Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

U Rochester - eliminated

S23 had high hopes for the university after hearing and reading great things about their engineering programs. Unfortunately, he quickly eliminated it after the general campus tour based on two comments from the guide:

1. “Don’t worry about the snow belt location. We won’t be touring it, but there’s a great tunnel system we use for those weeks when the temps are double digits below.”
  2. “There really aren’t many buildings with A/C because it’s never really needed. Even in the summer it’s rarely hot enough to feel like you need air conditioning.”

That sealed it. I had to drag S23 to the special engineering tour we signed up for in advance because he was 90% sure he didn’t want to apply after the general tour. And this isn’t a kid from a warm climate; we live in Massachusetts and he loves to ski. Only a couple universities on his list are in warmer-weather states and he thinks upstate NY is generally fine (D20 is at Hamilton). But the tour guide presented the university as being in its own special frigid zone and he couldn’t get past it.

9 Likes

My daughter visited U of Rochester this past weekend. She too was not impressed. I think its coming off the list. Her overall description was “its just MEH”.

5 Likes

I thought I’d give some Southern school impressions by my D23 and D24 (who mostly was just tagging along with big sister but then realized – oh… I’m going to be going through this soon…)

Clemson – UP (for both) – D23 picked this for her reasons (she wants a big Southern football school) but we were all charmed by the size and feel of the campus. Nothing was too overwhelming, there was a good mix of new dorms/ buildings with the traditional ones. We liked the mix of students, the quaint small town and the nearby lake. D24 liked the sound of the engineering program.

UGA – DOWN (for all) – We had mixed feelings about Athens and the campus. D24 haaated the “big hill.” D23 was turned off by some things the tour guide talked about. The guide was an Athens native and her experience was not at all what an OOS student’s would be. They glossed over the freshman dorm experience and she seemed sort of shallow. D23 also wasn’t sure about sorority rush on a busy street with dentist and lawyer offices between the sorority houses. The homeless people we saw made Athens feel like more of a big city than we thought it would be which was confusing to D23, who thought we were going to a smaller college town, but she loved the football stadium and thought the campus was pretty. I felt the university was very “corporate” and insular to Georgians and worried how my Texan kids would fit in.

Auburn – SAME/ UP. D23 loved the feel of the campus, laid back yet traditional. She felt safe in the town and liked the sorority dorms. D24 liked that it felt laid back and Auburn is on a short list of schools that have a major she wants so it’s going to be on her list as well.

Emory – DOWN. While in Atlanta, we visited. D23 wasn’t feeling it at all. Again, the child knows what she wants. It was too small, not sporty. D24 thought she’d fit in with the students, but it’s not going to be an academic match for her.

Texas A&M – UP. In full disclosure, we are an Aggie family. D23 & D24 would be fourth generation Aggies, if they attend. They’ve been to games, march ins, camps, etc. They know/ are related to professors and Fish Camp namesakes. Only D23 went on this tour (I’ll take D24 next spring) and I was shocked that A&M went UP for her. She told me she had only seen A&M through her parents’/ grandparents’ eyes all these years and that a college visit while school was in session made her see that she would fit in there as a student. She’s also very interested in the Bush School. As she is auto-admit, I was glad to see what’s basically her safety school go UP for her.

University of New Mexico – DOWN/ UP We added this onto a family trip, for a little variety. It is not on D23’s list, but we knew that they hand out good merit to OOS students. D23 thought the mascot was cool but really wanted no part of the college. She wants a totally traditional southern football experience and this is not that. D24 might actually be interested in it, because there seemed to be a good mix between arts and sciences there for a state flagship, something that doesn’t always go together, and she would like cooler weather. We thought the campus was fine, we love New Mexico but have a few concerns about safety, given what our tour guide said.

TCU – UP. Another visit with just D23. She liked the idea of TCU and we’ve visited Fort Worth before from Dallas but the tour really won her over. Our guide was a very talkative, cute young man who somehow stretched our tour way longer than it should be. The student body president was friendly to us, the campus felt like a country club for college kids and D23 really loves the idea of being close-ish to home with all the big football school atmosphere. One con – she didn’t like hearing that such a big percentage of the students are now from California, worried that the “Southern” aspect of the school was going to be diluted. Also – we’re going to need significant merit for that fancy country club experience.

D23 has more SEC schools on her apply list, but we’re going to wait to see how things shake out this fall to decide if/ where we’re going to visit. As much as she wants that “traditional Southern school” we’re also a fairly progressive family, so she’s weighing more than she thought she would when this all started, given the state of politics. D24 will tag along to those and then she and I will be headed to the Midwest/ Utah/ CO for her tours. I’ll update on all those when we get there!

18 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-Topic Discussion from “Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting”

Just a plug for Auburn - we are from Texas but live in Georgia now and our son went to both undergrad and grad school at Auburn. We are a center left leaning family and so is my son - the student body is not quite as conservative as some make it sound and regardless, everyone is pretty respectful of other viewpoints. It’s a very friendly and happy campus. War Eagle. My brothers an Aggie so I guess I need to say “Gig’em” as well.

4 Likes

(On a 8 college New England trip with my twins D23/S23)
Boston College: S23 Same
Didn’t help that it was 95 degrees and there was construction all over campus…but the info session he liked a lot. More about vibe and fit than nuts and bolts, which after so many college tours was pretty welcome. 4 students in the panel discussion seemed smart and interesting. The tour was abysmal though as was our tour guide. She was inarticulate, unorganized, didn’t seem very smart, and then took us literally no where. We stood around in the heat at 3-4 random places on campus and listened to her ramble on about nothing while trying to hear her over the bull dozers. We didn’t see anything of campus. No library, rec center, student center, chapel, dorm, dining hall— literally nothing. Worst tour we’ve ever been on. Somehow S23 is still interested based on the info session and online research. If we’d flown from CA just for this tour we’d be pretty pissed.

Boston University: D23 SAME:
Decent info session though it seemed rushed and the student there seemed to know more than the admissions office staffer. The answer to “tell us more about the Honors College” should not be “Oh, it’s where people love to talk about astrophysics on a Friday night.” Very poor response. Anyway, the tour guide was very good and covered a lot of ground physically and verbally. Then we went over to COM and though directed by the COM office via email there to get a “self guided tour pamphlet” apparently no such thing exists. We were fortunate to find a student wiling to chat us up about COM. Very robust program. Main concern is the lack of school identity and community.

7 Likes

We had a similar BC visit experience last fall. Saw literally nothing and since we flew in from OH, I was pretty annoyed. I was blaming it on Covid restrictions, but sounds like it might be typical?

2 Likes

Yes, we definitely felt like she would not be out of place at Auburn. It’s really more the laws of the surrounding state/ how far she would have to go if she or a friend needed medical care. Even though Texas is not different, here she has community and family that she could rely on. It’s a serious consideration for all young people right now.

20 Likes

My D did a tour last autumn, and she thought it was a great tour, but she did “Eagle for a Day”, so ate with the guide and attended a theology class, which she found surprisingly interesting…

2 Likes

We did a whirlwind college road trip last summer with my D22 and did hit some other schools here and there along the way. Here are some highlights - all told, we probably visited about 25 campuses. She did not apply to every school we visited and we did not visit every school she applied to. In the end the school she chose was a school we did not visit until admitted student day. :slight_smile:

Swarthmore - Way up - It was the admissions materials and the emails that made my daughter apply at the last minute (last day to apply). On our whirlwind, 20 state college road trip last summer we didn’t make it to Swarthmore because we ran out of daylight, although it was probably 15 minutes away. (We hit UPenn, Bryn Mawr, Haverford and Villanova - and she ended up applying to only one) She hadn’t been paying much attention to Swarthmore, but I was talking to her about needing to look at some other schools, possibly some LACs before the deadlines closed. So, she started looking at all the material she had received from Swarthmore and Haverford. The material from Swarthmore was so different from everybody else, the mailings were quirky and fun, so she applied. Not only did she apply, but it was probably the quickest essays she wrote. She had more fun with the application and felt like she was more herself in the essays she wrote for Swarthmore than any other school and sort of wished she could start the admission process over with this new mind set. She took her queue from their marketing and thought that they were her best essays and she wished she had kind of used a similar approach with other schools. We happened to be sort of in the area in late February, so we visited - it was freezing cold and we did a self-tour, but the people we encountered were friendly (including a random family we spoke to who were also self-touring and turned out to be from our town, 1500 miles away) and she really liked the campus, it is beautiful, and the town and the proximity to Philly. At this point, although admissions deadlines for everybody she applied to were past, it moved way up her list. She was accepted in mid-March. Unfortunately, they blew it in the end with the second visit - they couldn’t get us into the only Swatstruck day she could travel to because it was ‘full’. They said we could come up for a regular tour. Made it sound like they would have something set up for admitted students at the tour, even a 30-minute session, or something. But they didn’t, just dumped us and one or two other accepted families in with a bunch of people who were thinking about applying next fall. There was a very good info session for people who were considering Swarthmore, but then the tour guide my D selected out of the handful based on his major had clearly just rolled out of bed and was not a very good guide. We did have an excellent tour of a particular department later that my D set up on her own, but it was too little to sell my D22… probably finished 3rd.

Duke - way way up - On our big multi-state college tour - Duke was supposed to be sort of on the front end but got moved to our last stop. By the time we got towards the end of our trip, we were exhausted and the person who was going to give us a tour cancelled. So, we diverted before we ever got to North Carolina because it wasn’t really on my Ds radar anyway. Never saw the campus before applying, I convinced her to apply because there are some particular unique quality options for a minor or double major available for her that I thought she would like if she decided to pursue it that she might not have at other schools and thought she should at least consider it. She barely got in the application by the deadline for interviews - which I think was in mid to late December. Ended up being her last interview I think, in mid-February and her favorite interview by far, which moved it way up her list. When we finally made it to campus, it was as an accepted student on a Blue Devil Day and I guess it was a completely different experience to what several here seemed to have - weather was perfect, campus was beautiful, and they did everything right. They sold the school to the student and the family over and over again. Also noted on the Blue Devil Day sign ups (in contrast to Swarthmore) that it said if they were full to contact the admissions office and they would get you into one. After finally touring Duke after her acceptance, it shot to the top of her list of schools she had been accepted to. She fell in love with the campus and the area and the way they broke up admitted student day, the students were separated from the parents and making friends and having a good time. (From my personal viewpoint, the campus is beautiful but unnecessarily enormous for the relatively small student body and I don’t like that the freshman live on a separate campus and buses are required to get to/from.)

NYU - Down - still loved NYC and still applied, but after visiting campuses like Hopkins and Vanderbilt and Washington & Lee (tour of opportunity - it was right there a couple miles out of our route, Virginia Tech was too, but she had no desire to stop) and even Columbia it no longer held the same appeal for her. So, it definitely moved down the list. Was accepted and was in the mix at the end, top 6.

Johns Hopkins - moved down the list a little after visiting - because of Baltimore, not because of the campus. On subsequent visit, moved up the list again. After acceptance they also did a bad job with restricting their accepted student day numbers because of Covid. They did a better job of separating accepted students at the normal tour we had to attend for our 3rd visit instead of the accepted student day, actually gave her a swag bag. Separate meeting and tour for accepted students, but not the full accepted student event (Blue Jay Day). But then there was still Baltimore… also what hurt was lack of housing for juniors and seniors. In other towns, cities I would be ok if she wants to move off campus junior or senior year, but not so sure about Baltimore, and you don’t have an option. If 4 years housing was guaranteed, I would have pushed harder for Hopkins. But on that 3rd visit, the info session was excellent, and the tour was also excellent. Wished we could have seen a dorm room. After just being blown away by Duke and disappointed by the Swarthmore tour, prompting her to eliminate Swarthmore, we spent a day and half in Baltimore before the Hopkins tour, and she was ready to leave without doing the visit. However, once on the tour I could see she was completely torn. The campus is beautiful and the students they chose for the information session for the admitted students and the tour were all perfect choices, they were extremely articulate and highly motivated with multiple majors, and they made my daughter want to go there. So, it moved back up the list and ultimately finished 2nd I think.

Boston U - Up - liked the campus but loved Boston and really liked the programs BU offered, was in the final mix top 6.

Northeastern - stayed the same - liked the campus, didn’t like the info sessions, tour was ok, had a better tour night before with friend. Info session was like sales pitch, but not one you wanted to be at. (Note: I realize all info sessions are sales pitches, but some schools make it seem like a used car sales pitch and you feel the need to bathe, and other schools make you really want to go there). Ended up not applying.

Washington & Lee - self tour - got on the list so I guess Up, just because the campus was nice, and the town was nice. Ended up applying and it was one of her favorite interviews. She was accepted but it had too many strong contenders.

UVA - off the list - visited campus after deciding we weren’t driving through North Carolina on our big college road trip. Liked the campus, thought it was beautiful, but it didn’t impress her enough to apply.

Pace University - off the list - this school probably seems out of place, but there is a reason for it to be on the list, and absolutely the best tour we had of any campus during our multi state tour. (Granted of the 20+ campuses we visited, only had official tours at about 7 or 8.) However, the tour convinced her that she was definitely not going to apply there.

Tulane - off the list - wasn’t really on her list to begin with, but there seemed to be some good things about the programs, and it was a good first night stopping point and they were offering actual tours. To say she hated it would be an understatement. She hated the campus, hated the city. The information sessions were again, kind of like bad sales pitches. The tour was terrible, absolute worst of the official tours, (although I think the best free swag) she couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Did not apply. Campus did not seem well maintained at all, everything overgrown, buildings in disrepair, which made me wonder what they did with that $83,000 a year.

MIT - off the list - was never really on the list, but we were in the area so we self-toured MIT. Did nothing for her. Touring campus didn’t get it onto the list and did not apply. Didn’t like the campus and didn’t change her lack of desire to apply to MIT.

We were supposed to go to some more admitted student days, but we were exhausted, and we had no time. Had signed up for two on the same day thinking we would decide on one, in the end we cancelled both because she decided she didn’t want to see anything else. So, we never got to tour Emory or Northwestern. The other ones, we figured we had been to campus already or she had already decided no. Never even made it to the closest school she was accepted to, because we always figured we could hit it any weekend, but we never found time - UT Austin.

10 Likes

So where did she go?

9 Likes

Oh, I guess I said it moved to the top but didn’t say she chose it. Duke

I forgot to mention

Bryn Mawr - off the list - she absolutely loved the beautiful campus. I had been there before and had thought it had become co-ed in the late 90s. Quick google search while we were walking around revealed it was still a women’s college at least at the undergrad level. At which point she said, beautiful campus, I love it, but I don’t want to go to an all-women’s college, we can leave now. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Go Blue Devils! It’s my alma mater. I lived on East Campus freshmen year and bus was no big deal. I kind of liked being able to escape West campus that first year. D22 didn’t apply as didn’t have her major. Think it may be a good fit for D24 but we’ll have to see how Junior year goes and what she thinks when we visit.

1 Like

We had the same experience at UT Austin and Texas A&M. UT Austin moved down and off the list and she did not apply. Texas A&M went to the top of the list: she applied, was accepted with merit scholarships, and is starting in the fall. :grinning: Where did yours end up accepting?

3 Likes

College of the Holy Cross: WAY UP
The pictures online do not do this campus justice. The hillside location with views, the leafy manicured landscaping, and ivy covered buildings were all just stunning. This is smallest info session and tour we’ve been on with these two kids. The info session was brief and highlighted the unique offerings of the school (language programs/study abroad, the Monserrat Freshman program, the undergrad focus, and the right mix of Jesuit intellectual pursuits with career prep.) The tour was thorough though the guide was a little sleepy/boring. It was really really hot so I think everyone wanted it to just be over anyway. She did cover everything and we saw inside many key buildings. Only downside was appalling freshman dorms. But they get better after first year and most schools don’t show you dorms, so maybe they suck everywhere? S23 now has it ranked above several more “prestigious” schools on his list.

Dartmouth: SAME (e.g. still #1)
Another way too hot day for college touring but Dartmouth made it worth our while. Our guide was friendly and smart but did not come across as a huge over-scheduled overachiever like at the other elite schools we’ve visited. The campus feels almost southern architecturally and wasn’t as manicured as some though still beautiful and historical. The interior spaces varied from contemporary to ultra old and traditional. Everthing about the vibe screamed traditional American college— as in old-school and steeped in tradition and not trying hard (at all) to be woke and modern. It was kinda refreshing to just hear about academics and sports instead of social justice for once. Frat row homes were amazing and the school has 60% Greek participation. Obviously not for everyone but a great fit for my S.

16 Likes

Curious why you say it was the best tour of any campus and then that the tour convinced you not to apply?

3 Likes

I’m a little nervous because we just did a casual stop at Dartmouth on a recent vacation and D25 thought it was too big. lol

3 Likes

You can skip UT- Austin and NC State then :slight_smile: - lol

4 Likes

Same here. Can you share why it was crossed off the list?

The tour was good because it was one of the few tours where we were allowed in buildings, and they even took us into some of the departments and showed us the dining hall and various other facilities and the tour guides were friendly and informative. Also, after the tour was over, we stuck around and asked one of the admissions counselors about a specific program and they went and found another student who took us on another tour in another building which was several blocks away. We went floor by floor through the building and went into some of the rooms and he talked about each floor and what departments were on that floor and what each room was used for. He was extremely friendly and very informative.

Why would we cross it off the list? The flip side was, there wasn’t really much of a campus at all, it was really only a handful of buildings spread out around lower Manhattan. I think housing was only guaranteed for 1 year. However, the best part of the tour, for that particular program that we had the second tour would have been an option for a very different degree or potential dual degree, and as good as the tour guide was, he couldn’t make the facilities he was showing look better than they were. It was still early on and she had not 100% decided on a degree path yet. If she decided that she didn’t want to pursue that degree and wanted to switch they didn’t really have the right majors she was interested in.

9 Likes