Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

And yet every year thousands of kids are dumbfounded when they aren’t accepted into schools that they are statistically qualified to attend. There are obviously other factors to consider.

Notre Dame hides that it is Catholic by not having Holy in its name. And naming it in French. No one can figure it out.

This is such an odd comment.

Is there anyone out there who doesn’t know that Notre Dame is Catholic?

It’s sarcasm folks

^^^^^^ @sue22 Exactly.

I’m guessing it was a joke but the poster forgot to add a smiley face!

“No one can figure it out.”

The quote of the week on CC. Too funny…

Come on folks. I have seen you all having to answer posters who ask about the influence of the religion on the school. And of course it doesn’t have any major change in the atmosphere. And there are some who just prefer no affiliation.

And if you don’t think it is somewhat self selecting we just disagree. But no reason to be so disrespectful to a viewpoint.

And Georgetown with it’s more arcane application also limits some modestly interested - i will throw in an app and see what happens.

And a school with a high quality of applicants with specific interest in a school and where 6 out of ten are rejected is a safety? Like holy cross Once again we politely do not agree. For me a safety is a school I am nearly guaranteed admittance.

@dfbdfb Ahem. That’s the definition of a solid match.

Husband, daughter and I visited seven colleges in four days. The humidity was unbelievable (visiting from dry-climate party of country); hopefully it’s not always like that!

Daughter definitely crossed off:

U Richmond—too much like a prep school, young-teen-centric vibe.

American—too pre-professional.

Probably crossed off:

UNC Chapel Hill—Appealing school, but lack of geographical diversity when coming in as OOS student became a larger factor after visiting. Her preference is for a smaller school as well.

Moved up:

Haverford—Loved it. Great academic advising, loved the intellectual vibe and sense of community, pretty campus, advantages of Tri-Co, good location. (Haverford was favorite)

Bryn Mawr—Same as above plus liked the traditions (for instance the passing on of the lantern) that resonated with daughter (unlike many other colleges where the traditions seemed a little corny). Preference is for co-ed school but really liked BM and will definitely apply.

Swarthmore—Same as above, stunning campus, all tour guides were nerdy, so wondering about that, usually there is a range of type, but definitely will apply.

Not sure:

Duke—Extremely impressive academic resources and offerings but the huge campus was a disappointment. Nice campus and facilities but so large you have to take a bus (which runs every five minutes), almost seems like it would be better to attend as a graduate student. Daughter still liked it and thinks she could be happy there but was hoping to love it as she does have grandfather legacy and would have considered early decision if it was her first choice but it wasn’t.

UMD CP—We were scheduled for a tour but rush hour traffic was so bad, and we had a chance to visit with family instead so chose not to go. Would only be interested if she got into honors college. Will have to research more based on these visits to see if we can determine if it would even be a good fit or not, based on how big a university it is. Prefer location to UNC as closer to family in NE, and the opportunities that DC offers. Also most expensive college on list, and would have to receive merit to even consider.

Re #3924 College consortiums are generally touted as positive and collaborative aspects of a college. At Amherst and UMass Amherst the concept was spoken about at length during admissions sessions and pitched as a positive for all schools involved. I think HC is smart to discuss the Worcester consortium of colleges ( HC,WPI, Clark, Assumption and others) in the info session. We found it a big plus on top of a outstanding tour of the college. The libraries of HC, Clark and others are also part of college inter library loan system.

@OCDaddy have you categorized CWRU and Lafayette as safeties (at least for high stat kids)? Just trying to clarify.

:wink: There are no safeties.

Elon. D thought it was filled with rich, white kids - just like her HS which she is trying to avoid.

@labegg My son did. CWRU wasn’t even on his list but they offered him a free application with no supplemental info required so it took a few seconds of work to add them on the Common App and they ended up offering him an extremely generous merit scholarship he didn’t have to apply for. Similarly, Lafayette offered great merit aid. We didn’t know either merit scholarship existed until the offer came with the admission offer. He realized neither was a guaranteed admission safety and he might get hurt by yield protection but he was applying to 3 and counted on the odds of at least one panning out. All worked out.

Rising Junior here, I thought I might as well post.

Crossed Off:

F&M- I felt like F&M was just dull and didn’t spark any interest. It’s the right size and academics for me, as well as lacrosse which I wish to play in college, but lacked any charm for me. The tour group was too small, it was my family and me and just one other family by the end of it. It also didn’t help when a student whispered to my family and me to “not come here”.

Union- The tour guide mentioned engineering and hockey more than anything, which I was not a fan of. The town of Schenectady as well is not a charming city, and I was not interested at all by the end of the tour.

Not Sure:

Bowdoin- Fantastic school, beautiful campus, I have family who went there, but feels just too elitist. I come from a middle class so the amount of wealth present was shocking, but not off-putting considering most elite LACs are somewhat like that. Also, my family often vacations not too far from Bowdoin, so I’m not sure the idea of going to college the same place I vacation at would ruin the fun of future vacations.

Moved Up:

Bucknell- Our tour guide was incredibly honest, down to earth and seemed like a typical student, which is refreshing from seeing peppy tour guides who seem to be in 20 extracurriculars, two club sports, and speaks three languages. Campus was beautiful, academics are exactly what I want (Some sort of economics/IR programs), and it seems like a fun, work hard-play hard atmosphere.

Colgate- Beautiful campus, wonderful academics, and a surprisingly quaint and lovely small town. Despite not feeling well during the info session and tour, I pushed through and I’m glad I did. It has a very athletic, outdoorsy vibe, and any school that gives you a Cookiewich at the end of the tour is guarantee favorite!
:smiley:

@Rudiger1 -

Hilarious.
And everyone I know who toured there mentioned the Cookiewich as well! It is a big hit.

@TheGreyKing Hahah, it’s a little thing, but it was a hot day and vanilla ice cream put in between two chocolate chip cookies was the icing on the cake.

Has anyone visited Emory recently and have any thoughts? I’ve read some things that I don’t like about it but have never been.

@Rudiger1 Interesting comment about the wealth you saw at Bowdoin. Did you see that at Bucknell? We have visited and liked both schools, but definitely felt a ‘country club’ vibe at Bucknell.