Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

@memmom2018 A couple of things. First, CNU is a really nice small, public school. It has a beautiful campus with new facilities, though there is not much in Newport News. The school is close to the James River, which is a plus and 30 mins from VA Beach (2 hours to the Outer Banks). Professors are passionate, academics are very good, and lots of companies in the area like CNU students. President Trible has put this school on the map, but IMO it needs more national recognition to attract more OOS students, not for money, but to diversify it’s student population (92% from VA). Second, High Point does have a reputation of being a bit of a spa school but their steak house serves a purpose: to teach etiquette. Too many kids have no idea how to conduct themselves in a formal dining situation so HPU teaches them what to do. The objective is to allow students to feel confident in interview and work situations centered around a formal meal. I think it’s a good thing. As for catering too much, High Point expects its students to be in class or meet tutors when scheduled. They follow up. That’s more than a lot of schools do, but certain students need that. It is a great school for late bloomers.

1 Like

@Lindagaf

http://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/2018/02/umass-amherst-roasts-the-competition-at-inter-university-iron-chef-event/

“a Dine-esty in the making”

This goes way back to 1968. I took the MBTA Green Line with my mom to visit Boston University and Boston College. As the train came out of the tunnel my mom got up to leave the train at the BU stop. I said "Is this it? She said yes. i said “Nah”. We stayed on the train and visited BC. I ended up attending Northeastern which had a real campus, even back then.

REUs U0 MBTA UCF CNU HPU

I am obviously a west coaster. These are the acronyms on this page alone that I do not know.

I do know LOL and NYC however, and fortunately I toured UBC (more acronyms, yeah!) and know what Tim Horton’s is because of that, so I am not totally clueless.

And while being totally honest, I just googled and learned that DD stands for “dear daughter.” Really? All the time on here and I thought it was dad’s daughter (like step daughter to the poster or it implied second daughter). Wow, I really need a handbook for this site.

@CADREAMIN Agree. I thought that DD meant the same thing.

Not to mention that acronyms for colleges can be misleading: OSU could be Ohio State or Oklahoma State or Oregon State, UA can be Alabama or Arizona or Arkansas, UM can be Minnesota or Michigan or occasionally Maryland, MSU can be Michigan State or Mississippi State or Montana State—and those are just the public colleges. Moving to privates, BU could be Boston or Baylor or Bradley or Butler, DU can be Denison or Drake or Denver or Drexel or occasionally Duke, SU can be Stanford or Syracuse or Susquehanna.

And, of course, CMU could be either Carnegie Mellon or Central Michigan.

TL;DR: Please write out which university you’re referring to. It helps.

What does “TL;DR” mean ? :slight_smile:

I just say daughter or son. Keep it simple. Keep it real.

TL;DR means “Too long; didn’t read.”

Thank you as I just assumed it meant “in summary”.

@dfbdfb And students asking to be chanced by the school name not the university name. Some of these school’s have only been renamed in the past couple of years. for example: what are my chances at Dornsife?

I guess if you don’t know what Dornsife is, you wouldn’t be able to give a helpful Chance assessment.

Personally, I wish all this chancing stuff could stick to the chancing threads. Or go away altogether!

From what I have read on College Confidential, a great deal of valuable information, critiques & insights are shared through chance threads.

There is a lot of bad information in chance threads.

There is a lot of debatable information on most threads.

I just view chance threads as a person asking for help while sharing a substantial amount of relevant information about themselves.

Seems to me that too many chance inquiries are students looking for someone to tell them what is obvious. All we can do is look at the same admissions stats they can and say the same things- 50 (whatever) % with your stats do/do not get in. Depending on my mood I may be kind or blunt.

The best are the “chance me and I’ll chance you back” requests - makes me laugh every time.

“Chance me and I’ll chance you back”=the blind leading the blind, and then switching places.

Any chancer who tells a student that he ha “a great chance” of getting into Harvard.

REUs - summer research opportunities for undergrads (Research Experience for Undergrads I think, officially)
U0 - no idea is that a zero or an O? Looks like a zero - 0
MBTA - Massachusetts something transportation?
UCF - U Central Florida?
CNU - no idea
HPU - no idea