I’m vaccinated.

2 Likes

We need to remember that the vaccine being 95 percent effective does not mean you have a 5% chance of being infected. It’s much lower than that.

4 Likes

Is there any evidence that the unvaccinated 18-24 yo are mostly those HS dropouts?

If many of the unvaccinated are college commuters, the problem could be even worse as they may unwillingly act as efficient conduit for transporting viruses back and forth between their homes and the campuses.

1 Like

France is a democracy. It’s a bit heavy handed but he’s correct, in my opinion, that the vaccinated shouldn’t bear the negative consequences of being around the unvaccinated. @srparent15 is right about vaccine protection …. It’s not 100%. We also don’t know how long the vaccine protection will last.

You’re young and you were lucky you had a mild case of Covid. However, even a mild case doesn’t guarantee no long term effects from the virus infection. Polio and chickenpox are 2 examples of viruses that can have bad effects many years down the road. We won’t know the possible side effects for many years, but the current existence of long Covid doesn’t necessarily bode well.

3 Likes

Or it could be higher …. The infection rate among the Texas Dems who all flew together is around 10%. That plane situation fairly approximates dorm life.

In reality, we are going to find out pretty quickly on college campuses how effective the vaccines are once all the students are crammed back into dorms, classrooms and labs. Colleges are doing a complete 180 from last fall and it’s just another experiment. We should all be ready to be flexible because anything can happen.

1 Like

Correct, however, it is still not 100% and that’s the issue here. Too many breakthrough cases and the viral load with the Delta variant that unvaccinated people who get covid is 1000x greater than the viral load of the original strain.

Also there is no guarantee that even if someone gets a mild case (or a breakthrough case) they will not have long term effects. Too many people are having long haul syndrome and you cannot walk that back.

1 Like

I wish we could just do what France is doing. I think colleges that mandate are kind of doing that, no? If we could get restaurants, hotels, concert venues, airports, say “no vaccination, no go” that would be great. The vaccinated get to go out and live. If there’s some way to have a legit medical excuse, that’s good too. They’d be safe out and about because everyone would be vaccinated. We shouldn’t be rewarding people who choose not to vaccinate. Those of us who are vaccinated are still having to change our lives for people who are selfish and uninformed. In the case of college, or high school, let those kids who are vaccinated have a full-on experience. If you don’t vaccinate, you can’t come to campus.

I’m tired of reading about how to convince those I know who won’t get the vaccination. I don’t know that many but I do know a few. Why is it our responsibility to convince them? Leave it up to them but we (and our college kids) should not have to mask up or have a lesser experience because others won’t take the vaccine. They are the ones who should feel the consequences.

4 Likes

What percentage of people on the plane were vaccinated? Do we know?

That’s the key word – Flexible.

Every medical expert knew we would have another surge. But they all thought it would occur in the fall. Instead, they’re all shocked it’s starting so soon after the 4th of July showing just how contagious this Delta variant is. We all know what follows a surge in cases. Death! It’s going to be some more dark days ahead of us in the next month or so, and sadly, the same people will continue to play russian roulette with their lives.

One other note. I read an article last night that 50% of a jacksonville hospital’s staff is vaccinated. Unbelievable. They’re also at near capacity. These Dr’s are depressed, overworked, overtired, etc. This is going to happen everywhere and people are going to leave these positions. Healthcare in some of these places is going to collapse. This doesn’t need to be political at all. Many of us remember when the chicken pox vaccine was brand new - especially if we have kids in their mid 20’s. No one balked then, yet people die from the chicken pox if unvaccinated. This is a safe vaccine. Greater risk of death and other issues if not vaccinated.

1 Like

Why too many breakthrough cases? There really aren’t that many. I keep posting articles showing the percentage is crazy crazy small.

It’s now a “pandemic of the unvaccinated”. That’s the truth.

https://www.axios.com/more-texas-democrats-test-positive-covid-52d345ef-9337-43fa-bc4d-04d5121df4cc.html

According to the article, all of them. Also, according to the article they’re not going to release if anyone else tests positive….kind of interesting.

2 Likes

I wonder if they were out and about before the plane ride and in places with low vaccination rates.

And they are “feeling good with no or mild symptoms” - isn’t this the point of the vaccine?

2 Likes

As was said at least once, the more you test, the more cases you’ll find. If colleges do surveillance testing, they’ll find cases.

3 Likes

Absolutely! I’m just hoping that asymptomatic or mild translates to no long term effects. All things being equal I’d like to forgo infection all together :wink:.

2 Likes