Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Oh, yes. And some are scheming to take advantage of loopholes in reservation systems. There’s humblebragging about it even here on CC!

It doesn’t seem like there’s a potential delay at Williams. I’m sure many colleges have verbiage like Williams does in that FAQ section. If events change, they might have to push off kids moving in. Unless you’ve heard rumors that they are considering it?

Wow, that sounds pretty grim. I think I remember you saying fall semester went very well. Are these guidelines more restrictive?

What is more wrong - getting a vaccine out of order when there were extra which needed to be used, or discarding vaccines because there were no eligible candidates and the materials expired?

I have an appointment in March, but of course that depends entirely on whether we actually have a vaccine supply here then. Some local appointments have already been cancelled due to not receiving expected shipments.

7 Likes

More news from my D20. She returned to school on Wednesday, took one saliva Covid test and vowed never to do that again. It was negative and she will go today/tomorrow for her 2nd (nasal swab this time) which will give her access to buildings.

She was thrilled to learn that her sport had been cleared for competition and travel this spring, as well as more access to the boathouse, training and locker rooms.

So while the numbers are still relatively high, the school must feel some sense of optimism for the Spring.

2 Likes

Where is your D? That’s great news.

Why does she not want to do saliva test? It seems easier than nasal swab.

All of my kids have had the brain scrape many times already. D is eligible for the vaccine because she works in the PT program on campus, her boyfriend is also eligible. He turned it down since he’s had covid already, is super healthy, and doesn’t want to take it from someone who needs it more. D is on the fence (she’s had covid too).

University of Wisconsin.

And it took her 45 minutes to do the saliva test, had to get a second tube because something wasn’t right or whatever. She eventually got it done, but many of her friends are having to redo them. She doesn’t mind the nasal swab so will make her appointments for testing at the centers on campus that use that method rather than the saliva.

Her classes are all online, maybe one discussion in person. She is just happy to be back with friends and her routine.

The only way a student could get vaccinated in MA is if they’re an EMT, or potentially a nursing student set to do patient care this semester.

My parents are in their early 70s and live in MA. They won’t get a shot at a vaccine until early March most likely.

The only places in MA giving vaccines require verification/identification of a patients employment in healthcare before you can even make an appointment. Pharmacies and doctor’s offices don’t even have the vaccine.

1 Like

@kpopmomrunner I hope you had a safe trip back to RIT.

In case you hadn’t seen it yet, RIT just lowered their COVID-19 Alert Level to Yellow/Moderate Risk, from Orange. I also saw that up their testing and any student who is approved to be on campus will be tested weekly. RIT is also maintaining their waste water monitoring program. Needless to say they are continuing to stress all the standard strategies to minimize spread.

Good luck to you son.

1 Like

Getting a vaccine out of order when there is extra that will otherwise go to waste is not wrong - what I think is wrong is some people and groups that are intentionally finding loopholes in the rules to jump ahead of people who need the vaccine much more.

7 Likes

We were very successful last fall. Once numbers started to rise across the state they enforced the more restrictive guidelines (after Thanksgiving) They follow the MA guidance, curfew etc. Hopefully it lets up once numbers decrease.

They have set up many outdoor spaces with lighting, seating etc (weather permitting) and try their best to make the best of it for us.

they sent this today

• Get outside and exercise. We encourage you to get outside and enjoy the campus as much as possible. All of our athletics fields and the track are available to you if you wish to run, workout, or just take a walk. You can do so in physically distanced groups of less than 10 with everyone wearing masks. year. There are some beautiful outdoor spaces nearby including conservation land and parks.

• Enjoy our new outdoor spaces. We have enhanced three outdoor spaces where small groups of students (less than 10) can meet while observing the protocols during the winter months. These spaces have outdoor lights, colorful Adirondack chairs, and standing-height tables. The three locations (Bendetson Hall, Alex’s Place and the Campus Center) were selected to receive the first outdoor lights in addition to the furnishings. Bendetson’s lights brighten the academic quad while offering outdoor covered areas, ample patios, and surrounding trees. Alex’s Place, a plaza with trees in planters, is always a popular gathering spot, offering views of Boston and is a frequent stopping point for people taking campus walks. The Campus Center is a high-traffic location, including dining and student activity destinations as well as the patios and covered areas suited for outdoor lighting. We are also installing solar-powered lights on trees in a dozen locations across the campus to further enhance the walking landscape.

• Reserve indoor meeting spaces. We created the ability for you to reserve indoor meeting and study spaces for the first time this past fall and this continues now, again while observing university COVID-19 protocols (mask wearing, few than 10 people, physical distancing, etc).

We are also investigating other indoor spaces and ventilation treatments that would add to the student study spaces available at Lincoln-Filene, Tisch Library, SEC, CLIC, Barnum, and Olin.

2 Likes

Here is the Williams Record article about the potential delay:

Also, here’s an interesting youtube piece on the COVID impacts on the Election on campus:

1 Like

Thank you! The drive to and from RIT was for the most part good. Both times around the Syracuse area it was snowing with poor visibility. We are used to it.

Anyways, my son was the first to move in the apartment that has not been cleaned. Ugh! Someone left food in the kitchen so there’s that spoiled food smell. I had to scrub the kitchen clean including the fridge and microwave. The bathroom is another story. Its like it has never been cleaned since August! Had to talk to my son about it and he said, he keeps everything clean after use but others weren’t. I guess he needs to sit down with housemate (one less person this semester) and really make a schedule.

I am glad the alert level is down to moderate. And I am happy to learn the school is doing more testing although S has had two additional testing last semester because of the waste water testing from theirs and Greek housing.

Any reason why MA’s rollout is so slow? Are they getting fewer doses per capita? March is so late for people in their 70s!

It’s not easy here in NY but I was able to get spots for my parents and a few of their over 75 friends (I offered since they are not internet savvy) at the closest state-run facility.

I know I sound like a broken record on this topic, but MA should be embarrassed. Their vaccine rollout is dismal. They haven’t even begun on 75+, and I think Gov. Baker said the other day that it may happen in February. Disgraceful.

4 Likes

I believe MA has only utilized 38% of their inventory. It’s embarrassing as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

I’m glad your trip was primarily good. It sounds like you made it in and out without too much snow. As I recall you live in the greater NYC metropolitan area. It looks like we may be getting some snow later in the week. Yuck.

My D is an RIT graduate but we have family in the area and she is still in contact with students so we try and keep up to date with what is happening in the area. It never seemed like RIT did enough individual testing compared to other schools but their numbers seemed to ok. I often wondered if ignorance was bliss. It did seem like their waste water testing program may have helped. I hear they’ve expanded it to other non-residential buildings on campus.

Ugh on the state of the apartment. Sometimes what we don’t know won’t hurt us.

1 Like