Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

https://protect.purdue.edu/protect-purdue-health-center/quarantine-isolation-resources/

That’s a very long way to say they only have a mask mandate in the classroom and indoor public spaces and vaccines and testing are optional (testing mandatory for unvaxxed). Lol.

Good for them.

1 Like

not an option at every college. In addition I know so many freshmen last year who had such a hard time finding someone to live with this year. (in a dorm) It was so hard to make close friendships with the virtual learning, masking, distancing and lack of in person clubs, sports etc.

on top of that so many were stressed at the thought of a possible positive Covid test and move into isolation for ten days.

Suicide is up sharply in all students HS and college alike.

7 Likes

Testing is not optional for unvaccinated students.

A couple of things, I don’t think virtue signaling is a thing. I think schools are doing the best they can in a bad situation. Also, in my opinion people wear masks not out of fear. I am not fearful.I wear a mask 6-8 hours a day not because I love it, I certainly don’t (it has brought back my teenage acne something terrible). I do it because more than anything I want to take them off and get back to normal ASAP. I believe schools requiring masks are also wanting a return to normalcy.

15 Likes

Actually I don’t know that that’s true. A significant proportion of newly minted PhD’s can’t get academic jobs. I’m sure there are very many who would jump at the chance. Faculty renewal can be a good thing.

3 Likes

UT Austin is essentially going virtual for the first two weeks.

https://t.e2ma.net/message/7jh05f/fq76zz

You have to look at how higher ed operates now - it’s different and in some ways more ruthless than it was a couple of decades ago.

For people who want to make their lives in academia – which is not a majority of PhDs, and PhD programs are more often set up now to discourage their trying to become academics – the college-app-type competition doesn’t end till they get that t-t assistant professorship, and if it doesn’t happen pretty fast out of the chute, they know they have to figure out something else. It’s not 1995 anymore, when people would grasp at any adjunct spot they could in hopes of tenure someday. They know that’s almost never how it goes now, and that yes, there are exceptions, but the best you can reasonably hope for from there is a lectureship, a short contract with somewhat less terrible pay, a couple of slices of respect, and benefits for real slave-galley work that will not likely leave time for research, but will turn you into an accomplished teacher. The question at that point is whether you really want a 4-year or whether you’d rather aim for community college.

If you’re t-t now, unless you’re at a school that’s just stuffed with money (in which case you’re likely either doing masses of concierge work, really Panglossing it up with the princelings and their mamas, or too important and rainmaking to be seen), you’re much more in the business of sales than you used to be. You’re recruiting, you’re focusing the department, you’re bringing in the cash and prestige, you’re flogging seats for butts instead of waiting for them to come to you. Most of the actual teaching is done by contingents: lecturers, adjuncts, visitings, grad students (and, at really desperate schools, advanced undergrads). The advantage to the institution is that if you want to save money for a while, you can get rid of most of your teaching crew and whip the tenured faculty into the classrooms (where they don’t want to be, if they’re at research Us) to make up the hours, knowing that they’ll scramble and have breakdowns or whatnot on their own time as they try to resuscitate their precious research careers afterwards; admin can whip them about that later, asking where the money and updated CVs are.

There’s a problem with that model, though, if you give the contingents enough reason to turn you down. Which is what’s been happening over the last year or so. They were already badly paid and ill-treated; it was already extremely difficult to staff contingent hours in well-paid fields like STEM and finance; contingents had already noticed that the idea that they were going to get tenure for there was cruel taunting, and the younger ones weren’t buying it from go but were instead behaving much more transactionally; but the pandemic showed them that the universities and colleges weren’t even going to pretend to be interested in them, would drop them cold regardless of what they’d done for the institution, and would happily see them infected and carrying it home and dropping if it meant they could keep those paying butts in seats. They also see that there’s a big wide world of non-academic opportunity out there now, much of it remote if that’s what they want, much of it in nicer places if that’s what thy want.

And that was about it. The attrition rate’s been huge. It’s become very difficult to recruit new contingent people, especially away from Boston, New York, Houston/Austin, and the Bay Area, where the PhD labor pools are mighty shallow. That’s why, all over the country, a lot of courses just didn’t run last year, and a lot more t-t faculty are teaching a lot more than they ever have. That in itself isn’t tenable, because people don’t knock themselves out for PhDs and academic research careers only to show up and find they’re going to be chained to the classroom and admin work to the point where they can’t have research careers, can’t compete or publish. So. Where does it go from here? I don’t know, and I’m not that interested anymore, since in a little while it won’t be my problem anymore.

In any case, the thing you can count on is that the institutions know you’re angry about how they’re handling covid, regardless of your views, and also know that in less than four years – less than one good breath in and out for a university – you go away. They know tenure-track faculty are angry but are too conditioned, too whupped, too ego-driven, and too bad at personal finance and politicking (mostly) to do anything much about it. They know the kids aren’t a smidge as angry as you are because they’re ever-hopeful and inclined to optimism and besides busy trying to get laid and land some maybe/maybe-not fictional job or grad school spot – and if they aren’t happy, they also don’t know how things work and are leaving soon. They know the trustees are breathing down their necks and how to pet alumni. And they know how to survive. When institutions survive longer than countries do, you can bet on it: they’ll pick themselves over you. As long as you know that and what makes them go, you can manage your own expectations, and get what there is to get from them.

So far the most powerful faculties, those at HYPSM who presumably would have other employment options, are all agreeing to teach in person for the Spring semester. They seem to value in person teaching, even those with tenure already. Not everywhere is full of dysfunction and unhappy employees.

9 Likes

Are you sure about this? Are there really zero professors at any of HYPSM that are planning to teach online in the spring semester? Do you have a source for this claim?

At our state flagship I see the same exact professors listed as teaching the same exact courses in-person this coming spring semester. These professors were also in-person for fall semester. I’m sure there are examples here or there but there does not seem to be a mass exodus of professors or a major shift being driven by them. If someone else can point to actual widespread evidence of this is happening otherwise that would be great.

7 Likes

Check and see whether those are tenured profs teaching. The tenured/tenure-track will not go anywhere easily, nor research profs (those on soft money). They also don’t teach the majority of hours, especially at public universities.

Often you will see a t-t prof listed who’s actually a course supervisor or lead, not the instructor – not the person in the classroom, or not there for most of the semester. A large lecture, for instance, might be shared among three or four t-t profs who each take a few weeks and do the lecture; most of the contact hours are taught by grad students who won’t be listed in the catalogue, also by lab and other facility supervisors, who are staff and will not be listed in the catalogue either.

Adjuncts will generally be listed, but you may have trouble finding info about them on department websites. Lecturers are usually listed. Many of those have left, too. A lot of 3- and 5-year contracts were converted to 1-year during the first year of the pandemic, and between that and covid policies that left them exposed, there’s been a lot of attrition. And if you’re a state U trying to hire someone at $55K to work 70 hours a week, no security, short renewable-if-the-U-wants-it contract, in person, and you’re not in an attractive or convenient location, you’ve got trouble. You may find that t-t faculty have taken over some of these courses if they’re part of a progression for the major.

Again, staffing is back-of-house stuff. As far as your student is concerned, nothing is supposed to change, at least superficially. What they notice is that small courses that used to run aren’t running, and that there are fewer sections of this or that. Public universities are highly vulnerable there because they can’t just wave more money to dig up adjuncts to keep sections going – they’ll just say okay, waitlists, and maybe majors will need an extra summer or semester to graduate. Or students will change their majors so that they can graduate on time. Or there are fewer options for non-majors, so maybe you have to choose between graduating on time and finishing a minor or certificate. Or some subjects just aren’t taught anymore. Or a course that had 30 now has 48 and the t-t prof’s lost their grader, so you’d really better be good at learning on your own.

Things like this don’t help: 'I feel betrayed': Blind UW-Madison prof denied request to teach online

There’s also
how do I put this. A lot happens at universities that nobody’s paying for. Faculty and staff essentially volunteer time and energy because they have an idea to make something happen, and they do it. They might not be paid, but they have the liberty and space to do it. When a university admin creates a deeply antagonistic environment, and persuades fac & staff that they’re not in a good place, going to be treated in hostile or strongarming manner, they stop doing those things. They withdraw the gift of time and energy and put it elsewhere. They don’t apply for things, they don’t invent programs, they don’t reach out to students unless required to, they decline to do things they aren’t required to do. When that happens across a university, you feel it. Personally? I’ve stopped asking if people want to try this or that, spin up a course, run a workshop, do a demo, do things they’d have been happy to do three or four years ago. They’re guarded, they’re tired, they’re aware of how thankless it’ll be, and they’re just not inclined. These are not things you’ll see in a catalogue or marketing materials: they’re things that just don’t happen, and they’re not available for your kids because they aren’t happening.

I probably shouldn’t forget the role of staff. Staff do a lot of student services and teaching at large universities, and a lot of staff have also left and not been replaced, either because the U’s trying to patch a money hole or because they haven’t been able to hire. So there are things that just aren’t happening now: help with applying for things, accommodation services not required by law, student-life activities, career-center and outreach-practice activities that are normal. Honors programs may not have their full roster of activities going.

Converting jobs to remote/hybrid has helped with retention, but I think the Us are still figuring this out, especially where pay is low. For about the last 15 years, staff jobs have been attractive to PhDs who realized they weren’t competitive for t-t careers, but the jobs don’t pay well compared with lots of others, the workload is immense, and grad students have had had quite an eyeful of what it means to be staff and admin in the last year or so.

I worked closely with a PhD student turned postdoc with a brilliant postdoccing history, really wonderful research and prestige markers all over, devoted teacher, and she went up for a faculty job. Her advisor was ill and couldn’t advocate for her; her advisor’s mentor, a big cheese, backed her instead. She got messed about pretty hard, then rejected in a way that wasn’t at all cool, and took an industry job that paid probably twice what she’d have gotten as a professor. A few years on she’s saying she dodged a major bullet – she would’ve loved to have continued her line of research instead of shifting to corporate priorities, but it wouldn’t have been worthwhile for the poor treatment from admin. Her company’s been very covid-aware, careful to protect employees, and she’s not short on opportunity. And, of course, there’s the pay.

UMich faculty say fuggedaboutit:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/01/05/university-of-michigan-faculty-defy-mark-schlissel-virtual-classes/9090694002/?gnt-cfr=1

Yes, we all understand how unhappy some posters are with life in academia and how eager she is to leave. No doubt there are some unhappy, just like in every industry. There are also many who are satisfied and wish to remain, and other than the few anecdotes above, I see no sign of an academic exodus.
Princeton announced it would not be offering classes online or hybrid. My friends on the Harvard faculty have stated they expect the same.

13 Likes

I’m betting that colleges with vax/booster mandates have a much higher rate of professors willing to teach in person. If I knew that all students and staff were boosted at our middle school where I work, I’d be close to even saying masks off!

5 Likes

My son goes to a 20K+ undergrad regional public. In the fall of 2020, and all of 2021, he didn’t have a single class in his major go virtual. They were all in person. Every one of those classes was taught by a Ph. D. His final 2 classes in his major this spring will be taught in person by Ph. D.'s.

8 Likes

Colby reports 89 cases since 1/1. I don’t recall how many cases they had prior, but it was no where near these numbers. Outside of masking, life ar Colby was very normal in the fall semester and cases were minimal. They have required a booster and asked that students tested prior to returning. S18 is not on campus for Jan Plan this year, and I have been sick, so I haven’t paid much attention to how Colby is handling the cases. Parents are reporting that students are isolating in their rooms. I’ll try to get more info on that.

2 Likes