Colleges with little Greek life

It is! My oldest son pledged a business fraternity freshman year but with hazing unfortunately), he ended up with a great job after graduation with a company founded by fraternity brothers (he’s a very social person), my younger son ended up dirty rushing his first semester, the president of the fraternity is a close friend of one of his sisters, so that helped. It was much easier for my daughters, my oldest didn’t join a sorority and had plenty of parties to go to.

It is very very rare for a sorority to host a party with alcohol. If it seems like a ‘sorority party’ it is most likely a party held at a private residence (apartment or house rented by members) as it is against National Panhel rules to serve alcohol at a sorority house (and the insurance policy). If something is hosted at a sorority, it is more likely to be a fundraiser like a chili cookoff or pancake breakfast.

It doesn’t matter if the house is on university property or off campus. The house doesn’t sponsor parties but individual members may have a private party, not a blow out. Private parties invite who the hosts want.

I meant the girls could go to the frat parties, I think the only parties their sororities had were formals. One campus has Greek dorms, the other had private off campus leased homes.

1 Like

I have three boys who went to three different colleges. None were into sports or frats. All enjoyed themselves in spite of it apparently.

Colleges have clubs. Mine took advantage of those - clubs open to males and females and based upon interests.

2 Likes

Dickinson - low key Greek. Juniata - no Greek at all.

But agree that the vibe can be very different. The Alabama and W&M example was a good one.

I also know someone who went to a big southern school and not only did the daughters go early for rush week, the mothers went as well!

2 Likes

We’ll encourage her to keep an open mind…at least with greek systems that may not be the stereotypical type. Re: the moms at rush week?..bizarre, lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.