Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

College visit #2: DUKE – WAAY UP
I mean, what’s not to like? There were 4 things that really captured D24’s interest. (1) The beautiful garden on campus. She keeps mentioning how lovely it was and a highlight of the campus. Very confusing to me bc she has literally never shown the slightest interest in gardens/nature.
(2) THE FOOD. Duke really knows the power of food and the power of food smells during an 11am tour. It was one of the only tours that traipsed us all through the food court. And OMG it was amazing. Food is the way to D24’s heart and she was smitten.
(3) The guide’s description of camping out for basketball tickets. She made it sound super fun and spirited. Pretty confident my D24 has never watched a basketball game in her life, either on TV or in person. So again, this newfound love of basketball was a surprise.
(4) The guide herself was just lovely and my D24 really liked her.
After the tour, Duke shot to the top of her list.
Now, 16 months later, her interest has been tempered by the (relatively) large Greek system, the fact that the freshmen dorms are so far away, and that it requires a flight to get there.
Also, now that she has visited more campuses, she dislikes that Duke is not really in a college town, where you can walk from class to an off-campus boba shop, e.g. It’s more off by itself.
Still going to apply though!

15 Likes

Colleges visits #3 & #4: Brown and Dartmouth

BROWN: SHOT TO THE TOP OF HER LIST. UP UP UP
Brown was the first Ivy we toured and D24 loved everything about it (a theme here). The difference with Brown is that now, 16 months later, it remains her favorite school visited.
So many things she liked: Proximity to city (easy walking), yet still set apart on the hill. The main quad. The night before the tour, we walked around (around 9 or 10pm), and just sat in the lawn chairs enjoying the vibe for about an hour or so. Really magical in the evening. She liked the people – it’s a cliche about Brown but the students coming out of lecture halls all seemed happy and chatting with one another. From appearance only, D24 thought they seemed like “her people.” D24 thought the tour guide was superb (I have no memory of her and did not think the tour was anything special). D24 really likes the open curriculum, ability to take classes pass/fail, and the comparatively less stressful vibe.
The tour did not go into any buildings and I was disappointed that there was no initial presentation before the tour. I think they can be really helpful. But D24 didn’t miss it.

DARTMOUTH: SAME
This was a bit of a surprise, because this is the one school D24 liked, but didn’t rave about. OTOH, my husband and I loved it. It just didn’t capture my daughter’s imagination like Brown did.
I think she was put off by how non-diverse the tour was. Like, the previous tours were extremely diverse. The people on the Dartmouth tour were overwhelmingly white and preppy. Maybe just the day? Also, when the guide said 80% of the students were in the Greek system, I think that alarmed her. I think the campus architecture also didn’t speak to her.
She liked Dartmouth, and left thinking she would apply, but it didn’t rise or fall on her list.

14 Likes

My S24 liked Brown a lot more than Dartmouth after visiting (there is a report to that effect somewhere above). Other people will likely reverse that, but I think those two colleges in particular often aptly demonstrate how the subjective response when visiting can be very different for different people.

4 Likes

College Visit #5:
U PENN: slightly down

This was a fine visit (Fall of Junior yr), but D24 had multiple senior friends who were EDing to Penn and raved to her about the school. She had very high expectations. When we visited, it was a bit of a letdown for her – but it’s still on her list. She didn’t say anything specific about why, but I’m pretty sure I know why.
It was rainy and cold. There was a ton of street noise on campus. The guide/tour was forgettable.
Although I lived in Philly for 3 years, I had never been to Penn. I really didn’t like it, but didn’t express that to D24. The presentation in the auditorium was laughably awful. And I couldn’t get over how loud the campus was – horns honking, nearby construction work. Not an oasis within a city (like Chicago or Columbia) IMO.
It remains on D24’s list – but I’m not sure why. She says “I liked it!” but has never mentioned anything specific she likes. I think the fact that so many of her peers are big Penn fans is affecting her.

5 Likes

College Visit #6:
COLUMBIA: UP

My daughter knows a lot of Columbia kids. For whatever reason, she has many friends whose siblings went to/currently go to Columbia. As a result, she had this false idea that “everyone goes there” (ummm no) and, therefore, it wasn’t special. It’s also the closest of all potential colleges to our home. So she had a preconceived idea that it wasn’t the place for her.
However, she really liked it once she visited. It was a beautiful Fall day and the central lawn was glorious. Lots of kids hanging out, a very bustling feeling. It’s still not high on her list, but she gets why it’s a very special place.
We have a lot of family connections to Columbia, so it’s possible she could get admitted. But she doesn’t really “see herself” there. That said, she liked many things about it.
At this point in our touring, it became clear that one thing that she really wants is a place where kids live on campus for all four years (preferably), or at least three. Columbia fit that (unlike Penn).

6 Likes

What did you think of the Vanderbilt campus overall particularly the massive new residential complex on West End Ave? No need to mention the football stadium…it’s the worst in all of college football…

There is a lot of construction that I assume is the new residential complex.

Vanderbilt’s campus and surroundings has a good vibe. We stayed at the Homewood Suites right across from campus. The park is really nice and we took a tour of the life size Parthenon replica. It was very interesting.

We went a day early (before the open house) so we can really spend some time on campus. The buildings are not available unless you were a student so we couldnt see inside much. The campus had tons of trees as they are a designated arboretum and it’s really spread out.

We did sneak into the Calhoun economics building which was a huge disappointment. It just felt like an afterthought which is interesting, especially since economics is listed as one of their more popular majors.

It was unimpressive. My impression is Vanderbilt is not really known for econ.

Since my D is interested in IB/Consulting, one of the reps at the Q&A fair mentioned 2 common tracks. One is economics with a business minor. The other is human organziation and development?

The overall event was so generic. Since we visited in October, at this point there are probably 2 types of students visiting: One is the local candidate who is visiting all the area schools. The second is the student who is down to the wire on college visits and have probably been to multiple places. If you’re in the latter group, nothing in the tour/open house had a wow factor. Maybe it wouldve been different if we could have actually gone inside some of the buildings/dorms/cafeterias, etc

To paraphrase my daughter: They want us to describe our unique qualities when we apply and yet they couldnt articulate what was unique about them.

8 Likes

Crossed off - Rutgers (disrespectful and unengaged) Brandeis (not the right programs, location is under loved) William & Mary (good exchange program, but just too hot and buggy), Northeastern (Admissions scam that if you check the box that you would accept non-boston locations they send you off to some warehouse in London by the River, or other) Rochester - located in a bend in the river next to an airport, no mountains, cold and snow), Brown (every alum we met from there is just so absorbed by the fact that they went to brown - program limitations)
Moved down - BU (stuck between two highways and a river), Marist (highway through the middle of it, Violent Crime rate in the town), Dartmouth (pressure cooker feedback from students) UVM honors college (Spike in violent crime in Burlington, lack of housing)
Moved Up - UMass Amherst Commonwealth Honors College (5% acceptance rate, but Tier 1 research university, Program based, newer air conditioned dorms in the middle of campus, ability to pursue additional level of challenge and research)

9 Likes

My dd is a junior at Vanderbilt, and she absolutely loves it, but I understand your impression. We had a similar impression to what you found at Vandy on our visit to Northwestern (which is a very similar school in many ways) What my dd found to be special about Vandy is the upbeat mood - Students are happy and create a good work-play balance, without the pressure to be super busy, or super competitive with academics, although overall students are serious about their studies. My daughter is an English, theater and secondary Ed triple major, and she wanted a school that offered an actual double major in English and secondary Ed - not just teacher certification, and so she ruled out many LAC for that reason. She also liked that Greek Life is not overwhelming, the weather is mild, campus is beautiful and Nashville is accessible. That is what differerentiated it from her other very similar options - Northwestern and Wash U.
But, honestly, the biggest tipping point was the finances (She has a full tuition merit scholarship. ) I think she would be happy and have a similar experience at any of those schools

6 Likes

We spent a random free day at Bennington College, and it went UP. (DS 24: artsy kid, wants SLAC with lots of outdoorsy opportunities, loves an open curriculum)

Bennington doesn’t get a lot of posts in this forum, so I thought it would be good to share a recent review. My son attended the Bennington info session at his school and ended being the only one in the room so he had lots of time to learn about the academic structure and walked away feeling intrigued. We followed it up with a tour, lunch in the dining hall (always a favorite on campus visits when available) and attending a 2.5 hour class. I will say that the amount of time the college was willing to grant to a high school senior was impressive.

The campus setting is gorgeous, with mountain views in all directions. A mixture of old farmhouse vibe buildings and mid-century/modern buildings dot the serene hillsides and fields, and classrooms were bright and airy even on a rainy day. The visual and performing arts building is a brutalist fever-dream of winding corridors through active studios, woodshops, theater spaces and costume shops. It was positively thrumming with art and the walls were littered in fluttering flyers for student-led events (an improv group cage match; a student band called Grandpa’s Breath; a “learn to watch hockey” club). Of all the campuses we’ve visited, this one felt the most like art was being made and interrogated every minute of the day.

The on campus cafe is lovely, with an in-house bakery and a no single use packaging philosophy that results in snacks being served in mason jars (adorbs). The dining hall was also very pleasant, with different hot food and salad/protein stations interspersed with bagels, cereal, ice cream and other all-hours options.

Bennington requires each student to complete a Field Work Term each academic year, which is basically a 7 week internship conducted either over the summer or during winter break. There is ample support in helping students identify potential internship sites and the strong alumni network allows for fantastic opportunities, especially in publishing, theater, museum studies and arts administration. At the end of the Field Work Term students write a reflective evaluation of the experience, and the employer also submits an evaluation of how the student performed and grew over the course of the experience. There are no majors/minors at Bennington and students are encouraged to take a variety of classes related to their primary interests. They submit a Plan Essay in sophomore year that discusses the work they’ve done so far, and what classes they would like to take in the future to meet their academic goals in a particular field of study. A committee reviews the essay and approves or denies the Plan. Moving forward, students can refine their Plan as it is further informed by their Field Work Term experiences. Our friend who is a junior is studying Mathematics and Literature, and has recently sold two scripts to a production company in LA that he got connected to during his Field Work Term. He also has a job offer in a writer’s room once he graduates.

In my high school days in the 90s Bennington had a reputation for being astronomically expensive. It is still pretty pricey, but I was interested to hear about the high percentage of students receiving merit and need based awards. As a Vermont resident, Bennington guarantees to meet my child’s demonstrated need with loan-free financial awards. He also earned a 10k/year merit scholarship just for participating in a Governor’s Institute of Vermont summer program. Merit awards range from 5k to 45k, and are stackable with need-based aid.

Kid said the history of global ceramics class that he sat in on was very engaging. The professor is a ceramics artist herself, and the small size of 11 students meant that everyone, including my son, was actively participating throughout.

The student body is only 775 students–which I imagine would be limiting for some. Our friend said that is balanced out by Field Work Term opportunities, and monthly trips to NYC. He said there is always lots happening on campus–so you are never bored, but you might get tired of seeing the same faces at all the events.

22 Likes

Love the “fancy schools” bit. I’m gonna steal that

We had the opposite impressions of UVm and Cornell 5 years ago. UVm was building new buildings and we really liked the tour and info sessions. It went up the list for us. Cornell is Cornell so great if you can get in but we felt the students kept to themselves and were non-social. Almost no one was talking to anyone else. I guess it’s the type A pressure

2 Likes

College Visit #7: Michigan - SLIGHTLY UP

The was the last college visit of the Fall of Junior Yr. We didn’t schedule anything else until Spring because I thought it would be unfair to tour remaining NE schools in the middle of winter.

Michigan is the only truly “big” school D24 toured and is applying to. We went over a football weekend so she could experience the madness of Ann Arbor football Saturdays. We did the “march” into the stadium with the band and sat through the first half of a downpour of a game. It was so cold and wet. But fun!

The tour was good and the only tour (to this day) that showed the inside of a sample dorm room – which was nice. We walked around to see sorority houses, saw a movie, and ate at some great restaurants. She liked how everything is just a stroll away. Overall, she liked what she saw.

However, the tour is kinda misleading. You don’t get any sense of how huge the campus is. The summer before, D24 was at a large research university and she didn’t love how buses were a mainstay of the campus. Michigan, likewise, has dorms that are very far away – but that wasn’t apparent just by taking the tour.

The school spirit and lively vibe of Ann Arbor were the highlights for her.

Edited to add the biggest minus of all: I got COVID on the plane home.

6 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-Topic Discussion from “Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting”

I find that interesting, was this from current students you spoke to while there? from message boards, etc?

I know a couple kids there now and have never heard it described as such (and certainly not its historic reputation), really the opposite usually.

4 Likes

No fancy schools today. :wink:

UMass Amherst - Off the list for S24. Too spread out, a little depressing, a little too far from NJ in his opinion. He equated it with UConn where his brother went (though IMHO there there is a LOT more town nearby in Amherst). He also just got accepted with enough money at a school he likes better so on need to apply to so many schools. Just kinda ‘meh’.

Clark - Went up the list immediately.
Pros in random order - Good programs in the in the humanities. Felt “safe” among the right people, a certain level of kindness, and also like led the diversity/inclusion/affinity programs. Liked that the campus was dense and that it’s actually an urban area. Tour guide was very honest. It was absolutely pouring rain today at the Clarktoberfest open house (as it has every weekend this fall in the NE…) but the guide did a good job of finding spots to talk so we got to realy look at the campus and it’s pretty. Good mix of new facilities and old and some of the old stuff is renovated inside. The brand new Digital/arts building and maker spaces are very nice. He liked that they have options for various gendered/neutral floors in dorms even if it’s not his concern. The fin aid follows you for study abroad. There are interesting programs for domestic study in DC and elsewhere. We were impressed with the advising - multiple advisors at different stages with the possibility your FYI freshman year program advisor could become your major advisor.

Cons - the smallest school on his list with the same number of undergrads as his very large NJ HS. The area around isn’t attractive at all - that’s for sure- but we didn’t feel unsafe. Several students talked about walking through the surrounding area to other places and not being concerned. They also have an arrangement with a service like Lyft/Uber to take you anywhere within a few miles for FREE. Benefits of a private school. So hopefully that helps with the area.

20 Likes

On our Dartmouth tour the guide alluded to the pressure cooker but said a lot was self-imposed pressure to do well given they were all standouts in high school and someone has to be below the mean, and he noted faculty were available and supportive. We know 2 students there who describe it the same, and many other ivy/plus are categorized similarly by some students. Part of that is just the nature of the student populations at this level of school. D didn’t apply to Dartmouth due to not being near a city plus the outdoor-focused culture, but the explanation of the pressure there was not a deterrent since similar statements were made at all the top schools we toured.

4 Likes

Another round of tours with D24 who loves everything and is having a hard time narrowing her choices. The good news is that she now is fully confident that she can thrive in many places and there is no such thing as a perfect college

Smith College - WAY up! Early in her search, she did not want a women’s college, so she had not thought much about Smith, but now she has Smith at the top of her list. There is so much to love! We thought the campus was gorgeous with the beautiful brick buildings, flowering gardens, gorgeous lake, and lots of green space. The remodeled library is spectacular. The housing system is particularly appealing to her and having 11 cafeterias is awesome! Tour guide said food is a 7/10, which is solid. The town of Northampton is incredibly appealing- very walkable, lively, quirky, and lots to explore. D24 very much likes the open curriculum and the 5 college consortium and free buses between towns is appealing. I love how easy it is to get there from the Hartford airport. Opportunities for research sound tremendous. She is definitely applying, possibly as ED.

Amherst - same. D24 desperately wants to love Amherst and has visited twice. She even got to attend their fall festival over the weekend and had a lot of fun. But, though she loves Amherst on paper, something about it just isn’t clicking the way she wants it to. She likes the campus, loves the open curriculum and 5 college consortium, and she will apply, but she was hoping to confirm Amherst as a clear ED1 choice and that didn’t happen. Especially not after touring Smith and feeling like she would be happier there.

Mount Holyoke- Same. D24 loved Holyoke but expected to. She has several friends who attend and love it, and she spent the weekend in the dorm with one of them. She loved the campus, especially the library, and met lots of nice students. She had a good interview and thinks she would be happy there, but prefers Smith, but will also apply to MHC.

Connecticut College - WAY up! Lovely, well maintained campus and the tour took us inside lots of buildings, which was great. We glimpsed several classes in session and they were small and students seemed highly engaged. She loved the flexibility curriculum with an emphasis on interdisciplinary connections and practical application. She had an interview that was encouraging. The biggest downside is that the campus is not easily walkable to a fun town, so it felt more isolated than the 5 colleges. Still, she thought she would be happy there, too, and will apply.

Wesleyan - Down/Off. the communication from the school regarding he tour was somewhat confusing and the tour was WAY overbooked. There were over 50 people in our “small” breakout tour group, so we really couldn’t hear much/get much out of it. While some buildings were lovely, some were …. not, and the campus just didn’t hit the right notes with her. We picked up the school paper an it had a very serious, angsty vibe. Middletown was not a bad college town, but she preferred Northampton. So, it’s is one we thought she would love based on the website, but the tour just didn’t hit the right notes.

21 Likes

First real trip with D25 - feels like we just finished with S23……

Cornell - WAY up - granted we got a beautiful fall day but was nothing like what I expected. Gorgeous campus, kids all seemed quirky, fun, passionate and friendly. Tour was excellent, and collegetown bagels sealed the deal. I guess I expected grey and dull and stressed out kids but that wasn’t what we saw.

Villanova - somewhat down - D25 thought it was pretty but not with the same energy as Cornell, and didn’t seem to be much to do around the school ( did we miss something?). The tour guide told us she takes a bus to King of Prussia mall on weekends for fun which didn’t thrill me daughter.

Lehigh - down. WHY don’t my children like this school? I have now toured twice and I love it and had hopes for this child …. But she didn’t like the town or the “look” of the school. Zoned out on the tour. I don’t get it. I would have gone there.

Going to try to get a few more in during spring break.

19 Likes

For all the average kids out there, I wanted to share that visiting Southern Maine Community College’s open house moved it up beyond “consolation prize” for my D24. Three beautiful waterfront (as in feet from the ocean, on beaches) art studios, new dorm with preferred bathroom layout, 2+2 option with UNE for art ed (UNE is also on the list.) If the numbers don’t work for her 4 year schools, SMCC will still offer a lot, and seeing the studios and dorms, in aprticular, made it more positive than she was thinking it would be.

34 Likes