Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

just to add, I do get right before the holidays why schools are shutting down early. Kids are going home and seeing family. But mid semester, or postponing Spring, or being online makes no sense going forward.

3 Likes

Totally agree, mandate vaccination, test if you dont feel well, mask when you are in indoor public places, and be kind to your fellow person, bu that is too hard for most people, sigh

Many people facing those large medical bills would just go bankrupt in this case, raising hospital and medical provider overhead, causing them to have the charge more for those who do pay, which will eventually be paid for by your private insurance premiums and/or taxes for any part of the system that is government funded.

2 Likes

I would support pushing spring semester off for a week or two if that gives a college time to come up with a realistic plan for handling an possible Jan or Feb omicron surge.

1 Like

Cornell has announced that they have not seen any severe illness:

5 Likes

I am somewhat optimistic that if omicron hits now it will be over by the start of spring semester.

2 Likes

Iā€™m aware how this all still trickles down, as the overall societal cost will eventually still be carried by all. The goal is to raise the initial stakes for those most responsible, to motivate a change in their behavior, ultimately reducing cost for all.

should smokers get treated for lung cancer?

2 Likes

My best friend died from lung cancer and she never smoked a single cigarette.

My condolences on your loss. My aunt was just diagnosed and never smoked either. My point was - we cannot become a country that uses medical treatment as a ā€œpunishmentā€ for those whom others deem not worthy.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a slippery slope to be sure. But there are examples where those who donā€™t take care of their health have penaltiesā€¦for example, smokers pay more in health and life insurance and alcoholics canā€™t be on the liver transplant list. There are more examples.

Unfortunately the reality we are dealing with is that the unvaccinated have forced many healthcare systems into situations where they have to triage care because there arenā€™t enough beds, or enough nurses, or enough doctors, or enough vents.

Should an unvaccinated person get a spot in the ER or ICU at the expense of a stroke patient? I ask that rhetorically, but those are the decisions being made every.single.day in hospitals across the US.

I totally get that aspect. My brother is actually waiting on ā€œelectiveā€ surgery in NY now because of the new variant. I just donā€™t want to see our country go down that slippery slope. I also feel many have lost their sense of humanity over the last two years - and itā€™s sad for our future.

4 Likes

I hope your brother can get his surgery soon, but itā€™s a plus that itā€™s elective and not urgent. There are people having strokes, heart attacks, car crashes every day who canā€™t get the typical care they would due to the extreme pressures the unvaccinated have put on our health care system. Health care is a limited resource, so something has to giveā€¦be glad you arenā€™t the one who has to allocate those scarce resources.

1 Like

I donā€™t smoke, but I fully recognize that addiction is a disease - thus requires treatment, including secondary illnesses cause by the addiction!

Ignorance is not a disease, let the cost be borne by Ignorants.

1 Like

My daughter had some kind of RSV preventative thing when she was 1 (that was 25 years ago), For her, she got an infusion every month for 5 months, for 2 years. After that, they developed a shot (which I donā€™t know if they give before or after the child gets RSV). My daughter never got RSV.

Itā€™s not so ā€œelectiveā€ he has a torn rotator cuff - a lot of pain. Hospitals in NYC are ok right now - so they are trying to figure something out. OFC it could be worse.

I think it may be time for healthcare officials and administrators to take a stance and start limiting the number of beds available for treating Covid positive patients who have chosen not to vaccinate. This can fluctuate depending on how overrun a given hospital is, the time of year, staffing issues, etc. All of the information, science and knowledge is out there, vaccines are free & available. Thereā€™s nothing more that can be done to help those who refuse to trust the science. If they are going to take that stance, then they should go all the way and not seek treatment for a virus they donā€™t believe in. Itā€™s time to move forward and reward those who did vaccinate.

I would not support a college that forced regular testing on vaccinated & masked students - forcing positives into isolation (especially at those campuses where the vaccine is mandated to begin with). That is completely contrary to why we got the vaccine. The punishment of the vaccinated needs to end.

So the non smokers receive treatment and the smokers donā€™t.

And the diabetics donā€™t get treated for their myriad of illnesses.

And those with a BMI over 25 donā€™t receive treatment.

No flu vaccine, no shingles vaccine, no meningitis vaccine no treatment for you.

Itā€™s a slippery slope.

3 Likes

Letā€™s leave the non-college related COVID discussion for that thread please.

4 Likes

ā€¦ the University will require every member of our faculty, staff, and students to receive a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose prior to the start of classes for the spring 2022 semester or as soon as medically permissible.

My prediction: In January, the news will be which Universities wonā€™t require boosters.

2 Likes