COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>This should be bumped every year on general principles. Folks, it’s really not that bad, and the potential alternative is really, really bad.</p>

<p>I couldn’t agree more, Hunt. I am thinking of you, EPTR, at 4 minutes to 11, and hoping your colonoscopy is as easy as mine was. </p>

<p>eptr,
good luck!
I always schedule it first in the morning, so it can be over earlier and you can eat earlier.</p>

<p>Hope everything comes out alright ;)</p>

<p>As a colon cancer survivor, I can promise you that not doing a colonoscopy when you need one can be at least 100 times worse. I’ve had a bunch of them to date, and to me they are like a walk in the park. </p>

<p>Given a choice, what day of the week would you choose to have the procedure done if you would have to take a day off work (assume a M-F work week)? I was initially thinking Monday morning so that the prep could be done on Sunday, but I’m beginning to think that Friday might be preferable since the nasty part of the prep doesn’t really start until the evening before the procedure and then you can spend the weekend getting back to normal. Maybe I’m overthinking this.</p>

<p>SnLMom, I used Suprep, and it was not bad at all. I was able to work, but I work at home. There will be a couple of urgent trips to the bathroom. The day of the colonoscopy, I was finished at about 11. Driving was prohibited, but I felt completely normal. In your place, I’d schedule for a Monday morning, to be home near the bathroom on Sunday. By Tuesday morning you’ll be back to normal. In fact, you’ll probably be back to normal by Monday sometime, depending on the time of the procedure.</p>

<p>Very good point, austinareadad. I hope that you are doing well.</p>

<p>My colonoscopy was like nothing, too.</p>

<p>If people have doubts, there are also videos to check out on youtube. Some of them may have too much detail.</p>

<p>The worst part of the colonoscopy was the prep. Make sure it is very cold and I used a straw to drink it. I had an endoscopy plus the colonoscopy on the same day. So had to fast plus drink the moviprep :frowning: Good thing, I don’t have to do it for another 8 years :)</p>

<p>Well, it’s over. Thanks for all the support and good thoughts. Prep was as expected although it took so long to kick in I was up and down all night. The endoscopy center that I had it at was a first for me. I’ve always had mine at the local hospital. It was very well run with very kind, gentle nurses. Only down side was that this was the first time that I had one that I felt pain during the procedure. Same doctor every time. I kept waking up feeling like a boa constrictor was loose in my abdomen. Even asked for more med but was told they were almost done. I will address that at my follow up!</p>

<p>Good news is that my colon was polyp free! Have to go back in 5 years because my brother had colon cancer at the age of 35 (he is a healthy 57 year old now!).</p>

<p>I’m so glad it’s over, and the news is good! And that your brother is doing well. </p>

<p>I am sorry that you felt pain! I felt nothing, had very light anesthesia, woke up clearheaded. But I certainly was not aware during the procedure, also at a (hospital-affiliated) center. It had the feeling of a colonoscopy “factory” - in a good way. I felt that everyone knew what they were doing and would do it well and efficiently.</p>

<p>I wonder if they handle the anesthesia differently at a “center” as opposed to a hospital. Maybe they use more light weight stuff when they are not at a hospital? I just know that I felt it a lot! I will ask my dr and make sure that I am reassured that the next time will be better. It is hard enough to anticipate it when you know you will be out cold but now, the next time I go for one, I will be remembering this one!</p>

<p>EPTR, I work at an endoscopy center, and though I can’t speak to your facility absolutely, I doubt that they use “more light weight stuff.” We use propofol, which the hospital does as well. It all comes down to the anesthesia provider. It’s how much they give you and when which determines your level of anesthesia. </p>

<p>I would definitely let your doctor know. If he’s getting the same complaints about the anesthesia provider from other patients, it may be time to have a talk with that provider and see what his/her rationale is for keeping patients down so lightly that they are waking repeatedly.</p>

<p>I had my done at a center also, and have no memory of the procedure at all.</p>

<p>When I had mine I was extremely sedated. I was 19 and really unhappy to be there. I think I looked at the anesthesiologist as I was being wheeled in and said, “don’t you dare let me wake up.” I was extremely groggy for several hours afterward.</p>

<p>I personally would have the procedure on a Friday if given the choice. My prep seemed to have no effect on me whatsoever for several hours, then I ran clear almost immediately–but they told me to drink at least 3/4 of the jug or I would have to do it again, so I drank it and ended up awake all night passing water. I didn’t even get to sleep at all until 5, and was up at 7 to drive to the hospital. Then I was exhausted from the anesthesia and borderline incontinent for several hours afterward. Between the anesthesia and being up late because of the prep, I went home and slept for 12 hours. It took me a day or two to get back to normal. </p>

<p>Just be glad you don’t have to do your prep in a dorm! ;)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info, Nrdsb4,
I was hoping you would respond. I was also wondering if anesthesia is handled differently if you are on certain meds. When I was in the procedure room, I saw a sign on the wall that looked like a list of anesthetics and it said “anti-depressents-no demerol” along with other stuff that I couldn’t read at the distance. In the time between the last scope I had and this one, I have begun taking Lexapro. I wondered if that affected the drugs that I was given?</p>

<p>I did sleep all day yesterday, ate very little and today feel a little bloated and lacking in appetite. Hopefully I will lose a couple of the pounds that I need to!!! Silver lining along with being polyp free!</p>

<p>^^^All kinds of factors are taken into consideration by the anesthesia provider when deciding what and how much to give a patient. Medicines the patient takes, health history, current health issues, height and weight, if a patient has had anything to eat or drink prior to the procedure, smoking and drinking habits, any use of recreational drugs, etc. are all very relevant to the anesthesia provider and can impact the plan of care.</p>

<p>If I were you, the next time you are scheduled for any procedure requiring anesthesia, request that the anesthesiologist/CRNA call you the day or evening prior so that you can understand how your particular situation will affect your anesthesia plan. </p>

<p>Many of our patients seem really annoyed by all of the questions we ask them regarding prior surgeries, illnesses, past reactions to anesthesia, current meds (including nutritional supplements), etc. But these issues can impact anesthesia and there are certain conditions which could make the administration of certain drugs normally used in surgery unwise or could require certain adjustments. </p>

<p>Glad to hear your colon was healthy!</p>

<p>Just got home from mine (done at a hospital lab). The prep was not as bad as 10 years ago, albeit unpleasant. Basically I got about an hour and half of sleep in the end, although the constant bathroom vigilance was earlier in the evening. I’d read some tips online about how to make the prep easier. This included eating only low fiber foods the day before the liquid diet/prep (and no meat for about three days). Also to eat more in the morning and less in the evening the day before the prep. Finally, use a straw to drink and maybe a sip of coffee or broth between the cold glasses to keep from getting chilled. Between all that and the new “purge” (Miralax and Gatorade) and my new Kindle Fire HD on hand, it wasn’t too horrible.</p>

<p>I was completely out during the procedure. All they found were two small diverticula pouches which were responsible for the attack of diverticulitis in February. No polyps, no other issues, come back in 10 years. Whew. I suspect way too much cheese/kettle corn caused something to get caught and get infected so will be very cautious. Sorry, Garrets caramel corn!</p>

<p>Haven’t read through everything, but I haven’t seen anyone else yet who threw up from the prep?</p>

<p>Both my husband and I recently went through this - one prep in the evening, and the second prep the next morning. Both of us threw up on the second one, me pretty much immediately and voluminously. It was kinda brutal really. We both got chilled too. And the headache!</p>

<p>Then when I got to the facility, I had to fill out pages of medical forms. I really could not wait for the propofil to get me out of that reality.</p>