COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

In my case I have had a small hemorrhoid since I was pregnant 23 years ago, which sometimes bleeds a tiny bit. It caused my FIT test to be positive, but the colonoscopy was negative-- no polyps, even. I was told my next colonoscopy is due in 10 years, but that the office would contact me in 7.5 years if the guidelines had changed by then.

I don’t see much point in getting a yearly FIT now, as it is likely to be positive for occult blood and trigger yearly colonoscopies.

I have a friend who suffered a perforation during a colonoscopy and do not want to get colonoscopies more often than necessary.

@ucbalumnus - My DH had 2 precancerous polyps removed 2 years ago and is on the 5 year plan. He has since found out that he is high risk for developing CRC through a female-linked gene in his mother’s side of the family (I think I have that right). DH’s cousin (MIL’s sister’s son) will be undergoing his second surgery to battle CRC which was diagnosed 5 years ago at 46. Surgeon has advised that any male offspring (not sure about female offspring??) of the sisters in that family undergo a colonoscopy by age 40 due to high risk. Not sure if the next generation, i.e. my children, are also at higher risk.

I have also been wondering if annual FIT would be beneficial in the interim years between colonoscopies, as well as prior to turning 40 for those in a high risk category.

“Female-linked gene” may refer to a gene on the X chromosome. Females typically have two X chromosomes, while males typically have one X and one Y chromosome. So a female who has Xx (where x has the gene associated with the condition) would pass the gene to half of her sons who get xY, while half of her daughters would also be Xx. The sons’ daughters would be Xx (and could therefore have sons who are xY), but none of the son’s sons (whose would get an X from their mother) would get the x (assuming their mother does not have the x).

More at the following:
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/pigeons/sexlinkage/
https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/biobasis/bio_4.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_linkage

My last colonoscopy was in December, 2015. The gastroenterology office said I needed to come back in three years and that they would call to remind me. I haven’t heard a peep. After reading @Nrdsb4’s scary post, I called my PCP and they are going to do the referral for me. I’m glad I did, because the nurse said it will probably be a couple of weeks before I hear anything.

@MaineLonghorn, I spoke earlier of having put off my own follow up colonoscopy, notable for the fact that I worked as an endoscopy nurse, and my own DH had battled colon cancer. For one thing, I had researched the literature and could find no justification for why I was prescribed for the follow up I was given (I think the reason for it was that my benign polyp was REALLY large, and most really large polyps are cancerous). For that reason, and some inertia probably caused by some depression after losing my mom and my stepmom, I allowed myself to let it slide until the “typical” time frame. When my friend’s DH took a severe turn for the worse and died, that got me off my duffer and I immediately scheduled my follow up. Fortunately, I had only one tiny benign polyp of the type that never develop into cancer.

I commend you for following up, but do know that my friend’s DH’s situation is exceedingly rare. Good luck!

I have to say, the existence of this thread has encouraged me to stay compliant with my doctor’s recommendations.

Thanks, @Nrdsb4. My benign polyp was also large, and they said I wasn’t cleaned out very well, either, so that’s why they want to see me so soon. I’m going to talk to the nurse about how to make sure I’m thoroughly cleaned out this time! I followed all their instructions last time!

I’m not nervous about it, but your post was a a good reminder to call today!

I have to say, people, that colon cancer is a ■■■■■, and it truly is one that can be stopped in its tracks, and even prevented, if you get those precancerous polyps removed before they wreak havoc on your life.

My DH is thankful to be alive. But let me tell you, it’s agony to watch your handsome, young (46 y.o), go getter husband look at his body in shock/horror as his post surgical nurse shows him how to take care of his ostomy bag. My DH was lucky to first, survive his cancer, but second, only be cursed with an ostomy for a short time while he went through 8 months of chemo. I’m a nurse, so it didn’t phase me, but it really devastated him, at least at first. I don’t wish this on anyone.

The moral of this story is to get your screening on time and according to schedule.There is no reason to find yourself in our position, or in that of many of the horror stories you hear about. I will never put mine off again, and my DH sure won’t!

Yesterday I had the final infusion of my 12 cycles of chemo (FOLFOX) for stage 4 colon cancer. Tomorrow I will get the pump off and be DONE–for now anyway. I am NED after clean scans in July, but it remains to be seen what post-chemo scans in late November reveal. And the reality is that one has to live with the possibility of recurrence forever.

Not something to fool around with.

@SnLMom Genetic testing would reveal whether your various family members have inherited the gene mutation in question.

I’m getting the Cologuard diagnostic test. Anyone have any familiarity with that? Seems sooooo much easier. I could not keep down the nasty prep the last time, vomited much of it up.

Cologuard (FIT with an extra DNA test, or FIT-DNA) is a stool test. If it gives a positive result, a followup colonoscopy is done. A three year interval is specified, possibly due to its high cost compared to other (inexpensive) stool tests like FIT where a one year interval is specified.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/colorectal-cancer-screening2#tab compares various screening methods.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/colorectal-cancer-screening2#fig compares benefits (life years gained and colorectal cancer deaths prevented) and harms (complications from medical risks of colonoscopies, including those done as followup when stool tests like FIT and FIT-DNA are positive).

I know it has a 13% false positive rate so I could need a colonoscopy unnecessarily. But my last reaction was so bad that I am looking for something less invasive and not nauseating.

FIT every year is another stool test primary screening option that you can compare with Cologuard / FIT-DNA every three years, if you want to reduce medical risks or other issues from colonoscopies.

Hooray @consolation. I hope this will remain in your rear view mirror for at least the next 40 years.

@Consolation, best wishes for clear scans and good health going forward!

I had 2 small non-cancerous HYPERPLASTIC COLORECTAL POLYPS (removed during colonoscopy), so does not mean I can do colonoscopy every 10 years rather than every 3 years? No history of colon cancer in immediate family either. Even what doctors say differ.

@websensation
If you are totally clear, you can get a 10 year ticket. But with any polyps, more likely you will get a 5 year ticket, ask your doctor, we are no physicians.

@TatinG

If the liquid format is not acceptable by you, have you tried the pill version?

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2015/0115/p93.html describes colonoscopy screening intervals based on what was found at the most recent colonoscopy. Table 3 has a summary.

Has your physician mentioned the risk level of the polyps and a recommendation for future screening?

@TatinG I used the Cologuard screening test this summer. My results were negative. They make it very easy.

Participants on this thread will likely get a kick out of today’s Zits comic strip (11/9/18):
http://comicskingdom.com/zits