Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

With regards to the six feet rule, according to my D, nobody actually follows it and it is never enforced; many are actually unaware of its existence. Also, the thing with the mask indoors rule is: there is an exception for eating or drinking. So there probably will be parties because, if you are drinking something, you are allowed to have your mask off indoors. I am aware they didn’t specify this in the letter, but according to my D, they did specify this exception when they were on-campus.

A note that the mab also requires a local hospital/doc that not only has the stuff but is willing to administer. (Yes, I know it’s all approved, but some areas are slower to make a shift than others.)

No one is saying that masks “solve the problem”. They are saying that is lessens the chance of transmission.

5 Likes

IMO it wasn’t broken in our area and we’ve just been designated as “high transmission” despite some pretty good vax numbers (70% 12+). In fact, we are at a higher incidence of infection from the past two weeks alone than we were the prior eight weeks with lower vax numbers and no mask mandate. Go figure but it looks like the cause is a bad strain of the virus, not the unmasked/unvaxed. In one week the number of counties deemed “high or substantial transmission” jumped three-fold.

1 Like

Getting internship or job (or something else desirable) often requires all of skill, effort, and luck.

Whether any job searching method is a waste of time depends on whether it fails or succeeds. But that can only be known after the fact.

1 Like

Eating or drinking inside (e.g. a restaurant or bar or dining hall) is one of the higher risks of COVID-19 transmission activities. Doing so in the context of a likely-crowded party is even more so. Add to that the effect of alcohol on one’s judgement of risk. That would be the best way to recreate a mini-Provincetown event.

2 Likes

And note that the Provinetown victims, in addition to being mostly vaccinated, were mostly young, between ages 20 and 40.

go read the latest post on the Inside Medicine thread. It talks about the recent data on vaccinated people and how much they do (or actually do not) spread Covid.

I did. And I find it non-responsive. I would expect all vaccines deter transmission and infection, and these clearly do, very well. But they are no magic bullet from getting sick, as 900 people in Provincetown know.

1 Like

Do you have a source for that claim? Per the CDC report the infected Massachusetts residents had a median age of 42.

Additionally, only 74% of the infected were vaccinated, quite a difference from the 99% expected at schools with mandates.

1 Like

There isn’t a college in the country that is going to have a 99% Vax rate for all students and staff on campus. I wish there were. And you appear to be correct that the median age in Provincetown victims was 42; that is far too young to expect they had difficulty in medically processing the vaccines in their bodies, as can occur among the elderly. Setting aside Provincetown, we have the SF Hospital example of 186 staff infections despite a very high Vax rate and plenty of PPE and hygiene awareness.

2 Likes

Yes there will be. Colgate only had one percent of students ask for an exemption. Staff and faculty currently at 98 percent. Bowdoin still gathering student vaccine cards but faculty and staff at 98 percent. Basically told them they could take a leave of absence but they can’t assure them their job back.

It’s called a mandate for a reason.

5 Likes

And that 2%, plus some small population of already vaxxed students and staff, can and likely will transmit covid variants to the rest, who fortunately will not get very ill, but will need to quarantine, miss class, etc, and run the risk of long-haul.

1 Like

Where do you propose those two percent are catching Covid from?

First you said there won’t be schools so close to 100 percent and then you say 98/99 percent isn’t enough.

1 Like

And there’s the issue of unvaccinated international students. Having a negative Covid test before you fly doesn’t guarantee much. Lots of time to acquire an infection between the beginning and end of the journey.

1 Like

As a lawyer, I am quite certain they did not tell staff they were not assured of their jobs if they had a religious or medical exemption to vaccination. If they did, I suggest retaining counsel, as that appears to be a very clear violation of the ADA mandate for reasonable accommodation.

Negative test before they fly. Testing with rapid and PCR on arrival at school and masked until those come back and then tested again three days later and three days later. Most (like almost all) international students coming a week earlier than the rest of the kids.

1 Like

Clearly, we can just agree to disagree. I wish you were right, I have a kid on a campus with a vaccine mandate. But I don’t think we can expect normalcy. Time will tell.

1 Like

Correct. They could produce a medical or religious exemption form (just faculty and staff, student only get medical exemptions). The two percent not vaccinated got those exemptions granted. Into about leaves of absence was Im sure for those without exemptions granted.