Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

This is going backwards. Good luck getting people vaccinated now. Less incentive. Companies and schools need to start mandating in order for the rate to go up now.

3 Likes

Interesting. I hear some schools are granting religious exemption to “anyone” who asks, while others are very strict with it.

Even companies and municipalities who are mandating it have alternatives. For NYC employees it’s mandated OR you can choose to get tested every week.

I still think the entire approach needs to change in order to convince the remaining unvaccinated. At this point the unvaccinated are the people who do not trust the vaccine. It’s not just politics. POC are highly unvaccinated as well.

The messengers need to change. Most do not trust the government for medical advice, especially in this political climate. Having Governors and Dr. Fauci at the forefront right now is not working.

The messaging needs to come from the medical field. This will take the political divide out of the equation while also reassuring POC and other’s who have legitimate concerns and fears of the vaccine.

3 Likes

This is not quite correct. The recommendation is expected to apply only to those people living with immuno-compromised persons or unvaccinated children.

I understand the former, but the latter has zero chance of being taken seriously in most parts of the country, especially given the minimal effect the virus has on children.

And to be clear, it’s a recommendation not a mandate. Whether individual states/counties would then mandate something that is completely unenforceable is unclear, but it seems that the CDC is going to lose even more credibility with this action (if those living with young children are included).

2 Likes

Geez. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

And this is not quite correct, either.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/politics/cdc-mask-guidance/index.html

“Washington (CNN) The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to update its guidelines on Tuesday to urge vaccinated people in certain areas of the country to resume wearing masks because of Covid-19.

People in areas with high or substantial Covid-19 transmission should resume wearing masks, the CDC is expected to say, according to sources familiar with the announcement. Nearly two-thirds of US counties have high or substantial transmission of Covid-19, according to CDC data; 46% of counties have high transmission and 17% have substantial transmission.

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky is expected to announce the decision at a 3 p.m. ET briefing on Tuesday.”

1 Like

Maybe, I guess we’ll see in a few hours:

“A WH source confirms:

CDC is expected to recommend today that ppl vaccinated for COVID resume wearing masks indoors under certain circumstances. Those circumstances include: If living with/in close contact w/ immunocompromised ppl or unvaccinated ppl such as kids under 12.

The WH source says the specific language for the CDC recommendation is still being finalized and that the recommendation may land only on fully vaccinated people wearing masks indoors when out in public if living with immunocompromised people.“

https://twitter.com/yamiche/status/1420025332556513282

Well, looks like it could go either way (or in another entirely different direction entirely, I suppose). Will be interesting to see what she says. And it still won’t be enough.

I agree! those who do not trust the vaccine, certainly do not trust Fauci at this point as well.
My son , who attends RIT got an exemption. He will still need weekly testing and mask wearing, but what is interesting is that in upper level classes, many are available online; as a matter of fact, two of classes are 100% percent online and two are in person. This gives him less incentive . Its unfortunate. Supposedly 80% of classes are on person, so he drew the short stick. What this does do, is allow us to make him not return, but spend a semester here at home online. Its the only thing I have at this point; he is not antivax, but is wants full FDA approval first (and able to read the entire report). This reply is not for anyone to criticize. Short of making him sleep on the street, I have done everything in my power to try to convince him otherwise, but Fauci and the government did not help.
He has until the end of this week to make a decision for the vaccine and then we have to decide to send him back, or keep him home; which if he continues to want to wait, we likely will keep him home. I do appreciate though that there is a online option. I am very sad, that my son (S19) had one normal semester his college career. he is graduating early this spring. I do believe that if he went back, since only the non vaxxed will get tested, with Delta , he will catch it, and there is no clear information about isolation options. If he gets even the JnJ and gets Covid, apparently being vaccinated unless he reports being sick no one will know.

2 Likes

I totally understand where you are coming from and your son is not alone.

I was on campus last semester without vaccines. The numbers were high in the country but Tufts tested every few days and had protocols in place. I didn’t catch Covid in school and we had pretty low numbers throughout the year. I actually caught it at home over my break. Maybe he can go in person since most will be vaccinated and he can be vigilant.

Wouldn’t that be the consequence for his personal choice?

2 Likes

She’s a concerned parent so of course she would be worried.

I feel for you! I have someone close to me who has no plans to get vaccinated any time soon. It is maddening.

I don’t think there’s actually anything–short of having a close contact suffer a serious or fatal case of it–that is going to convince those that are still resistant. The resistant seem to find new, inventive reasons to distrust anyone advocating for it.

I wish you (and your son) well, and hope he manages to have a good semester.

Depends on which people of color. Black and Latino people have lower vaccination rates, although that may be at least partly due to SES-related issues (less connection to health care, etc.). However, Asian and Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander people tend to have higher vaccination rates than the overall population. Asian people are also most likely to keep masks on even when not required.

Note that Black and Latino people, in comparison to White people, appear to have more “wait and see” versus strongly opposed to getting vaccinated (“only if required” + “definitely not”). Political party is still the strongest correlate. According to KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor Dashboard | KFF

Group Already Vaxed ASAP Wait and see Only if required Definitely not
White 67 2 9 5 15
Black 60 5 15 8 9
Hispanic 63 7 14 5 10
Republicans 52 2 12 6 23
No party 61 4 12 3 16
Democrats 86 2 7 6 2
1 Like

my younger brother in HS is not vaxed. He had it, and was asymptomatic. He still has antibodies.

His doctor recommended against it for him because he has some nerve and muscle injuries and has been in PT since January. With the news of Guillain-BarrĂ© syndrome 
the doctor said don’t do it and his chance of reinfection is lower than breakthrough cases.

When he goes back to school he will wear a mask.

Guillain-Barré syndrome has a possible association only with the J&J - Janssen vaccine among those available in the US.

In terms of risk of breakthrough cases, some people get COVID-19 more than once. He may want to ask how high his antibody levels are. Also, it can matter what strain or variant of COVID-19 he got – if he recently got infected with B.1.617.2 / Delta, resulting immune response may be more protective against the same variant now, compared to if he was infected with some other variant like B.1 or B.1.1.7 / Alpha.

1 Like

The article I just read said that emerging data has found that the viral load in breakthrough cases among the vaccinated is similar to the level in unvaccinated people who become infected. The concern is that vaccinated people will indeed be able to spread the virus to both unvaccinated AND vaccinated people. Some medical professionals and officials still say the risk is small but others are saying the new research is showing it is more substantial than initially thought.

Ok but vaccinated people not getting serious cases so if they are spreading it to each other then that’s not terrible news. The unvaccinated who are eligible need to get vaccinated. I don’t think college kids who got the vaccine should be responsible for changing their actions and wearing masks to protect those who willfully are not getting vaccinated.

2 Likes

I’d like to see the CDC’s new data. Every peer reviewed study I’ve seen concludes that vaccinated people who contract Covid have a much lower viral load than unvaccinated.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

2 Likes

Link to the article?

The following suggests that viral load in breakthrough (including partially vaccinated) cases is 40% lower than in unvaccinated cases (in addition to finding high effectiveness of vaccines). Breakthrough cases also had only about a third as many days of viral RNA detection, fewer days of symptoms, and fewer days spent sick in bed, compared to unvaccinated cases.

However, the time period studied was before B.1.617.2 / Delta became the dominant variant.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107058