Comments about off-topic posts in another thread

Moderator Note: Topic split from another thread.

Shouldn’t these folks just quit reading it instead of insisting the rest of us also stop because they no longer like it?

I don’t consider that a good reason TBH.

12 Likes

What Mike said is that they want new and fresh discussions around topics. I don’t know why management feels the need to direct our conversations. I assume they want some thread turnover to keep the site from appearing stale, but the more they micromanage the worse the experience becomes. The site analytics I track show a downward trend. They lose long-term members (and institutional knowledge) with every change. If their job is to deliver users (us) to advertisers then I don’t really understand why they seem intent on driving us away. You’d think with a pandemic this site would be overrun with people looking for help navigating the new college landscape, but I don’t believe that’s happening. Closing threads that are generating activity doesn’t seem to be in their best interest, but they’re welcome to do it if that’s what makes them happy.

15 Likes

I will definitely say I feel I don’t belong, esp if it’s multiple users flagging things. Their views of what they want are certainly different than mine and they won’t just “move on to other threads” like they should IMO. Therefore, I suspect it’s me who should spend less time here (easier to do now that we’re back traveling again!).

While the thread is long (I agree) there is no reason to not just start a part 2 and keep going. 1000 posts shows interest. Vaccine Reluctance is it’s own topic. It is independent of the other topics suggested. And I don’t see why moderators should decide if a thread is kept just because they’re bored with it. That’s a problem with CC–closing threads on its own community.

7 Likes

Why in the world were the last two posts flags? There is zero in either that is a violation of tos.

Closing an active thread, about a current event, with lots of participation, seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

At very least spin it off to a second thread.

7 Likes

I wish whoever is flagging all these posts would grow up.

I think CC should do away with the flags. If something is so egregious mods can be PMed.

How long will it take for this post to be flagged?

11 Likes

Thank you for reposting. Since each post is not labeled with a number anymore, it was more trouble than it was worth to hunt it down (and moving the slider brought me to someone else’s post).

2 Likes

What the heck is going on? Sheesh, grown people expressing their opinions being quashed for no reason?

8 Likes

3 minutes!

2 Likes

Perhaps a very “vaccine reluctant” person?

3 Likes

Folks, posts are not just flagged for being in violation of TOS. They can be flagged for being off topic. Here are the options that appear when posts are flagged.

I started a thread to address Mike’s post in the CC community forum. Hopefully that’s the right spot.

1 Like

What’s the name of your thread?

3 Likes

I’d like to point out that with a “we’re closing this thread” with an hourly countdown that none of these posts were “off topic” nor inappropriate. It was a peaceful protest in favor of some sanity. None of the reasons given except for length were acceptable to those in an active conversation. Just roll 1K threads over to a part 2 or 3 or 4.

Spend some time deleting pinned posts from 10 years ago that are a huge turn off for anyone tuning into CC rather than canceling active threads. Start with the Visual Arts forum–the pinned posts are 11 years old. Hardly new info.

9 Likes

Yes, I think they are in the process of closing old threads. There are hundreds of thousands of old threads to close. I think it happens in stages behind the scenes.

You can send ccadminMike a message if you want to discuss the closure of threads, or refer to the thread linked above, by @momofboiler1 .

The posts moved here were not on topic. The topic was vaccine reluctance. Until such time that off-topic is eliminated as an option, off-topic posts can continue to be flagged. The off-topic option is not a decision any moderator has power over.

I didn’t say close old threads. I said delete the pinned posts at the top of your forums that are so outdated that anyone would wonder the last time anyone visited that forum.

3 Likes

Please flag any threads you are referring to for review. Thanks!

I already did.

I will message you.