Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

I agree with that and I’m sure Andy Slavitt just means the weather analogy to make us think about this as something that is constantly fluctuating and never “over.”

2 Likes

@sdl0625 to me, it doesn’t matter whether it’s someone who is a stranger or someone who is known to me. I did have a relative ask me why I was wearing a mask at my uncle’s funeral. It still wasn’t any of his business, despite the fact that he has known me my entire life (my father’s brother). I had very personal reasons that are no one else’s business.

4 Likes

Although “COVID weather” may be the opposite of real weather in some respects.

For example, if “COVID weather” is concerning (high community spread and hospital loads, variant that can be serious to vaccinated people, etc.) but real weather is nice, it may be a good day to spend outdoors (away from crowds, of course).

Let’s get back to colleges please. Personal anecdotes not related to colleges and Covid weather are better served in the general thread.

And questions about “what makes you comfortable” are also best avoided here.

1 Like

Thank you for your concern. He is getting better all the time, assume he will fully recover. But no, he is not going to get vaccinated, and neither is his 18 year old brother. Their mom did not let her 2 boys get any vaccinations. She and her husband (my husbands brother) only got covid vaccination because they had to for work. They are just upping the younger son’s vitamin intake, but no vaccine.

Yes but D still disappointed and I honestly don’t think everyone needs to be masked in a small dance class in order to keep kids safe from Covid. The kids who want to wear masks can.

It makes zero sense to me when these girls have all been seen out and about at restaurant and dorms and parties with no masks. When a professor asks kids to wear them, that’s different to me. Maybe that adult is being very careful outside of class but these kids just are not.

2 Likes

Rather than letting them “decide for themselves,” it sure seems like you want to decide for them.

5 Likes

??

They can wear masks if they want. I’m not choosing for them.

Are the kids likely to get vaccinations on their own after they can, or have they followed their mother’s anti-vaccination beliefs themselves? (Some kids of anti-vaccination parents go get vaccinated against various diseases after they turn 18 and can find free vaccination places.)

[quote] But no, he is not going to get vaccinated, and neither is his 18 year old brother. Their mom did not let her 2 boys get any vaccinations. She and her husband (my husbands brother) only got covid vaccination because they had to for work. They are just upping the younger son’s vitamin intake…,
[/quote]

The 20 year old and the 18 year old don’t have to have someone “let” them get vaccinated.

4 Likes

The class decided everyone should mask. You’ve decided that not everyone needs to wear a mask, despite the wishes of the class. It sure sound like you are choosing for them.

4 Likes

I don’t agree with the anonymous voting procedure. Masking is optional now and should be optional. And again, this class has eight kids in it, all of whom don’t mask in their dorm, while they socialize and when they eat in the cafeteria. I don’t understand why any of them would vote to dance with masks on when they are unmasked in other places. Unless they are masked at all other times, they should not be voting to make other kids mask around them in this class.

6 Likes

Our school district just announced masking optional indoors - right on time for the big spirit week event tonight.
I’m very happy for the students.

8 Likes

Above you indicated that Colgate has “told kids to always carry masks and please put them on if asked.” I’m afraid I still don’t understand why the directive shouldn’t apply to your daughter. Nor do I understand what your speculation about the habits of these particular kids outside of the class has to do with Colgate’s directive.

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree regarding what common courtesy entails on mask optional campuses.

1 Like

This sort of second-guessing is exactly what Hope College is hoping to avoid by telling students to just “love your neighbor” and put on a mask when asked, without asking for justification.

3 Likes

Not true for Tufts - still masking and testing twice/ week

2 Likes
4 Likes

My D19 took a COVID gap year, as she had zero interest in zoom university, and fortunately transferred to a university in the south with what I think have been reasonable and reflective COVID protocols.

I feel badly for these students who feel trapped and dissatisfied with their current situation. Transferring can be disruptive and may not be financially possible for some students unhappy with their current institution’s COVID restrictions.

This article highlights the importance for this year’s incoming freshman to understand the “COVID mindset” of the schools they’re considering attending in the fall. Just because the COVID restrictions may be currently on hiatus, one needs to look at the historical protocols and timelines because new variants may resurrect them in the future. Caveat emptor!

5 Likes

And many students and parents are extremely happy that universities have (and, hopefully, will) take scientifically sound precautions when necessary. These parents may not be the most vocal on Facebook or here, but they exist in large numbers.

6 Likes

Absolutely! Students need to understand what they’re choosing for the next 4 years with respect to Covid protocols. Given that many of these students have been living with them for the last 2+ years they’re in a better position than the 2019 and 2020 high school grads to make that assessment. However, if they’re coming from a less restrictive environment it’s important they really comprehend what college life under some of these restrictions looks like.

3 Likes