COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>My doctor had ordered the dreaded COLONOSCOPY for me and I have never had one. What is your experience? I know the "cleanup" is going to be hard:)</p>

<p>Not too bad! My only advice is to drink other liquids along with the prep drink, as it’s not very pleasaont.</p>

<p>I heard you get really good drugs.
Funny neither H or I have had it recommended by our docs yet.</p>

<p>The prep drink (there is also a pill option which is just as bad) is the worst part. Once you get to the appointment you are knocked out with an IV drug and when you wake up you are pretty much fine. Rest the remainder of the day.</p>

<p>The prep is rather intense. Buy baby wipes or something similar to minimize soreness. Also, get a good book. You will not have time to make it from the TV to the bathroom and back.</p>

<p>The procedure itself is nothing to worry about. They use good drugs. You won’t remember a thing.</p>

<p>You can travel to the facility where the procedure is performed any way you like, but after the procedure is finished, somebody has to sign you out and drive you home (or accompany you home by taxi or mass transit). Most facilities are sticklers about this. </p>

<p>You shouldn’t plan to do anything of significance the rest of the day. Definitely no driving. You may feel as though the drugs have worn off completely, but they may not have. Your judgment and coordination could still be impaired.</p>

<p>I forget exactly what it was - only that the prep “drink” consisted of only a one or two oz. something 
 choices - either unflavored or ginger-flavored 
 two doses, hours apart 
 . Downed quickly and then copious amounts of other liquid (water, lemonade, sweet tea - no caffeine, though) to go along with it. Not too bad, overall.</p>

<p>Warning- red Gatorade comes out red, I suggest other colors for a flavor choice when getting plenty of fluids if this bothers you. If given a choice of flavors for the jug of fluid- none terrific. Just drink it as directed. The worst part is sitting on the throne a lot the day before. Have a book and constant dibs on the nearest bathroom. Don’t plan on leaving the house, or even far from the bathroom. Not the day to be doing something you can’t stop doing quickly. Unlike being sick you don’t feel bad- just need to use the bathroom often. Be gentle on your touche- the baby wipes- or toddler- are a good idea.</p>

<p>The actual procedure is done under a sedative and not remembered nor any after effects except for the sedation. Don’t plan to drive after or make any important decisions since your judgement will be off the rest of the day.</p>

<p>It was hard–I had one in my 30s due to illness. Prep (maybe it is better today–this was about 11 years ago) was worse than the procedure, though in the middle of the procedure they had to put me under (had trouble getting around “a bend,” and I could feel it. The worst part was that, after fasting for prep, (and already ill/underweight) I was so weak, hungry and dehydrated by the time it was over–I tried to have some saltines and sprite and threw up in the car on the way home. (No I wasn’t driving.) Awful experience, but good news=no cancer. Bring a driver and take a day to recover.</p>

<p>Ditto the book and wipes suggestion for prep.</p>

<p>I echo the others. The prep drink is unpleasant but that can be minimized somewhat by eating lightly leading up to the prep time. The procedure itself is nothing since you basically go to sleep before they start and it’s all over when you wake up. </p>

<p>The doc will tell you what prep to take and what other things you’re allowed to have leading up to the procedure.</p>

<p>I’ve had it done twice. The first time the prep wasn’t really that bad and it wasn’t a big deal. The second time the prep (same prep as the first time) hit me harder and I ended up with cold sweats and hurling the prep out the wrong end. This feeling lasted only a few minutes and then that part was over and I decided things were ‘clear enough’ that I was done taking the prep and skipped the last glass of it. </p>

<p>I’ve seen people deal with the last stages of colon cancer and this test is absolutely nothing compared with that and it’s a very effective test.</p>

<p>The benefit and relief of knowing you’re clear of having colon cancer or possibly finding the cancer much earlier far outweighs the small discomfort of taking the prep and having to do some quality bathroom time for a bit.</p>

<p>EK4 - If you or H are over 50 then I believe it’s recommended that you have the colonoscopy (age 40 if you have a family history of it). It’s possible to get colon cancer even if you have a doctor who neglects to recommend that you take the test. ;)</p>

<p>Yes- the colonscopy can be the cure by removing a precancerous little ditzle (using my best medical terms here) instead of needing to wait until it shows symptoms and requires major surgery or worse. If something found you may to have another colonoscopy in 5 instead of the currently recommended 10 years- not that bad considering the altenatives. 50 is the magic age- our current health insurance even pays for all of it and gives a premium discount if you do it.</p>

<p>My son and my H had them within about a month of each other. Different docs, different prep, different timing of prep. H’s was at 1 in the afternoon, so he could eat the day before and did the prep the morning of. Son had to do it in two stages, the last of which was done between 2 and 4 am the morning of! Can you imagine having set your alarm for that?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>One-stop shopping. Very efficient.</p>

<p>I know there’s talk about virtual colonoscopies, but with that sort of procedure, you would need to come back if a polyp is found. I prefer to get it over with in one day.</p>

<p>I had a polyp last time, so I now have to get a colonoscopy every 5 years. No big deal, except for my husband, who resents taking the time off to be the driver.</p>

<p>One more hint: Check to be sure that the facility where the colonoscopy is performed is on your insurance, not just the doctor who does it. I had a problem with that the last time.</p>

<p>I think this is one of the classic Cafe threads:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/477174-must-read-laugh-until-you-cry-story-dave-barry.html?highlight=colonoscopy[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/477174-must-read-laugh-until-you-cry-story-dave-barry.html?highlight=colonoscopy&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>have had two done (the first prep did not work; don’t want to elaborate)
</p>

<p>I find that it is immensely easier if prep is started earlier than one day and diet restrictions begin earlier as well
maybe it’s just me but it was a no-brainer the 2nd time when I didn’t have to be prepping through the night prior
</p>

<p>and the story posted above is definitely priceless
</p>

<p>Have had a couple done and agree with all of the above that it is the prep that is the absolute worst. I even wrote a letter to my doctor following the last one, asking him how it was possible that the same prep instructions are given to a 250 lb. man or a 125 lb. woman. I was so incredibly sick last time from the prep that I thought my husband was going to have to take me to the hospital, if he could have picked me up off the bathroom floor. The drug they give has an amnesiac effect so you really don’t remember the procedure, which is actually pretty quick.</p>

<p>Wow
 I can’t believe it’s been three years since I started that Dave Barry thread!</p>

<p>I am one-year post colonoscopy and am glad I had it done because I know I am free for another ten years (during which I fully expect a better prep to come along) assuming I don’t develop any symptoms.</p>

<p>Looking back, yes, the prep was the worst part. Drinking it, to me, was the worst part, but I did find that the colder it is, the ‘less’ bad it tastes. I even got to the point where, just prior to having to drink, I’d suck on some ice cubes to numb the taste buds. Then after drinking, I’d do the same. I think it made a difference in the severity of the taste. I mentioned this to my eye doctor once, who due to a family history has to have colonoscopies more often and at a younger age, and she was quite impressed that I’d found a way to minimize the taste. </p>

<p>But, one of the things that I hated the most, was feeling hungry all day of the prep. All I kept thinking was, “I want solid food!” And despite what others have said about keeping baby wipes nearby, I didn’t have any, and did not have that problem at all. But at one point, trying to distract myself from food, I decided to take a long, hot bath. While in the bath, I almost didn’t make it to the toilet, so yes, you need to be close. </p>

<p>I loved Dave Barry’s article, but for me, it was not nearly as bad as he made it out to be.</p>

<p>Oh, and I was one of the few, who actually gained a pound and a half, as opposed to losing weight! (as weighed the day before the prep and the day after the procedure!).</p>

<p>^^ This is what worries me. I’m 4’11 and weigh 105, so I’ve had problems with anesthesia and other medication being dosed for larger people. I was recently ordered to have a colonoscopy, but I’m going to put it off until the kids are back in school. Do you think both my husband and I will need the day off?</p>

<p>It was pretty much a piece of cake. </p>

<p>The actual colonscopy was a breeze. I remember joking with the anesthesiologist about giving me Michael Jackson’s favorite drug and then it was like watching a bad NFL game. You fall asleep before halftime, wake up in the fourth quarter, and you’ve been drooling on your arm, but you don’t know who’s winning.</p>

<p>The prep was annoying. At the time, I had been on a sustained diet and hadn’t had any sugar to speak of for over six months. So, 64 ounces of GatorAid along with the apple juice and clear jello all day was like an atom bomb going off on my blood sugar and system. Next time, I’ll just choke the stuff down with water (or maybe very diluted gator aid) and forgo the sugar rush. I had clammy sweats and shakes almost immediately after drinking the first bottle of Gator Aid – way before the laxative started to work.</p>

<p>Best liquid meal substitute: A can of Progresso hearty chicken rice soup with all the solids strained out. That was actually pretty good.</p>

<p>zoosermom - I actually had H drop me off at the center the morning of the procedure on his way to work, and when I was done and was in the recovery area, called D2 to come pick me up (I really didn’t feel a need for someone to come sit there and wait). She brought me home (well, after stopping off at Subway to get something to eat), then went into work herself. I was fine.</p>

<p>Awesome! Thanks Teri. Hubby and I don’t often take days off together.</p>