Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Luckily for us, DS has no problem with online learning. From what I read and from the conversations I have had with people working in the local publics, online learning in failing many, many kids. So even if (not sure this is true) it takes more time to set up for in person, it is worth it IMO.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you have to head back NOW, when cases are very high and the more contagious variant is here. Maybe all the employees can get together and ask for a 3 week postponement? Just until post-New Years Eve wave calms down? If not, if your office windows can open it would be great to have an air exchange. Otherwise maybe invest in an air purifier. If you google air purifier and Covid there are a couple of articles that say this could help when combined with other things like masking.

1 Like

S18ā€™s college is officially hybrid but last semester all of his classes were taught remotely. Professors had the option to teach in-person for smaller classes and all opted for remote so he was bummed. Next semester starts Feb 1 (delayed from usual schedule) and he thinks that at least his lab will be in person. Others have not announced yet.

Why would in-person take more resources? Not sure what you are referring to here.

3 Likes

I think a lot of in person classes also had a remote option

@1NJParent I actually do agree with you. I was just expressing disappointment re the general circumstances. Kid is actually doing just fine with his online classes and is enjoying cooking a lot for himself and roommates. They have a nice little bubble with another apartment and are able to have some fun at home.

Problematic resources: classroom sizes and social distancing, professors and health risks, library materials, dining services. So many complicated issues to figure out that Iā€™m sure administrators are working 24/7.

My Dā€™s school restarted classes this week. Most of her classes have a hybrid option with groups rotating in person. She once again opted out of attending in person and will take all her classes from the safety of her apartment. She and her roommates will volunteer for surveillance testing once a week. She may learn best in person, but with extra effort, learns just fine online and has no problem connecting with her professors with the online format by going to regular office hours.

Was at Tufts all fall and never got COVID! Surrounded by kids on campus etc etc.

I come home for break and literally only left the house to go to the gym (always wearing a mask) and somehow got it?! my entire family just as careful, they never got it, just me.

Looking forward to going back on the 23rd. Hoping the numbers start to decrease.

PS. iā€™m an active runner and eat extremely healthy. I was pretty mild but I had two days with breathing issues and also lost taste and smell.

3 Likes

UChicago made a decision to support faculty, TAā€™s etc. in their choice of modality so classes, labs, discussion sessions were whatever the instructor wanted them to be; in-person, hybrid or remote. For any in-person portion, including discussion sections, classes are de-densified to around 40% of normal capacity. So those saying itā€™s a lot of planning and work are correct. Classrooms have to be ventilated properly at all times and cleaned between sessions. It certainly made for some interesting scheduling!

Last fall my son had three remote lectures, one in-person seminar, one remote lab, and one in-person discussion section. So about 75% of his weekly contact hours were remote. I think that meshed with the average for the College, but YMMV by major or class year. This winter 100% of his courses are remote and thatā€™s just the way it worked out. He doesnā€™t prefer remote but itā€™s doable for him, fortunately. He will be able to opt for some electives in the spring and so might have more in-person; however, the prof. will always have the option to switch it to remote if they wish to. The university supports their choice of modality, even if it switches from what you signed up for.

IMO, this varies by university, by department and even by individual instructor. It is added cost to support a decision to teach in-person. However, some students might need to use that modality in order to make academic progress, and some instructors might honestly prefer teaching in-person. Leaving everyone the choice is a huge headache . . . for the administration. But thatā€™s kind of their job. They are supposed to be providing support for the academic mission of the institution.

UChicago surveyed everyone at the end of last fall - faculty, grad students, undergraduates - and basically everyone was pretty satisfied with how the quarter went except for one aspect which was the lack of social interactions. Faculty wanted more active collaboration and interaction with students, and students wanted the same plus they wanted more social opportunities with one another. So the university is working on that for this quarter. It wonā€™t be perfect, but at least they are trying.

An indoor gym may be one of the higher risk places, if a contagious person there is forcefully breathing out large volumes of virus droplets while exercising.

3 Likes

From The Wall Street Journal:

They say gyms arenā€™t one of the spreader concerns, but who knows. I went to the gym all semester. Both my gyms (school and home) took every precaution. But it just takes one to spread.

Just glad I didnā€™t spread it to my family, we are all in the clear now.

3 Likes

So sorry you got sick, but are glad that youā€™re better now!

2 Likes

Why New England specifically? Rice University, which is in Texas, believes they will be able to vaccinate all students, staff, and faculty by the end of February. Is there something different about New Englandā€™s rollout? I know Amherst College, like Rice, is applying to become a vaccination center so they can get everyone vaccinated as soon as possible.

Just because a school applies to be a vaccination site, doesnā€™t mean they will be approved, or able to have the students jump the line (whatever the vaccine order is in that state). For reference, Vandy applied to be a vaccination site and was deniedā€¦although I canā€™t find a source for that (beyond the president saying they arenā€™t a site because they arenā€™t a health care organization, which was the reason they were denied AFAIK) Jan. 7, 2021 ā€“ Update on COVID-19 vaccines | Health and Wellness | Vanderbilt University

3 Likes

It also does not mean that they will receive enough doses quickly enough even if they are approved as vaccine distributors. Some major medical groups around here are now offering vaccine to those age 75+ or 65+, but the current rate of vaccine delivery to them means that there is a long queue for getting the vaccine.

Exactly. Now that we know the federal government has no reserve of vaccines, the states need to plan accordingly. IMO they should not be dropping the age to 65+ and/or all those with at risk conditions (which in some states represents over half the adults)

1 Like

Many schools have applied, or will apply, to be vaccination sites, but few will actually become one before summer.

1 Like

Here in MA they are just going to start vaccinating first responders next week. Then they go to elderly with comorbidities. Iā€™m not sure when they are going to get to healthy young people but it isnā€™t anytime soon. We are way behind other states as far as I can tell. There is no way that Amherst will be vaccinating college students for at least a couple months.

4 Likes

I disagree with this as it is not workingā€¦they need to get the vaccines in arms asapā€¦it is crazy that we are not able to do a better job. If they can sort it out so that they can stick to the guidelines and use up their allotment then fine, but it has not worked for some reason so in the meantime I think they should be opening it up and ensuring they are vaccinating all available.

3 Likes