Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Well, maybe a matter of pessimism for some; Pascal’s wager for others. I’m over half a century old. I’ve been to a lot of restaurants, on a lot of airplanes, to a lot of concerts and events, seen a lot of piles of rocks and mountains and trails, done all sorts of things. Marginal value of yet another meal out? Not much; my food’s going to be better than most restaurants’ anyway, and I already spend a good chunk of each day talking with friends, students, colleagues. Loss from an outdoor concert vs. the phonograph with the middle-aged audiophile headphones? Possibly better with the headphones, fewer mosquitoes and better sound. Significance of brain damage and loss of ability to breathe well? That could make the rest of life exceptionally difficult and poor, and I’ve got plans for that part of my life. Why gamble those when the odds are so poorly defined? We’ll know soon enough how those odds sort.

If I were 18, it’d be a much tougher decision set and a different definition of “soon enough”, but I suspect I’d still land on the side of “avoid stunting longterm prospects by some unknown but potentially significant amount.” I did after all wear seatbelts and do my preflight checks carefully, and took more risks than most here likely did, but usually managed them pretty carefully. Even Bond’s a careful fellow, that’s how he stays alive.

Societally, we’re obviously just not thinking at all, which isn’t unusual. But consider the costs of the longterm disability weight. Take even @Twoin18’s example of “barely touched by covid”, 1 in 2000 hospitalized. Suppose there are 20 who’re miserably ill but not hospitalizably ill for every hospitalized person. That’s 800 people in their county each month. Of those, given a viral variant that’s been less aggressive, 200-400 can be expected to have longterm symptoms. So in a year, if the 20:1 ratio’s anywhere near right, and the longterm consequences (those wt longterm studies are coming in pretty strongly now, btw, with large n) you’re adding thousands of such cases to your county, with unknown longterm consequences. Do you have services for them all? What might they even cost? How might they change the landscape, particularly in places already stunted by the last 40 years’ economics and the end of the American century?

If the longterm reports are even close to accurate, and if delta and future variants have anything like the effects of wt, then I hardly know how to think about this tsunami of disability and its ramifications. Just driving, consider driving. You’ve got mild brain fog, you’re not counted disabled, there’d be nothing for you if there were, and nobody’s taken your license away. Now imagine millions of such licensed drivers prone to episodes of brain fog. Now imagine they’re also on medications for other conditions that further affect ability to pay sharp attention to the road, and that they can’t work like they used to, so they’ve got a lot of deferred automotive maintenance. Certainly they’re not buying self-driving cars, can’t afford them. What does your highway look like now? Make the intersection with other major shifts going on: climate change and its population movements and life changes, the nearness to autocracy as things spiral out of control and people seek certainty, the unabsorbed social reckonings with incredibly fast population growth, global youthquake, the fact that we’re only about 15 years into even rich people’s being able to see lots of other people’s realities at once all over, and in America the end of whiteness as the air we breathe. A great big wodge of new disability on top of that – that’s quite a thing to absorb. But unless it’s imagined it can’t be planned for, or even made ready for, emotionally, cognitively.

In other words, imagining such scenarios is no more pessimistic than will-making is. We know long-haulers and people with milder long-term symptoms exist, we don’t know how long the effects will last, we don’t know how many more will join them. So: imagine, play it out, imagine the new realities, the costs. And plan.

1 Like

plz

No, they’ve been put into the covid dorm and for some who are living in off campus apartments, they’re now being allowed to quarantine in those apartments, when originally that was not the plan. My daughter said in the apartment of 6 girls above them, 1 tested positive and they allowed her to quarantine there. Fortunately, she didn’t give it to anyone, but I’m sure they were nervous. Mine is nervous, especially as she hears of people she knows testing positive that she may have been with or near.

One thing I do wonder though, when Cornell finally did have vaccine clinics last Spring, they were for JNJ. It would be fascinating to see if they’re at all tracking which vaccines these students were given. They clearly know since they had to upload their vaccine cards, but it would be interesting if there is any correlation to more cases of those who had JNJ.

With all the data you come up with, maybe there’s something out there in general (not Cornell related necessarily) about this.

I should add - these girls I believe are likely not girls living in the sororities, although I know per the parent page there are cases of girls living in houses too, just not sure if these houses. But regardless, the ones my daughter knows are juniors and they don’t live in the houses at this point.

I’d like to know the same - overall and for Delta specifically. My impression is that JnJ<Pfizer<Moderna but that’s based on anecdotes.

There will probably be roughly as many deaths from drug overdoses as from Covid in the next 12 months (there were almost 100K in 2020, and that’s a decent estimate of annual deaths from an endemic Covid virus going forward when most people are vaccinated). There are millions of others suffering from addiction or who have family members who are addicted. It ruins many, many lives.

But sad to say, the US really doesn’t do a lot of thinking about that reality, planning for extra costs, etc., let alone trying to restructure society to limit or remove the risks of drug addiction. Those who are unaffected move on and ignore the problem. Why would we expect any different with Covid?

4 Likes

Drug overdose deaths were about 71k in 2019 in the US.

100k per year would be the 7th highest cause of death in the US, and higher than other contagious diseases (about twice as many as “influenza and pneumonia”).

Note: the above does not list drug overdoses separately, so they may be included in “accidents”.

Do you have a source that shows a vast (or any) majority not testing - and only approx. 12 nationwide do?

Columbia U and their colleges administer weekly test (down from 3 weekly’s last year):
https://alert.barnard.edu/dashboard

“Recently released data by the CDC show that drug overdose deaths reached a record high of 93,331 in 2020”

Yes, that multiple seems plausible. Not enough to cause a wholesale restructuring of US society, and I doubt it will change the way the majority of people arrange their social lives on a day to day basis.

2 Likes

I would not be too surprised if lots of universities that are not well endowed like Columbia University do not have the money for frequent (i.e. possibly useful) surveillence testing of all students. I just checked three regional commuter-based state universities, and none had surveillence testing for all students (one does require weekly testing for the small number of students in campus housing and who have vaccination exemptions, and encourages it for others – but weekly is rather marginal in that someone could get infected the day after the test and become contagious for several days before the next test).

1 Like

I was very pleasantly surprised LAST year, when my daughter advised me that her and the other three young ladies in her apartment had made their own staggered move in schedule so that none of the four families would ever come in contact with anyone else!

Then, the Barnard portal (3 tests administered each week) showed that the positivity rate at the college was actually consistently well BELOW the city’s rate - quite opposite what I had expected.

The students seemed to be mindful of keeping the College open!

1 Like

Not really the geography, but rather the population there, their “belief system” — and the officials they elect due to that.

1 Like

Lots ≠ “vast majority”

PS: truly don’t know what the ratio is, so was just checking how factual the claim was.

This forum tends to focus on private schools that have lots of money. We hear a lot about policies at top LACs and Ivies and other top privates. While they get a ton of attention here, that is not where the vast majority of students are going. I think people reading the anecdotes here last year would believe that routine testing was common. I really don’t think it was outside of those top well-funded schools.

Whenever someone posts a comment about Amherst or Bowdoin, for example, it gets lots of discussion and attention. When I post an update about the large public that my son attends, it is largely ignored. There are a lot more kids at that large public than at Amherst and Bowdoin.

That said, my son’s classes started yesterday and he had his first in person class since March 2020. His school is only doing routine weekly testing of unvaccinated students. There have been large parties leading up to the start of classes and son reports that no one wears masks unless they are inside university buildings.

I probably should add that most students live off campus. My son goes in university buildings only to go to the gym or classes.

15 Likes

Yes, I’ve noticed that, too. The title of fhe thread isn’t descriptive enough. It really isn’t for “Colleges,” but rather only a small subset. Maybe start another thread to discuss other colleges/universities? That’s what I did, because at one time the title included “Schools” (I’m pretty certain), but since someone didn’t want K-12 discussed, the title was changed.

2 Likes

I won’t be the one actually media-shaming her – I know others will do that. I don’t think it’s harassment, though. Actions have consequences. If there is another side of the story, I’m sure she will come out and proclaim it.

3 Likes

My other daughter goes to UT-Austin and they required arrival testing of all students, which was surprising this year.

My third child goes to UM and they’re offering testing to anyone who wants it, but they’re testing the wastewater instead of focusing on testing. There has been nothing mentioned of results of wastewater testing and I don’t know how there can’t be many cases based on the amount of partying that was done during Welcome Week and the upcoming football game with 110k fans they’re having this weekend. Yes, they’re all vaccinated, but that doesn’t stop the virus. Masks are required in most places though, so hopefully Professors and other faculty are protected, which fortunately is the case at Cornell where while their case count is high, there is no classroom spread.

3 Likes

I’m with you on JNJ<Pfizer<Moderna.

My daughter who had Pfizer and went with her friends to get it because that’s what was available to them at the time knows way more people currently that have gotten it than my daughter who had Moderna. The Pfizer one also didn’t get it until March, while the Moderna one received her first shot a full month before the one who received Pfizer. Of course some of that could also be due to the testing at their schools and the one doing a lot more, but even when my one was in Israel where no regular testing was being done, a lot of her friends there were getting Covid.

Another interesting thing, my mother who is significantly immune compromised, both as a kidney recipient and stage 4 lung canecer patient, is obviously in the booster group right now. However, they checked her antibodies in June and the Dr was shocked at how high they were (he’d never seen them so high), and so they’ve decided to test her every other month and wait on giving her the booster until her antibodies start to go down so as not to boost her when she doesn’t need it, and lose her chance for the booster when she may need it in a few months. She also had moderna but more interestingly she is Type O blood which is if you recall in the beginning they thought people were more protected from getting covid if they were Type O. I don’t know whatever came of those studies but we do wonder if there’s some correlation. My brother is also Type O and when covid initially was circulating he was the only one in a group of about 30 who didn’t get it. It all just makes you wonder…

3 Likes

Sure pull up your local public university. And the next state over and the next state over. The vast majority of universities are not Columbia, Cornell, Harvard and Duke. For example NONE of the universities my close friends’ kids go to are testing vaccinated, asymptomatic students and they include: University of Michigan, Vanderbilt, CU Boulder, University of Rochester, UNC Chapel Hill, University of South Carolina. Williams was actually on this list until this week.

3 Likes

You can add Purdue to the list of schools not testing vaccinated, asymptomatic students. The only exception is if they had a close contact. Purdue is still aggressively contact tracing.

1 Like

That seems to be the nature of many college discussions here. Lots of it is concentrated on elite private residential colleges, or generalizations are made based on elite private residential colleges.

2 Likes