Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

We toured Syracuse over the summer. My number one piece of advice for families flying in/staying overnight in Syracuse and booking accommodations ahead of time? The Sheraton is across the street from the campus. By the way, of all of the schools that we’ve visited/official tour, Syracuse treated the families best. Student tour guides are generally hit/miss and we try not to judge too much of the experience based primarily on the volunteer tour guides, but man, the school goes all out, especially on Orange days. Light breakfast foods, juice, donuts, candy, ice cream, top-notch opening presentation before passing you along to specific “school of” tours. An excellent experience.

11 Likes

The William and Mary comment is almost exactly what my daughter said! I was so bummed because I thought it would be such a good fit for her. We toured on a Monday and so many restaurants were closed and a huge tour bus of 70+ individuals unloading in front of her did not help either. Oh well…

We recently toured UCONN-Storrs with my senior daughter.

My daughter has been fairly consistent in saying that she wants to attend a school in or at least right outside of a major urban area - New York, Philly, Boston (we’re from outside of NYC). In addition, my wife and I were thinking that a smaller liberal arts school might be best for her.

Despite this, we decided to visit UCONN, just to give her an idea of what a big, state school might be like. She wasn’t too enthusiastic about going, and when we drove on campus she made a comment (and not in a complimentary way) along the lines of “geez, this place is huge”.

Well, fast forward an hour or so, after the information session and halfway through the tour, and she loved it! She loved the campus, was very keen on the opportunities there (both academic and otherwise) and I think (and this is key for all of our students) could simply see herself being there next year. So, it’s now on her short list.

As an aside (and I told her this) I was very proud that she kept an open mind.

35 Likes

I did my PhD work at UCONN from 96 - 02. I loved the campus then, and it’s far better now than it was back then. My only point on the negative side I’d note is that the campus is a bit isolated, and feels like it is this huge sprawling campus in the middle of the woods. The closest town is south of it, Willimantic (lived there) which is okay, but nothing special, and Hartford is 30 minutes away by car. Since I’ve been there, they’ve developed Storrs quite a bit, so I don’t think students feel like they have to leave campus. Overall, it’s a great school, and a massive campus. The isolation of it in NE Conn is the only negative to keep in mind. May not be a negative for your kiddo, though.

6 Likes

We toured UCONN a few weeks ago. Going in the school was a favorite. The campus IS beautiful. But our D23 found it too isolated - too in the middle of the woods. Also, the vibe of the students didn’t click for her and she was there all day for an open house. She said the vibe felt intense and less friendly to her. Also she is interested in greek life and was told that it wasn’t super active there.

She still applied since it’s a great school and ticks a lot of boxes. If she gets admitted she’ll cross that bridge then.

4 Likes

Off:
UGA. It’s my alma mater, so my son had a passing familiarity with it. He really loved Athens (chill vibe, great restaurants and music scene), and liked North Campus (the oldest part with the prettiest buildings). Less enthused about how spread out the campus is. Part of the tour is done from the student bus because there’s just no way you can do a walking tour from one end to the other, especially when you add in the steep hills. The admissions presentation was informative but a bit intense (subtext: “you’re not getting in if you don’t step it up”). We were paired with a fabulous guide, though, who spent a little time one on one with each student as we went and did a great job calling out what makes UGA special.

We toured the business school before the overall campus. Both of us were impressed with its new building complex and programming, but he had been torn between business or engineering and decided the latter is where his heart lies. That was the biggest reason it came off the list; the engineering program is still very young and he didn’t feel it justified OOS tuition. Back when I was there no one even mentioned UGA and engineering in the same breath, as the assumption was if you wanted that you’d just go to GA Tech.

Same/up:
Auburn. In-state for us. He loved the cohesive feel of the campus and the fact that it’s so walkable. The engineering facilities and program are excellent and he was enthusiastic about the honors program after we met with one of their student representatives. School spirit is off the charts — friends would call out “War Eagle” to our guide as they passed, and an Auburn grad I know assured me that no one tells them to do that; it just happens. Admissions presentation was casual but very helpful. Auburn is probably #1 on his list at this point.

Yet to tour: UVA, VA Tech, UNC, others still undetermined.

11 Likes

My son immediately crossed UGA off his list because of the size/sprawl of the campus. I loved the place and kept my mouth shut! He knew immediately that it was not for him — which was such a great thing as up until that time he just kept saying he liked every place he visited. We needed him to start crossing places off the list and narrow things down. He’s still got some pretty large colleges on his list — but I think the campuses felt more manageable and more cohesive.

Now, if I could go back to college again — I’d be in Georgia!

6 Likes

DS23 crossed Michigan Tech off his list because it’s so difficult to get to. He really loved the thought of the school (we didn’t visit) but with a few other great options, the travel really played into the decision. Now, he’s found out that he is a finalist for a full scholarship so perhaps it is back on the list? The only problem is we need to decide if we will travel for the finalist interview. It will be over about 2K in travel.

5 Likes

My son was the same way. He really wanted to like it going in and was disappointed he didn’t due to the size and layout. Was very impressed with th3 business school though and we had great guides at each. Very tough decision not to apply.

4 Likes

We had a similar experience. D22 was applying to mostly large publics and liked that students tend to live on campus at UConn beyond the first or second year. She liked campus and the tour was great (though it was summer so hard to get a student vibe). It slowly dropped down on her list over time, mostly due to the isolation (plus weather & distance from home). Ironically, she ended up at another rural school - Virginia Tech. But she’s outdoorsy and appreciates the opportunities there for hiking, Blacksburg as a town seems a little more built out than Storrs, and it’s closer to home. She did apply to UConn though - got into Honors and offered $23K/year in merit!

3 Likes

The sales pitch should be an accurate reflection of the Vanderbilt vibe and campus regardless of your prospect audience. We were in Nashville last week during Thanksgiving break visiting my in-laws that moved to TN earlier in the year from Los Angeles. My son still didn’t care to give it a second look while we were in the area. Curious to know what the real vibe of Vandy is? Maybe he’ll give it another look for grad school in several years.

We saw Lehigh in the summer too and thought the campus was beautiful, DS was fine with the stairs and actually kind of liked Bethlehem (although we were with a family member who is an alum and has done amazing things). He doesn’t want a big greek scene though and ultimately probably too far from home in Oregon for him but we hope to go for an official tour at some point.

4 Likes

I love reading these, so I decided to write one of my own.

Our last child (of 3) is applying to college next year and between the 3, we have been on 15 tours (so far)! I enjoy them (yes, even the bad ones). Hot tip: always ask to see the library.

Mount Allison University, Sackville, New Brunswick (Our grand tour of Canadian colleges) - This town and campus were beyond quiet when we visited. I did not think it would matter much, but it did. Our tour guide was knowledgeable about the school and classes, and also down-to-earth. She told us how cold and windy it can get in winter (brrrrrr). They have a strong arts program which was a plus for my child. I really liked this school. My child, however, did not due to the tumbleweed feel. Out of the running.

St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia - Another small Canadian college town. Tour not very memorable, except for the library; if I remember correctly - it has a secret passageway and a stunning view. This school had more of a religious feel to it than other schools we visited, so if Roman Catholicism is not your jam, reconsider visiting? This school has a strong arts program. We both liked it. In.

Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia - We both liked Halifax and this school a lot. This university felt nearly perfect with a mix of old and updated buildings, a bustling research scene, and engaged students (summer classes must have been in session). The downside: Child would have had to take art classes at a separate campus (NSCAD). Out of the running.

University of King’s College, Halifax - I thoroughly enjoyed visiting this school and participating in the tour. The humanities focus is strong here, and the Foundation Year Program sounded helpful for first-year college students. The library is stunning and the guide was patient with my questions about it. The school has about 950 students which felt too small for my child. Once she heard the part about occasionally wearing dress robes (like Harry Potter), she was out.

Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia - I noticed a lot of birds and cows in Wolfville. From the get-go, my daughter was not interested in touring this school, but we persevered (this was the last school on our grand tour of Canadian schools). It seemed similar, in a lot of ways, to the other small, Canadian schools that we visited. Art classes offered. Child said no way after the tour. Out of the running.

UMASS Amherst, Amherst, MA (twice) - This school offers something for all types of students. I have tried to sell this school (in hindsight this was a stupid idea) to all of my children. It is a public university with interesting research engagements located in a beautiful part of Massachusetts. Due to its large size, the school can offer specialized living situations (dorm floors grouped by course of study, for example), and an abundance of unique classes. Furthermore, students have the opportunity to take courses at other schools located in the area (see Five College Consortium). Our tours varied greatly. 1 was in the fall on the same day as a home football game; my daughter appreciated the fall colors, but not the football crowds. Our 2nd tour with our second child was on a dreary, overcast March day. Our first tour guide was clearly tired of giving tours. Our second tour guide had never given a tour before; they were definitely nervous and afraid of saying the wrong thing. I remain a little hopeful (but not a lot hopeful) that my last child will choose this school. Child 1 said no way, child 2 said - it’s too big and I can’t see myself here. Until child 3 chooses a school, this school will be in the running.

Skidmore, Saratoga Springs, NY - I told my child that I doubted that we would see a live horse. As soon as we pulled up to campus, we saw a live horse. Great arts program; art in every building. No - because of horses.

Wheaton College, Norton, MA - The Mars/M&M game is strong here. This school had an easy-going vibe (maybe too easy going?). I liked this school, but wondered about its location (not much going on in Norton). My daughter loved this school and its silly traditions and ended up applying.

Salem State University, Salem, MA - This is hands down the best value school on the list. Should we really be spending as much as we are for college? I’ve both toured the school and taken classes here. RECOMMEND. Child not interested.

MassArt, Boston, MA - The information session (plus tour) at MassArt was one of the best I have attended. Even our 13-year-old, tagging along, enjoyed this tour. The thing I liked best about MassArt was seeing students in action. The campus felt alive with activity. The number of offerings/buildings dedicated to all kinds of art (printmaking, photography, fiber arts, ceramics, welding, etc) is impressive. Our child ended up attending MassArt for one semester (Covid struck mid year). In the end, she decided that neither college nor art school were for her. We supported her in her decision to leave and she is currently working and has her own apartment.

Round two is shorter, I promise. Dartmouth, McGill, Tufts, BC

34 Likes

This is why I keep coming back to this thread. :smile:

38 Likes

Same! And lest we not forget…somewhere above in the 6,000+ posts is the story of the student who saw deer on Lehigh’s campus and immediately struck the school off the list :joy: :deer:

13 Likes

I’d pay extra for horses and deer!:racehorse: :deer:

22 Likes

Oh, wow! We saw a deer on our tour of Lehigh and that was something that we found so appealing. lol

3 Likes

Don’t forget to add to my favorite all time thread - stupid reasons kids took colleges off their lists. (My favorites - the doors looked too heavy or the sidewalks were too wide).

17 Likes

We had a school that almost fell off the list due to turkeys. “How can I go to school with evil demon dinosaurs?” Kid applied, was accepted, and did not attend.

10 Likes

Yes, I miss that thread.

3 Likes