Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

If I am reading it correctly unvaccinated students (a tiny number of exemptions + intl students who had not been able to get an approved vaccine) were tested immediately. Vaccinated students get surveillance testing once a week.

It is 60 positives out of about 18,000 tested so far, which doesn’t seem like much, but obviously is more than they were expecting.

They moved quickly last year when a couple of outbreaks occurred. If I recall, the outbreaks were related to off-campus parties, and it sounds as though the same may be happening this year.

They have the ability to increase testing frequency rapidly because they developed their own test in coordination with their on-campus Vet school. Based on the email, I sense they will be requiring immediate and or more frequent testing of close contacts. Fingers crossed.

Are they going to pack the stadium full (i.e. each fan is sitting very close to the two adjacent fans) or will be limiting the density of the fans?

https://www.microcovid.org/?distance=close&duration=180&interaction=oneTime&personCount=2&riskProfile=bars&scenarioName=custom&setting=outdoor&theirMask=none&topLocation=US_18&voice=loud&yourMask=none&yourVaccineDoses=2&yourVaccineType=pfizer may help estimate risk based on various scenarios (vaccine, density, masks, indoor/outdoor, etc.).

1 Like

I don’t know if they’re planning on controlling the density of the crowd. I was just surprised and concerned for my niece and her husband who fly in for several games a season.

No social distancing at ND football, the stadium will be full capacity. On game days, unvaccinated visitors are asked to wear masks everywhere and vaccinated visitors are asked to mask indoors, but there is no proof of vaccination required.

Generally on campus – ie. not game days – there is no masking required indoors for students, faculty, staff except for certain busier locations such as the student center. Faculty can mandate masks for their own classes.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. It’s like we’re spectators of many mini-experiments.

3 Likes

More like gambles. The virus is unpredictable enough that a gamble may pay off, or it may not.

5 Likes

Williams just added mandatory weekly testing for vaccinated students, faculty, and staff through the end of September.

2 Likes

Colby just added indoor masking through Sept.12. They currently have 3 students and 1 faculty who tested positive (from over 2,600 tests completed). The majority of the students do not return to campus until 9/6.

1 Like

That’s exactly what experiments are, only hypothesis-driven.

Yes, an experiment is purposedly carried out to prove, or disapprove, a hypothesis. A gamble (like the large unmasked gatherings in the current pandemic), on the other hand, doesn’t serve such a purpose, or any purpose.

Oh, It does have a purpose: $$$.

I guess you could say that. A gamble can also be costly in terms of $$$.

We had some e-certs for flights that were due to expire mid-Nov. Sadly due to Delta surge, our state is slammed with patients and there are no beds in hospitals nor ICU nor ER and our Governor has begged people not to fly in or out of HI.

After some correspondence, United kindly voided my expiring e-cert and issued a new one good for another 24 months. Yay!

11 Likes

50% of the teachers in our Dallas area school district were substitutes last Friday. Cases are rising and after a week of class we have 36 active student cases in the HS (~17 per thousand) and nine among staff.

An emergency school board meeting this afternoon decided to follow the Texas state law and make no change to requiring masks. They’re optional and my senior son says no one wears a mask in class. SMU got blowback from some parents for requiring masks indoors and cancelling convocation.

1 Like

I can’t believe you have enough substitutes! What a mess!

Didn’t someone mention this at UGA?

12 Likes

Good for him.

9 Likes

At 88 covid could kill him, vaccinated or not. Why should he risk his life for grown adults who won’t put up with a minor inconvenience like wearing a mask for the sake of an education session that could be achieved almost as well on zoom?

10 Likes

It was mentioned in another thread.

Here is a relatively detailed page from the student newspaper The Red & Black:

1 Like