Columbia/Geneseo vs Tufts (civil engineering)

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>I want to be an architect-engineer*, but I figured that I will get a B.S. in Civil Engineering, and then move on to graduate school for architecture and a masters in engineering as well (it would take a long time, lol). </p>

<p>I got into Tufts and I got into SUNY Geneseo's Edgar Fellows Program (around 20 kids out of a class of 925 get in). Columbia and Geneseo work together for "cooperative engineering", in which I could do 3 or 4 years at Geneseo and graduate with a degree from them (with Edgar Fellows on it) in, for example, physics. Then I would go, guaranteed, to Columbia, to get another degree from them (for civil engineering). I would end up with two degrees from two great schools, and all the benefits that any typical engineering student at Columbia would receive. Also, it would be a lot cheaper than going to Tufts, which also has civil engineering. </p>

<p>However, I really like Tufts as well, and I love their international outlook, which I probably wouldn't find in small town Geneseo. I think I would be happier there (not to say that I would be miserable at Geneseo/Columbia; I would also be fine going there). Tufts also would give me the option of double majoring in civil engineering and architecture in 5 years, or just minoring in architecture and taking 4 years. However, their architecture program is "architectural studies", and is not accredited (the civil engineering program is accredited though).</p>

<p>I can't decide between the two choices. Any help? </p>

<p>Is Tufts or is Columbia better at civil engineering? </p>

<p>When applying to graduate school, what would be looked upon better, and what would improve my chances to get into a top graduate school more? What about when it comes time to find a job?</p>

<p>(please give your sources; don't just say random opinions on the matter).</p>

<p>*You may be unfamiliar with an architect-engineer, and what that means. I don't know if you've heard of Calatrava, but he is one:</p>

<p>Santiago Calatrava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Thank you very much!</p>

<p>I also am interested in connecting my engineering/architecture studies to general liberal arts studies, which is why I didn’t chose to apply to any all-out engineering school. SUNY Geneseo, Columbia, and Tufts all support the “balance” factor.</p>

<p>I personally would probably pick Tufts. I know that while the Columbia program with other Liberal Arts colleges is PRETTY MUCH guaranteed, nothing is 100%. However, the Edgar Scholars thing CERTAINLY changes the situation quite a bit. Is money a factor? Do you DEFINITELY want to go into engineering? If you do, then maybe Geneseo/Columbia would be better (assuming you will get into Columbia which you should unless you completely screw up somewhere). I think you should revisit both campuses and see which one you like better.</p>

<p>By the way, I loved the international outlook at Tufts too! I REALLY hope I get in next year.</p>

<p>My daughter also got into the Edgar Fellows Program and she chose Geneseo because of this (english major). Did you know that as an Edgar Fellow student you will live in Dante House, a dorm which houses the freshman honors program students and many international students? I think that might provide some international “flair” for you. Just a thought.</p>

<p>I’m doing the 3/2 program program as well, but for financial engineering. If we go to Geneseo this year, the program that is in play this year will count for us. ie. even if columbia drops the program or geneseo as one of the schools, we still get the GT.
You should, however, know that around 2/3 of Columbia SEAS graduates do not go into what is, for lack of a better term, “normal” engineering. Rather, most of them go into consulting, etc. Columbia’s better in stuff like applied math rather than things like mechanical or civil engineering. That’s not to say those programs are bad (they’re better than tufts’ in my opinion), but they’re not as good as other programs offered.</p>

<p>You should also take into account you take an extra year this way. If you really want to get two master’s degrees (a masters in engineering will frankly be useless to you - almost everything you need to do in engineering is covered by a BS), that’s 4 years and then the 5 here means 9 more years of school. You may say you want it now, but what if you choke up halfway through?</p>

<p>If you’re serious about picking that career, I would go with the 3/2, but skip the M.Eng because it won’t really help you.</p>

<p>The M.Eng absolutely will help (assuming you’re interested in the structural engineering aspect of civil engineering). It’s tough for structural engineers to get jobs on interesting projects without one because you just can’t fit everything you need to know in 4 years. As a matter of fact, ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) is pushing for a masters (or equivalent) as a prerequisite to sit for the P.E. exam (which you need to get licensed as an engineer).</p>

<p>Double-majoring in architectural studies at Tufts won’t help you much, especially if you plan on becoming an architect (which as you know requires an accredited 5 year undergrad program or a graduate program). I wouldn’t factor this into your decision process. </p>

<p>Good luck with your plan! Sounds like you know what you want, even though you know it’s going to be tough.</p>