Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Coming back to list a few more schools not in the northeast that I toured with my DD23. These tours were all done between summer 2021- fall 2022, mostly over the long weekends. We are in PNW so these schools are all ‘relatively’ close to us.

Whitman: stayed the same. Drop dead gorgeous day with great admission staff and a tour guide. Very remote. DD thought it’s a bit like Williams except town is bigger and had better pastries and coffee (she’s right)

Reed: went up. The info session/tour here was incredible. I have toured probably 20-30 schools total including most of the Ivy+( DD23 is my third)- and this was by far the best one I attended. Surprisingly… DD23 agreed with me(!)
She did think the school was a bit small.
On the other hand I ran into a friend of mine with her DD after the info session and she was totally not sold (along with her DD). Clearly it was just a perfect pitch for us.

Lewis and Clark: we didn’t tour here because DD23 said there is no place to get food/coffee within a walking distance from college which is an auto dealbreaker

University of Washington: went down. Campus is too spread out, too big. We couldn’t do the official tour and it was spring break.

Berkeley: stayed the same. another big campus. But she liked the social justice vibe and the tour guide was great. Also she loved Berkeley, the town.

UCLA: went down. Too big and too many people and too SoCal.

Pomona/Claremont McKeena: went down. I loved the cute town and the campus. She thought it was suburban and boring.

13 Likes