Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Good points. I just cannot imagine college campuses with high rates of vaccinations having problems. Vaccinated close contacts will not have to isolate at Tufts…only if they actually tested positive will they have to isolate. (so as not to spread it)

Yeah, that’s a whole other situation. Can’t see it happening with huge groups of people like the state employees, but you never know.

Proof of vaccination was required at Yale in pre-CV days. I remember unvaccinated students showing up to pick up their room keys and being sent over to the health dept to be vaccinated. Yale holds a shopping period during the first week of classes, so until this upcoming academic year, no one registered for classes until the night before they started.

They have changed shopping period a bit this year, asking students to pre-register for courses, but I don’t know if studenst have been blocked from pre-registering if they have not uploaded his CV vaccine record.

1 Like

This new CDC guidance is going to further deter the unvaccinated. Why do we have such stupid people in such high positions???

1 Like

The outcome of testing positive with covid wouldn’t be any different than getting any kind of moderate illness.

“Isolation’ to me means a week off school/work staying in my pyjamas, on the couch, eating comfort food and binge watching Netflix, just like I used to do with a bad flu or D&V pre pandemic. IE a minor pain of not getting to go out with friend but kinda nice to just pause and relax for a bit as well.

That’s, of course, assuming a non serious case.

1 Like

My daughter’s school has stated unequivocally that unvaccinated students who test positive will have to make their own plans to leave campus during the recovery period (symptomatic or not). The university will provide no housing for Covid-positive students. They must leave campus Immediately on their own dime and effort. To me that’s an inconvenience.

7 Likes

I agree, but kids will have to miss a week of class and I can’t imagine S19 missing a whole week. He’s been sick with pretty bad colds and once bronchitis and dragged himself to class. He said no way he could be out a whole week. I’m sure colleges are going to have some official stance on what to do with vaccinated students who test positive (both asymptomatic and symptomatic). He did the right thing and got vaccinated so I don’t see why students like that should be kept from learning for a week. It could really put them behind and it would just be dumb luck if infected.

Meanwhile, at schools where roommates are all random, it’s sounding like a vaccinated student could easily end up with an unvaccinated one. I am not digging that.

4 Likes

There is no way I can miss 7-10 days of class!

2 Likes

It will be a stretch to reach the point where 95% of students are vaccinated on the many campuses where personal/religious exemptions are allowed.

I don’t understand this policy. They will send a sick kid off to infect relatives? people at a hotel? will they take public transportation to their destination? So irresponsible on the school’s part.

1 Like

I think I mentioned on this thread above but you should SEE the religious exemption form for Colgate. It’s four essays long that really drill down on exactly why your religious beliefs warrant you to forgo the vaccine. I also mentioned that Northwestern is not approving many of their non-medical exemption requests. You can’t just say “oh I’m Catholic and don’t agree with how the vaccines were made” - even the Pope said tough luck, get the vaccine.

5 Likes

They are saying that if a student chooses the freedom not to vaccinate, they must take responsibility for the logical consequence of that decision. Why should the school and vaccinated students pay for the personal decision of a student to not follow public health mandates?

8 Likes

Well, I hope all of those families have money for a hotel for their student or can drive to W&M and bring them home to a house hopefully full of vaccinated people. I guess we have to wait and see. If they aren’t testing the vaccinated, they might not find many vaccinated positives. As for the unvaccinated ones? I agree with W&M. That’s their fault. Figure out somewhere to quarantine. I bet this plan is to convince students to get the jab.

3 Likes

However, most students, parents, and everyone would rather not have as strict rules and protocols this coming academic year.

2 Likes

No, I agree with making the personal exemption a difficult thing…that a student must demonstrate a deep and sincere commitment to a belief system in order to be exempted. But it seems that is not happening in some schools. I thought, at W&M, for example, that students or staff would have to go through some kind of screening process to be considered exempt, and I’m sorry to see that may not have been the case. hopefully, the school will tighten up and require something like this.

2 Likes

If they have to pay for their own testing that might tilt the balance.

Unless the tests are rapid tests they’re basically worthless. All tests are just a snapshot in time.

2 Likes

I get that they want students to be responsible but sending them off to infect others??

Rhodes College has a $1,500 extra fee for frequent testing for unvaccinated students (international students can waive the fee by getting vaccinated as soon as possible on arrival):
https://www.rhodes.edu/coronavirus-updates#tab_what-is-the-arrival-to-campus-protocol-for-non-vaccinated-students-32421

10 Likes

The school is not a hospital or a nursing home. It is in the business of educating students in the safest way possible. Last year there was no way for most students to vaccinate for most of the school year, so it made sense for colleges to provide housing for sick and quarantining students, but now students do have the rational option to vaccinate to keep themselves and others safer. W&M did state strongly that it expects the great majority of students to vaccinate. Those who do not vaccinate (and their families) have the moral responsibility of figuring out how to keep others safe from their personal decision not to vaccinate against the school’s wishes and science-based public health advice.

6 Likes

Also includes schools.

Justice Department lawyers say that federal law doesn’t stop private businesses or public agencies from mandating Covid vaccines, according to an opinion released on Monday just hours after the Department of Veterans Affairs became the first federal agency to mandate inoculations for some of its employees.

The opinion from the department’s Office of Legal Counsel, dated July 6, opens the door for more businesses to require the shots for U.S. workers as Covid spreads among the unvaccinated, and comes two months after the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission released guidance saying U.S. employers could require all employees physically entering an office space to get the vaccine.

4 Likes