Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Just to clarify, employees can file a disability claim requesting work accommodation ( which may or may not include a remote option, or LWOP, or transfer to a different position) in the event their condition prevents in-person work.

Students can request, but are not likely to receive, an accommodation to attend classes virtually, unless the college agrees it does not change the nature of its program. Different legal standard used. Many schools will not permit a remote option to attend.

If accomodations cannot be agreed upon, the usual result is a unpaid leave/academic leave.

My understanding is that Purdue has been very liberal with granting profs the ability to work remotely. I’m hearing about lots of classes being remote.

They also move back and forth pretty seamlessly as well.

1 Like

I live about 45 minutes from the University of Georgia (UGA) and a lot my 2 kid’s friends currently attend our state flagship. The outdoor party/celebration held after winning the National Championship in football was pretty large and packed (at least 10,000 people out celebrating). UGA has a policy of encouraging face coverings while indoors, but face coverings and social distancing are not required on campus. It will be curious to see the campus Covid numbers early on this semester, because the UGA students I have talked to over winter break seemed to live with very few restrictions and their classes are in-person. They use a self-reporting app to report positive Covid test results and symptoms. UGA has had 1 student death to Covid-19 in October (fully vac’d student with no underlining health issues).

Things seem to be different during COVID times. Students and profs go through the Disability Office and dept. chairs are advocating as well. Filing disability claims doesn’t seem part of the picture. But remote options are all set up so it is easier to accomplish that accommodation than in non-pandemic times.

Thanks for clarifying though. I know the standard is that accommodations for students cannot pose an undue financial or administrative burden or substantially change the academic program. I don’t know much about accommodations for professors but during COVID it seems especially liberal.

I am surprised that an unpaid leave is a possibility but certainly believe you.

If you read the linked document page 3, it says that boosters do not “expire” for the NCAA’s definition of “fully vaccinated”, unlike the primary dose or series.

I definitely get that N95s and KN95s are far more effective than even surgical masks, which are more effective than cloth, but wearing them 16-18 hours a day is a big ask. I myself use them when I think I’m in a particularly risky situation and/or where I won’t be doing a lot of talking (eg at crowded indoor funeral, on airplane, etc), and drop down to surgical when it seems less risky
.kind of use a cost/benefit analysis in my head to decide. And I know a lot of health care workers use them at work (although also not always the whole time), but they aren’t at work all day 7 days a week. If lots of colleges follow Amherst’s lead, that’s going to make for some very uncomfortable people on campuses! I agree many kids may not follow the rules by wearing them in their dorms, but just to ask that is a big deal, I think.

UVM is giving kids k95s as well. As they have been all year so far, they are expected to wear them everywhere except their owen dorm room.

I’m a middle school teacher and switched to k95 when we went back after New Years. It’s really not that bad, but N95 is another story. I tried for 1 day and it was too much.

1 Like

Oh maybe that’s the difference. I only have N95, haven’t bought KN95 yet. I didn’t realize they were that much more comfortable. Good to know!

1 Like

GW has confirmed that in-person classes resume 1/18.

We are pleasantly surprised that online will truly be (unless smthg changes in next few days) only for this first week of spring classes.

3 Likes

The percentage of positives for their surveillance testing for the week of 1/3-1/7 was 13.3%. https://healthcenter.uga.edu/healthtopics/covid-19-health-and-exposure-updates/

However, it seems that counterfeits are particularly common with KN95 masks, although they also exist with N95 and KF94 masks. Choose carefully.

2 Likes

Oh, wow
I hadn’t heard about the UGA student death.

Here is one news article

https://www.cbs46.com/news/healthy-fully-vaccinated-uga-student-dies-from-covid-complications/article_6116aa80-2d38-11ec-ad11-c73009419ce3.html

wow - that’s terrible.

Just to clarify the timeline - because this is an article from October of last year:

Kuhn said his son Shawn caught COVID-19 in December last year but only felt mild symptoms. He said he then got both his Pfizer vaccines in April and May. Then caught COVID again in August and was in and out of hospital until he passed this week.

1st Covid in 12/2020
Vaccinated by 5/2021
2nd Covid in 8/2021
Passed 10/2021

2 Likes

I have been wearing Powecom KN95 for a year and find them to be very comfortable. I tie knots in the ends of the ear loops in order to achieve a snug fit, but my 20-something boys can also wear the same mask, but w/o knots.

They are sold either via the N95 Project or BonaFide Masks.

2 Likes

The craziest thing was Biddy went out on a limb in that email and labeled both cloth AND surgical masks “not effective”. While KN95 masks are far more effective, I think labeling surgical masks “not effective” is not supported by the science and actually makes it hard to take her seriously.

6 Likes

its so puzzling. I wonder if they missed an autoimmune issue. He could have been “healthy” but had something that was never caught. or his immune system went into some type of overdrive? But to catch the original, then get vaccinated, and then get Delta and die as a young person. wow!

1 Like

** deleted ** (can’t figure out how)

Covid also does substantial internal damage that, if you’re young and healthy, you may not feel. Who knows how he’d been weakened by the first round.

2 Likes