Colleges with strong Polytechnic and $50K or less COA?

In terms of Cal Poly, there on a quarter system and my D21 has only been there for 2-3 weeks. But they did a great job with transition. They use a welcome week with a ton of activities, like roller skating, kayaking, bonfires at the beach, hiking, etc. to ease the kids in by putting them into groups of about 24.

I don’t know if the school is a fit for your kid, or your pocketbook, but it’s a truly a wonderful CA location, lower stress kinda CA public school. At least so far. :grinning: I’d say most of the country likely hasn’t heard of the school, but in talking with current students, graduates and alumni, I haven’t found anyone who didn’t like the school.

3 Likes

I would choose this only if he likes the major (which I think is pretty cool and pays well). He can’t use it as a stepping stone to a tougher admit, because part of the process is determining whether a student would have been admitted to the destination major right out of HS. It’s hard to swim up stream.

1 Like

Now looking into IU Kelley Direct Admit. He’s close with a 1330 and 3.8 WGPA but it’s $54K all-in.

He may also change his major to business at Purdue but they don’t offer Real Estate. We weren’t able to go into the business building but it wasn’t one of the prettier ones on campus. Maybe that was the MBA building – across the street from main entrance.

He doesn’t need real estate as a major or minor. He needs all the finance, valuation, and accounting he can get…

3 Likes

@gumbymom probably has the stats, but I don’t think any impacted major is accessible with a 3.3UW at Cal Poly since test scores won’t be factored in and only AP will add weight to the GPA with OP being OOS (going with 3.8 TX-weighted and keeping only AP’s for the CA-weighted would lower that to ?3.6?, not sure about the extra math weight though? Not sure about the exact rules :cry: Is there a Rogerhub site for this?)
The bottom 25% threshold is 4.0 weighted for the College of Business overall and the easier College of Ag still requires about 3.85 weighted (in case a major interests OP’s son in that college, lots of interesting options). Indeed a great campus, great college, great area but I’m not sure it’s within reach so I worry this may be tantalizing OP’s son with something he can’t get.
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/education/article242092656.html
Definitely apply but it’s a big reach.
Here are more accessible CPP (the OTHER Cal Poly) majors that may be of interest if Cal Polys are of interest. LA region, wild mustangs (actual horses), strong reputation and professional placement.
https://www.cpp.edu/engineering/ime/
https://www.cpp.edu/agri/food-science/index.shtml
https://www.cpp.edu/engineering/et/
https://www.cpp.edu/cba/technology-and-operations-management/index.shtml

@tristatecoog: Cal poly SLO uses 9th-11th grades for the a-g course requirements with a cap of 8 semesters of AP/IB or CSU transferable CC/DE courses taken 10-11th grade.

If the GPA uw is 3.3 for 9-11th then the highest SLO GPA would be in the 3.5-3.7 range. The SLO GPA will below the 25th percentile for all the SLO Colleges as noted by @MYOS1634 however, SLO does not breakout GPA admit ranges by major. Some majors have very good acceptance rates, so possible to be accepted into some of these majors such as IT Packaging as noted by @eyemgh. In General, Cal Poly SLO is a Reach school overall with a 4.00-4.25 GPA admit range for the whole school.

1 Like

What we do know is number of students that applied versus the number accepted. The last non-COVID impacted numbers, assuming a yield of 33% are as follows: Business Administration 26% acceptance, Econ 15% acceptance, IT/Packaging 80% acceptance.

Remember, selectivity is one thing, popularity. Why IT/Packaging isn’t more popular is beyond me. It seems very interesting. It’s one of the more likely Cal Poly admits and they get great, well paying jobs.

1 Like

I agree with you, I don’t understand why IT/Packaging isn’t more popular considering how good the professionl outcomes are and how intrinsically interesting it is.
With 80% acceptance rate it’s definitely worth trying for even for applicants below 4.0. :palms_up_together: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Not sure what your point is on SMU? I spent my career in Texas and never once worked with an SMU engineer, nor did my companies recruit there. I worked with several Purdue engineers, though, all the way here in Central Texas, and they were solid, but they were real engineers, not ‘engineering technology’.

I had to go way up in the chain to see what I was referencing.

You needed to see the message I was responding to to understand the context of my message - which was more generalist on SMU. The initial message below was from @momocarly

"Well, as a graduate of SMU’s engineering school I have had no problem in finding jobs.

Back in the dark ages the engineering program was the schools stepchild - buildings dark and old, outdated labs, outdated professors. Wasn’t a great experience for me but I know it has come a long way. However, I have done very well with my degree. I went to work for Exxon at first and then moved over into the aerospace industry and am still there."

SMU’s engineering program only graduates less than 200 per year while Purdue now has an entering class of 10,000 and engineering is its top area. The SMU poster above went to Exxon. Recent grads I know went into consulting, Qualcomm, Meta software engineer, Raytheon, TI, AT&T, Capital One, etc.

I was a chemical engineer for a bit and then in the food business for many years and Purdue engineers are prevalent everywhere. My son will go to Purdue for engineering if he gets in but it’s a challenge to get in and then a challenge to get the major you want after FYE. Otherwise, he’s also looking at real estate finance due to his calculus challenges. Applied to seven schools by October 31 – SMU, IU, Purdue, FSU, UF, Wisconsin and Tulane (free app). He should hear from IU first and then maybe SMU and Tulane by year end.

What schools did he end up getting into? Did he get into Purdue for engineering?

He applied to Tulane (free app), SMU Cox, Purdue (computer engineering and cybersecurity), Wisconsin (computer engineering), Indiana Kelley, FSU and Florida.

Rejected at Tulane, Purdue (both) and Wisconsin.
Accepted at SMU (deferred at Cox) and Indiana (rejected at Kelley).
FSU and UF come later this month.

Parent on faculty at SMU
Somewhat surprised he was rejected at Purdue Polytechnic but he’s stronger in liberal arts classes than math and science although taking calculus AB this year.