COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>

</p>

<p>What do you mean? If you needed your appendix out, you would refuse and probably die because you would “never” allow anybody to put you to sleep?</p>

<p>People have come in a refused anesthesia for colonoscopies. Some people say it was okay. Others, particularly those with polyps that must be removed, have said it was a mistake. One guy who insisted on no anesthesia so that he could drive home told me “next time I suggest such a dumb thing, hit me over the head.” </p>

<p>I had my colonoscopy today and remember nothing, absolutely nothing once they put me on my side and he told me the proprofol would burn a little bit. </p>

<p>I now have empathy for my patients. I am totally FOR colonoscopy as it can literally prevent colon cancer in susceptible individuals. However, it is not a pleasant ordeal leading up to the procedure. The anesthesia is the least of it, as far as I’m concerned.</p>

<p>I have had conscious sedation for a range of procedures including but not limited to a breast lump biopsy. I requested minimal anesthesia and IV anti nausea for the colonoscopies and while the prep was not very pleasant, the worst about the anesthesia was feeling a bit “loopy” afterwards. It’s a small thing to get a friend or loved one to transport or catch taxi for a more comfortable experience, IMHO. (I’ve had two and H has had more, as he’s older and has had small, benign polyps.</p>

<p>When propofol is used (general anesthesia), there is actually less nausea (propofol has an enti-emetic effect) and residual sedation because it has a very short half life. I’ve had the other stuff and it just made me feel sick and sedated for too long. Propofol wears off pretty quickly. If your provider adds other drugs (fentanyl or versed), the residual sedative effect is due to those drugs, not the propofol.</p>

<p>I had mine last month, propofol was used…remember saying something to the nurse anes. and then waking up in the recovery room. Left soon after wondering why I put it off so long. I hate anesthesia, always felt groggy, but this was fine, was able to go have breakfast and felt like I could drive, but didn’t.
Prep was gaterade, mirolax and Dulcolax…except for the amount of it, it was fine, just don’t want gaterade for along time. ; ) I ate light 2 days before, avoided certain foods and thought I wasn’t going to be clean enough, not a lot of sitting in bathroom, no real irritation, but I was fine.
Again, I wish I never put it off 4 years…I was ok, but couldn’t have been.</p>

<p>In summation: I tried the new colon prep “Prepopik.” I knew that some feedback said it didn’t quite clean you out. So I opted to do one day of low residue diet (mashed potatoes, white bread and rice) and two days of clear liquids prior. The day before my prep day I took one bottle of mag citrate (with Doctor’s okay). The problem was, I didn’t realize that the doc had taken into account the reviews and ALSO prescribed 2 dulcolax tabs prior to starting the prepopik. Next time, NO. I could tell when the pills kicked in about midnight and it came with severe cramping and stomach pain. Both the mag citratrate and the prepopik worked with no ill effects. Bottom line was I was clean, which is the most important thing.</p>

<p>As to Prepopik: The total volume of it 10 ounces in 2 doses several hours apart. It didn’t taste bad; it was kind of like liquid sweet tarts. I drank it in just a few quick gulps. Then I had to drink 5 glasses of clear liquids over the next 3 hours. After the second dose, I had to drink 3 glasses of clear liquids. It was fine. I would highly recommend it if you have trouble drinking large volumes of the other stuff. The clear liquids after could be sprite, then some broth, then water, then gatorade, whatever you want. I liked that.</p>

<p>The doctor told me she was very glad I’d come in as I had a very large polyp. Benign in appearance, and now totally gone, but it’s possible the pathology will show it to be some type of precursor to cancer. If I’d put it off, I could have ended up in big trouble. We’ll see what the results are to know if I come back in 2 or 3 years. No golden ticket for me (10 year pass). </p>

<p>Since my DH had early colon cancer at 46, should my polyp turn out to be a precancerous one, this will call for discussion as to our daughters and when they will need to be screened. I’m sure it will be recommended that they come in much sooner rather than later.</p>

<p>We are SO lucky to have such a screening tool.</p>

<p>Was just thinking about this thread and had a thought.</p>

<p>Now that I’ve been through this procedure, I know this to be true:</p>

<p>If the only good thing I can say about my day is that I’m not doing a colonoscopy prep, it’s still a VERY good day.</p>

<p>Got my pathology report back. It was a precancerous polyp indeed, so I’m back in 2 years but terribly grateful we have this screening tool. If I’d continued on my merry way without being screened, I would likely have ended up with colon cancer, only to discover it too late.</p>

<p>Get your colonoscopy if you are 50 years old or earlier if you have a family history of colon polyps or cancer!!!</p>

<p>

This has always made me wonder - is the patient really ‘out’ and not experiencing any discomfort through the procedure or is it that they aren’t so ‘out’ and maybe experience discomfort but simply don’t remember it later?</p>

<p>Nrdsb4 - you should know the answer to the above.</p>

<p>Apparently I kept asking the doc the same questions over and over afterwards when he came in to tell me the results. I don’t think it was a very effective time to provide feedback. My W thought it was funny how I kept asking the same questions and couldn’t remember from one minute to the next.</p>

<p>Having gone through the experience of a parent who died of colon cancer I concur with the others that this procedure is ‘nothing’ in comparison to that experience. It’s something people should do - it’s really like a freebie in either a chance to correct a potential problem (polyps), reassurance if no problem is found, or catching a problem much earlier and having a chance to address it and potentially fix it.</p>

<p>Nrdsb4, I’m glad you went when you did! I hope that more and more people convince their friends and family to go, so colon cancer will become less and less common. Even with our catastrophic health insurance, the plan paid for BOTH of my colonoscopies (6 months apart). What a good deal!</p>

<p>GladDadGrad,</p>

<p>Back “in the day” when we used to do IV sedation rather than general anesthesia (propofol), people would sometimes wake up periodically. They might or might not remember bits and pieces. Sometimes they would say “ouch” or something similar. Sometimes they would watch the screen and go in and out. </p>

<p>Now with propofol, people rarely wake up (and I have never personally seen anyone wake up under it, merely move around a bit, in which case a little more is given and all movement typically ceases). If it’s not done properly or stopped too early, a person could wake up at the end of the procedure. Most of my patients arrive in the recovery room completely asleep. Those who are waking up might indeed ask repetitive questions, but they are still pretty much appropriate in their bearing and behavior.</p>

<p>MaineLonghorn, yes, it’s a good thing I got screened! :eek:</p>

<p>re sedation – I was recently told by an acquaintance that sedation is not necessary for a colonoscopy. I’m curious if anyone here has had the procedure done sans sedation, as I am approaching my 50th and would definitely consider it. I will certainly discuss with my doc.</p>

<p>Nrsdb4 - glad your procedure was a success.</p>

<p>SnLMom,</p>

<p>It just depends on the person and their pain tolerance, how long and/or “twisty” their colon might be, etc. </p>

<p>I have had patients who did it without sedation and were fine. Some asked for just a “touch” of something to relax them but wanted to be awake. Others requested sedation once the procedure started.</p>

<p>I had one patient who refused sedation. When it was over with, he basically told me “Don’t EVER let me do that again.” </p>

<p>It’s not going to kill anyone to have a colonoscopy without sedation. I wasn’t interested in doing that, but others have felt differently and are certainly within their rights to act accordingly.</p>

<p>At my facility, we will not do the procedure without inserting an IV, however, even if the patient is not going to have sedation.</p>

<p>My dad usually does his colonoscopies at least partially awake and doesn’t mind it, and he always has polyps removed. He is still partially sedated though and has to be driven home. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it. I went out of my way to schedule mine at the one certain facility with the one certain doctor who would put me completely asleep-- at the time around here, most doctors did NOT do that and expected you to be “awake but not care what’s happening.” I would rather be asleep than be awake and so drugged I’m not aware of what’s happening to me.</p>

<p>Funny story about asking the same questions over and over-- when I woke up after my wisdom teeth I asked my fianc</p>

<p>

[quote]
Funny story about asking the same questions over and over-- when I woke up after my wisdom teeth I asked my fianc</p>

<p>Nrdsb4, congratulations on having it done. I too had a precancerous polyp found my first time, and so I’m now on the five-year plan forever and ever. </p>

<p>I always feel so proud of myself after I’m done!!</p>

<p>I drove a friend home after her colonoscopy. While I was with her in the recovery area, the doctor came in, and gave her (with me sitting there) a quick review that everything was fine and there were no polyps. She asked the doctor some intelligent questions, which he answered. Then I drove her home and helped her go to bed. The next day she called me to ask, “Did anyone say anything about what they did/didn’t find?”. Now I’m a believer in why they don’t want you driving afterwards or going back to work. She had complete amnesia.</p>

<p>Heheh… Hubby insisted he was fine after his, and should be able to go to the office, but I brought him home. He had leftover moo shoo for lunch, and I caught him just as he was spreading sauce on the damp paper towel the pancakes had been heated in. He had no memory of doing this 3 weeks later.</p>

<p>A guy left our facility after a procedure with anesthesia (before I started working there) and bought his wife a new car. The next day, he had no memory of it. Therefore, we really emphasize before the procedure that they are NOT to go to work, to make any legal decisions or purchases, to drive, to drink alcohol, etc. after their procedure. They are to eat something, nap, and take it easy. </p>

<p>I was so tired from no sleep for two days, that I went straight home about 10 am (8:30 procedure which actually started early) and slept until 1:30 pm. I didn’t even eat anything until around 2:00 pm or 2:30. That surprised me, as most of my patients are starving when they leave and say they are going straight to a restaurant.</p>

<p>

While I’m plenty hungry just before starting the prep (I eat very little for a couple days beforehand), once I do the prep I either feel like I’m about to hurl or one time actually did hurl and the next day, after doing the procedure, I wasn’t hungry at all and took it easy and didn’t eat very much. The day after the procedure I was more back to a normal hunger.</p>

<p>It sounds like you and I reacted about the same in this area.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The sedation was very pleasant! So was the aftermath. I don’t remember when I’ve felt so giggly and relaxed.</p>

<p>Re propofol: I had it for my most recent colonoscopy and had a sore throat for a week afterward. I’ve had a polyp, so I’m on the every-five-years plan. Is it possible to get something that is NOT propofol next time? I would not be willing to go without sedation, but the sore throat didn’t thrill me, either.</p>