Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Yes, recommended not mandated.

Yes the UK and Denmark recommend the bivalent booster in these groups, they do not mandate it (just as the CDC doesn’t mandate it.) Not sure why you claimed that “The UK and Denmark do not even allow the bivalent booster for healthy people under 50”?

Also note that the CDC also recommends (but does not mandate) vaccines and boosters for MMR, TDaP, Polio, and a variety of other illnesses. And many colleges require students to follow these recommendations.

3 Likes

The source of data/news is everywhere. I could see the policy on the website is different from what you saw. What I want to address is the booster shouldn’t be mandated. As you said CDS also recommends it, however, there are schools mandating it with their own policies. Parents are fighting it. 3 jabs in a year already. If you are interested you could google it to find out.

All UC websites have a link to the same UC policy. https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/VaccinationProgramsPolicy

From the FAQ section,

I do not have any approved Exceptions. What boosters do I need to have to
comply with the policy, and when do I need to get them?
The policy requires you to be Up-To-Date on your Vaccine(s). This means that you
have received the Primary Series and all additional doses or boosters recommended
by the CDC or by CDPH, including the updated (bivalent) booster if recommended for
you. Please consult your location to determine the compliance deadline for boosters.

1 Like

Not sure if you are interested in this.

2 Likes

Regardless of mandates or not, any rational college student who does not have a medical contraindication would want to get the booster in order to reduce the risk of COVID-19. Getting COVID-19 does have lower risk for the typical age group, but the risk is not zero, and getting sick can still be unpleasant. In addition, missing up to two weeks of in-person school, social activities, and work (for students who work to help pay for school) while testing positive for COVID-19 (whether required or because one has good manners to try to avoid spreading the virus) is not something most college students want to do either. While those who recently had a (probably current variant) infection may want to wait a few months in order to get the most benefit from the booster, they still would want to get the booster eventually for maximum immunity. Younger men concerned about the tiny risks (compared to various medical and non-medical COVID-19 risks) of myocarditis associated with mRNA vaccines may want to choose the Pfizer vaccine over the Moderna vaccine.

1 Like

To this point my daughter just had to take a leave of absence from her college because she tested positive on the first day of classes and was forced to miss 2 weeks of school and she was never able to catch up and was also automatically dropped from a class because she had too many absences. It’s been a complete nightmare. It’s wrecked havoc on her and our family.

You assume college students are acting rationally? Maybe some of them, but there are a lot who think they’re invincible. I’m not even trying to convince my son. I know he will refuse. I’m thinking about just making him an appointment for when he comes home at Thanksgiving and then driving him there.

BTW, he already had covid once (probably omicron) and was only really sick for a few hours, followed by a couple days of cold symptoms. He says he’s been much sicker than that with random viruses. He’s not afraid of covid at all. As for having to quarantine if you are positive, that’s only if you test and even then it’s honor system with no enforcement. Last time he didn’t bother and went back to classes and gym once he felt better.

Some do, even though some do not.

When I had COVID-19, it was just minor symptoms for about a week – but testing positive on antigen tests (i.e. probably still contagious) for about another week afterward.

Meaning he could have still been contagious and in class and gym. The virus thanks him.

It is true that different colleges (and employers for students who work part time while in school) differ on whether they have any requirements for those who test positive.

If he got COVID-19 very recently, it may be better to wait until a few months after the infection in order to get the most benefit from a booster.

What about kids who may not have had 4 vaccines over the last 2 years? Are they required to have just the latest vaccine or to make up all the other ones?

My daughter is a grad student. I know she had the first 2 but not sure on the other 2, and I’m sure she hasn’t had the newest one.

Other daughter is no longer a student but has had only the first 2. Her office doesn’t require them.

No, CDC no longer recommending monovalent booster. Just bivalent
mRNA booster.

The only CDC criteria for getting the bivalent booster is completing the primary series (2 doses of P, M, or N, or 1 dose of J), and having the last dose of vaccine at least two months ago.

There is no requirement to get any booster before the bivalent booster, nor are non-bivalent boosters supposed to be offered now.

2 Likes

Ahem - so now we went from claiming “not allowed” to actually “recommended”?

So if the first part of assertion is untrue, your subsequent claim is based on
 (?):

Any activity, and any inactivity, is inherently risky - so you choose those that have the LEAST risk. The risks of Myocarditis due to a Covid infection is actually higher than due to the Pfizer vaccine.

So very sorry - I guess I was spoiled by how responsibly other colleges accommodated whatever (to be expected) share of infections.

I had not realized that there are administrations that can somehow justify to open college during a pandemic, realizing that infections will occur among the students, yet NOT having procedures in place where students can attend classes while isolating.

Those colleges should have appear on a “do not apply” list, as your nightmare scenario could very reasonably happen to any student!

1 Like

Not sure what you are trying to say. I got these news from website but fifty-fifty1 corrected me saying UK and Denmakr actually recommend the bivalent. Then I just simply address the word of ‘recommend’ as I have a concern about university mandates.

Some might not - and some might!

I, for example, was very encouraged that my daughter’s university was following the science in being guided by those decisions - including a testing regime that allowed them to adopt procedures based on positivity rates at the university AND the community overall, and also based on the fact that everyone was up-to-date with CDC recommended boosters.

When my daughter eventually caught (what the end turned out to be) the flu and had reported symptoms, I witnessed how initially their Covid support team, faculty and advisors all kicked in, within hours offering dining gift cards, class accommodations, finding out what she might need/miss, etc.

2 Likes

I am talking about Fordham parents. are you part of it?

Then I do apologize. It wasn’t apparent to me that you were not claiming to state actual knowledge about UK/DK, and that the supposed explanation-why was not your own.

(It would have helped to put that statement in quotes, and possibly include a link to the fake-news site.)

Either way I appreciate the clarification that the UK/DK in fact do NOT “know it is unnecessary, redundant, and risky” - which is what the emphasis should be.

No, different Manhattan university.
I completely believe and agree that at any college, there will be whatever share of parents who will voice opposition, and another share of parents who support enacted measures.

Thanks for the advice. I seldom on the forum and social media.

1 Like

@DigitalDad Just curious is your daughter’s school mandate the B-vax? Fordham is in NYC and seems the only few are mandating it.