Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Today Colgate is switching to modified Gate 1 due to increase in positive cases and contact tracings on campus. Here’s the email sent today.
This is quite long.

Dear Colgate Community,

Recent increases in positive COVID-19 tests on campus necessitate a return to modified Gate 1 restrictions with reevaluation on Monday, April 19. This has always been a part of the University’s plan if we detected an uptick in new cases and close contacts. This recommendation was made this afternoon by the Task Force on the Reopening of Campus and the Health Analytics Team, and is out of an abundance of caution to stem the spread of the virus. Barring an upward trend in positive cases, we are hoping for a transition out of this modified Gate 1 on Tuesday.

Metrics that will be used to determine our Gate status next week include: a reduction in positive PCR tests; a reduction in the average number of close contacts; wastewater results that do not indicate spread; compliance with Commitment to Community Health and with this modified Gate; and Wendt capacity and staffing.
The Data
As of this afternoon, there are now 19 students and one employee in isolation, and 14 employees and 134 students in close-contact quarantine. Currently, 47 students are at the Wendt University Inn, and 92 have returned home. Thirteen students are in quarantine in off-campus housing. As of midnight, a total of 47 out of 94 rooms at the Wendt are now occupied, and three of 15 rooms at 76 Broad Street are housing individuals in travel quarantine.

Contact tracing of these new positive cases and close contacts does not reveal a common denominator. Infections have stemmed from gatherings, group dining, and travel.
Avoid Travel and Guests
Gate 1 travel restrictions outlined in the Commitment to Community Health are now in effect. Travel requests can still be made through the Colgate Together website to accommodate vaccination appointments, medical appointments, or emergency personal requests. Any unapproved travel will be considered a violation of the Commitment to Community Health and will be adjudicated accordingly

As a reminder, guests are still not permitted on campus. This includes friends and family.
Modified Gate 1 Guidance
All in-person classes will continue to meet in person. Professors, as always, have discretion over the mode of instruction. There has been no documented evidence of viral transmission in classrooms on campus with proper social distancing and face coverings.
Starting this evening, all meals will return to a grab-and-go format at Frank Dining Hall, the Coop, and Donovan’s Pub. Menu offerings will be similar to the beginning of the semester, and students will be able to bring grocery bags to carry reusable green containers out of the dining venues. They can return the containers when they arrive for their next meal. To assist in our efforts to de-densify the dining halls, we encourage students to eat at the same dining venue they were assigned to during the spring universal quarantine. Unlike the universal quarantine, all three dining venues will remain open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Students will be asked to swipe their card to use their meal plan or pay the door rate.
Libraries will remain open with continued requirements for face coverings and physical distancing.
Physically distant, individual exercise or recreation activity is permitted with face coverings. Trudy Fitness Center and Lineberry Natatorium remain open with existing requirements for physical distancing and face coverings.
Club sports can continue to train together in groups of 10 or less. Competition has been suspended at this time.
Groups of 10 or fewer people — ideally involving as few family units as possible to minimize the number of close contacts — may interact in outdoor locations or indoor recreation spaces, if they wear face coverings and maintain physical distance of 6 feet between people (12 feet if there is physical exercise or heavy breathing).
Socializing will be permitted with the extended family unit in common rooms within one’s own residence hall, while following guidelines for face coverings and physical distancing. Students outside of the same direct family unit must not socialize within residence hall bedrooms or on residence hall floors with living quarters.
No cross-residence hall visitation. Students in apartments and townhouses may continue utilizing their internal common spaces for socializing with extended family units but are not permitted to host guests and should still wear masks and maintain physical distancing.
All varsity sport programs that are participating in any organized activity will return to full athletic testing (3x per week antigen testing). Those participating in competitive seasons may continue to be subjected to higher-level testing in accordance with opponent needs.
Vaccine and Testing Updates
Regular PCR surveillance testing will continue as planned. If you are selected to receive PCR testing, please report to 113 Broad Street as instructed.
Faculty, staff, and students who have already received one dose of the Moderna vaccine and are scheduled for a second dose on campus in the weeks ahead, please plan on receiving your second dose as scheduled. Individuals in isolation or quarantine must wait until the conclusion of their quarantine or isolation period prior to receiving a second dose.
Starting tomorrow, Wednesday, April 14, Colgate will provide on-demand antigen testing at the Hall of Presidents for students planning to depart campus and for anyone with exposure concerns. It is not recommended that students return home at this time. If students choose to return home, they must first consult with their professors and work with their deans prior to departing. Students who voluntarily leave campus (as opposed to those who are quarantining at home as a result of being identified as a close contact) will not be allowed to return. Individuals seeking antigen testing must register for a time here.
End-of-Semester Considerations
We will continue our planning for commencement, but will, necessarily, aim our energies and focus now on moving the campus to a modified Gate 1 and addressing current health concerns. We will share updates on Colgate’s commencement plans on or before April 19.

As we have mentioned before in previous communications, our hold on success has always been tenuous. In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, our vigilance must be as tenacious as the virus itself, and we must be as adaptable.

The last time we were at Gate 1, there were months to go in the semester. At this point, there are mere weeks between us and the summer recess. I still believe that we can finish strong. Under the current circumstances, that means coming together to focus on our academic mission, our collective mental and physical health, and our commitment to the wellbeing of our community. I know that we can meet this challenge.

1 Like

Back to Gate 1 as of yesterday, with 140+ in quarantine/isolation. Five townhouses have been evacuated into quarantine with exceptions given to those that had already tested positive and recovered or those 2+ weeks from completion of vaccine. Really, really not good…

1 Like

Those kids must have left campus to catch Covid. That’s too bad. I hope the school found everyone who could possibly be positive and they have good news over the next week that none of those in quarantine test positive.

Considering Colgate has been participating in spring sports, there are obviously kids not staying on campus because they have to travel to compete. My son’s campus had an outbreak and while it is impossible to know where it started, there were two teams that had a high percentage of positives among their players.

3 Likes

Not exactly. One of the first recent positives was an athletic team staff member. Several parents also went to campus for Easter to take their students to dinner and (absolutely no offense intended since I am sure this doesn’t apply to you) several potential students and families have been doing self-guided tours and have been observed in dining halls, the library, and dorms despite being told that is not permitted. During a conversation with my D as campus was shutting down the other day, she was walking back to her room and saw a family open the door and walk in to the library.

1 Like

That’s so disrespectful. We were damn lucky to be allowed to get a tour. My S and H just toured (outside) and thankfully S just got a negative test back. Whew.

My daughter’s college was approved as a vaccination site earlier this month and began vaccinating faculty and staff yesterday. Student vaccinations will begin April 19 in accordance with Philadelphia Department of Health guidelines.

2 Likes

We did the official tour and info session and followed the rules. Hopefully any prospective students in campus kept their masks on if they went in buildings. I don’t think those rule breakers would spread Covid if they had masks on but of course I I don’t approve of them sneaking in buildings.

Taking students out for Easter is a problem. Unless all parents were vaccinated fully, they could have spread Covid to their kids. That’s irresponsible.

I know kids there who left for a few days around Easter. Not sure if they are fully vaccinated. If not, they could also be to blame.

Like I said, I just hope the close contacts don’t test positive. Bowdoin had a case a couple of weeks ago and there were 28 close contacts (or something like that). None of them has tested positive over their ten day quarantine. I hope the same happens at Colgate.

1 Like

An outbreak during decision time is less than optimal.

2 Likes

According to D, walking to and from Colgate Inn, last weekend, you could see groups of students partying in the lower housings. Tsk!!! I don’t get it. I know they’re young and just trying to enjoy time on campus but the irresponsibilty from those who constantly break the community guidelines is just pure selfishness.

6 Likes

UC Davis announces in-person graduation plans: Checking In With Chancellor May: Announcing Limited In-Person Commencement Ceremonies

1 Like

My daughter tells me that Haverford is planning to require the vaccine for students in the fall and are considering their options for requiring it of faculty/staff as well.

4 Likes

Bowdoin announced they will require all community members to be fully vaccinated by Fall semester…includes students, faculty, and staff. Some exemptions will be allowed.

https://www.bowdoin.edu/president/writings-and-addresses/messages-to-the-community/2021/apr-16.html

6 Likes

Notre Dame update:

No “Easter Break” bump in cases, actually dropped to a 7-day average of 0.4% positivity rate. It was over 1% prior to Easter.

Over 90% of ND students are vaccinated or scheduled to be vaccinated. The “carrott” was a 90% or greater rate would trigger reduced restrictions.

It sounds like the school plans to be more ‘normal’ in the Fall.

Graduation will allow limited family member attendance, but at least some will be allowed.

4 Likes

Lehigh will require vaccines for fall 2021. Goal is for fall 2021 to be “normal”.

Our goal is to provide the richest and most engaging educational experience possible for all Lehigh students. As we have previously described, we are planning for undergraduate courses to be held in person in the fall, except for a small number of cases in which remote instruction will accommodate students who cannot be on campus because of visa issues or medical accommodations. Residence halls and Greek houses will be at normal capacity. We will also maintain separate housing for students who contract COVID and need to be isolated. We plan to have a robust set of club activities, sports competitions and arts performances with spectators and audiences.

5 Likes

I have always wondered about what I call the “chicken or the egg” scenario of the virus as is relates to schools. For colleges, specifically, do the students pose a risk to the community or does the community pose a risk to the student body?

Yes, I realize there are a number of variables that make concrete answers elusive at best. Here are some snippets of information to support one hypothesis: I feel college students are not a threat to the surrounding community. Therefore, in person instruction, with modifications, should be the norm, not the exception.

I have experience with Notre Dame’s journey through this pandemic. They have chosen to keep students on campus, with normal density housing, all year. For the most part, classes have been in person all year. Class rooms have been modified to allow for spacing of students and barriers are in place between students and instructors. Dining has been take out style with some large structures added for spaced dining.

How has this worked?

Notre Dame’s case rate mirrors that of St. Joseph County. In the Fall of 2020 ND saw a case spike in early November (but they beat Clemson!). The county saw a spike about a week later. This snapshot would disprove my hypothesis. All ND students went home for Thanksgiving and did not return to campus until Feb 3. During that time in St. Joseph county, they saw the highest spike of the pandemic on December 8, suggesting a post Thanksgiving event. The County saw steady decline for the rest of December, then another small spike on January 10th. A New Year’s Eve event. ND students are long gone for both of these spikes.

So, what happened in February when all these students from all over the country converged on campus. The ND rate predictably spiked in 2 weeks. The positive test rate was about 2% at its peak. Did this spike lead to a spike in the County? Nope. St Joseph county has been relatively flat since February 1st.

What’s the relationship look like right now?

Notre Dame has single digit positive cases on a daily basis for the past two weeks. A positive test rate of 0.3%. St Joseph county has actually been increasing in the past few weeks with a number of days with over 100 cases per day. Their positive test rate is 4.4% I realize that comparing these two rates is not really fair. ND is doing random surveillance testing, so there will be a greater % of negatives built in when compared to a county testing only symptomatic and contacts. Its the only data I have.

My conclusions:

It is possible to “do school” in person, safely. It does not increase the risk for the surrounding community. The November spike - possibly due to the Clemson football game. The community spike happens to coincide with the national chart, so not sure there is as much of a correlation as we might think. December spike - students long gone. January spike - same. No spike when students returned in February. Current trends are going in the opposite direction - ND down, community up.

HUGE DISCLAIMER - I am not a scientist. I do not have access to tons of homogeneous data sets to be able to draw concrete conclusions. I also have an observation bias - I think lock downs were a big mistake. This is my assertion based on observational data and my limited intellectual power.

3 Likes

The answer depends on the specific college and community, specifically how much the students and the rest of the community interact. It is likely that any level of risk (low or high) would be bidirectional, since the risk is based on risky types of interaction between the students and community members.

Of course, as students and community members get vaccinated, risk goes down due to vaccination.

The US mostly implemented “lockdowns” that were insufficient to vanquish the virus (compared to how New Zealand beat the virus) but were enough to annoy people – the worst of both worlds in terms of both the burden of COVID-19 sickness and death and the burden of other effects of both the “lockdowns” and fear of COVID-19.

1 Like

Agreed on the first point. Still not convinced on the second. I think it is one of those ‘we will never know’ issues. (or maybe, we will never agree). It’s simply my opinion.

1 Like

UChicago’s epidemiologists kept a close eye on this very question. Last fall, when cases were spiking in the city of Chicago, UChicago was well behind the trendline. However, over time more off-campus students started contracting the virus. Fortunately, the school made it to the Thanksgiving week goal before switching to online (as originally planned) for everybody. The conclusion in that case was that off-campus students were contracting Covid from the community.

In contrast, the notable spike in Covid cases, including the UK and Brazilian variants, among the undergraduate population in the early weeks of spring quarter - particularly among those in on-campus housing - was a direct result of undergraduate student activity during and immediately following spring break. Working with the Chicago Dept. of Public Health, the university took appropriate action and two weeks later was able to start re-opening. The restrictions were limited to the undergraduate population since the spread didn’t seem to jump to anyone else in the university community. Presumably, the Dept. of Health is satisfied that the outbreak didn’t adversely impact the surrounding south side community.

1 Like

Interesting editorial from the Williams Record arguing schools should require vaccinations:

Editorial: To ‘return in earnest,’ students should be required to get vaccinated – The Williams Record

4 Likes