COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

Reduce the amount of food you normally eat prior to prep day. Mix the powder in with something potable (I use Gatoraide). I’ve had three over the years and never thought it too bad. Procedure itself was painless and I ate a full meal shortly afterward.

Prep, schmep. It’s all over in a few hours. Not the most fun thing I’ve ever done (and I’ve done it now three times) but by no means the worst, either.

I got a two year ticket with my first colonoscopy (large polyp), and the two years is up. Can hardly believe it; it seems like it was only one year ago, not two!

It’s hard to believe when I started this thread 4 years ago I received a 10 year ticket, today it’s halfway through! Just like a blink of an eye! Time flys.

I only got a five-year respite, and it seems like that expires every two years. :frowning:

I want to thank all those who,posted on this thread. Back home after my first colonoscopy. 2 polyps, so glad I didn’t go for the virtual. I used the moviPrep I didn’t know it tasted like lemon, and my,only foods were lemonade and chicken stock. I was pretty tired of lemon flavor. Didn’t go to sleep until 3 am, and up at 6. Over an hour wait at surgi center, which wasn’t fun. Still, all done.

There is no way to express my appreciation for all the CCers who posted their experiences. I read through the thread during the week, and garnered much info.

Good for you @bookworm !! Doesn’t it feel good to know there is nothing (more) to worry about?

Have mine in three weeks at 2 pm. I should be in great shape to chair a non movable meeting that night! I am on orders for heavy sedation as I always am for invasive procedures due to the incest issues. No one wants me freaking during procedures even if I won’t remember it. Don’t want sudden movements!

I sometimes wish I could bring in a tape recorder. I babble when nervous so I am probably pretty amusing. A few years ago my husband ended up (no pun intended) having a member of his church as his nurse anesthetist. She said if anyone accused him (pastor) of having his head up his butt she could officially attest otherwise.

@KKmama I believe I had the propofol - not sure if that’s “heavy sedation”. But I went right out and woke up in the recovery room. I felt fine the rest of the day, a little tired, but otherwise fine. I didn’t drive and took it easy as they recommended, but I felt much worse after other types of procedures.

Same with me. I am exhausted, as only got 3 hours of sleep. Propanol is the light sedation. I had no choice but an early morning procedure, and then there was the delay. Given they found 2 polyps, I suppose I may have to go back in 5 years rather than 10.

For other newbies, this thread has a wealth of info.

I believe you mean Propofol? It is not light sedation, it’s actually more of a light general anesthesia. You are under, not lightly sedated.

It’s a great drug because it has such a quick onset and a short half life, so it doesn’t stay in your system all day. You are able to go under and yet maintain your own airway and breathing during the procedure. You don’t require mechanical ventilation with Propofol. It’s good stuff.

Thanks for the info. They did have me hooked to O2 machine.

Nrdsb4, I may add that I love outpatient surgi center nurses. Each one was a gem.

@bookworm, yes, you would always be hooked to O2 while under general anesthesia. But you were maintaining your own airway and breathing. When you have a big surgery, you are given gases, numerous drugs, general anesthesia, and a paralytic that paralyzes your muscles, so you must be intubated and put on a ventilator during the surgery. Appropriate in many situations, but for colonoscopy, we don’t need to go that deep. Which is a good thing!

Back “in the day,” and still now in some facilities, light sedation is still given for colonoscopies. That is often referred to as “Twilight Sleep.” People often remember conversations, music, if it’s being played in the room, or talk about waking up in some discomfort. People can wake up if propofol is being used, but not as often, particularly if it’s done perfectly. Some docs will order the patient to be woken up at the end of the procedure, but usually the patients are under until they wake up in the recovery room. Not always the case with sedation.

Glad to hear your nurses were awesome.

They sedate to different degrees. I chose to be pretty heavily dosed during cataract surgery especially when they couldn’t get my eye entirely numb. As the surgeon said and my PA daughter confirmed I would feel pain during the surgery but not remember doing so. OTHH my friend remembers her entire cataract surgery as she was less heavily drugged.

My urologist said I was very “unhappy” during a cystoscopy but due to the anesthesia cannot recall any of it.

Thanks, Nrdsb4, I didn’t that when they attached the O2 machine. I remember waking up, fully dressed, and asked the nurse “who dressed me?” She said she helped me, but honestly, I don’t think I did a thing.m

Congratulations, bookworm. :slight_smile: Are you starving? I made D make an emergency stop at Burger King on the way home.

I ate Chinese food and crackers but nothing satisfied.

I had my 14th colonoscopy today and today, for the first time ever, it showed NO active Crohn’s Disease. For the last 14 years, every one of them showed some activity. But now, the meds are working and I’m in a medical remission.

This is WONDERFUL news - and props to you 2016, for going through 14 colonoscopies!!!

Ha! Thanks- also multiple CT Scans and Upper GIs with small bowel follow through too! Those didn’t require the same kind of prep though. Two bowel resection surgeries did require the same prep as colonoscopies. I will have them annually for life- unless I end up with no colon eventually.