Community College Units Problem

This past semester I took 5 dual enrollment classes from 2 different community colleges in my area. When I turned in the forms that had to be signed by my school principal, my school did not say anything. I recently found out a couple of weeks ago that high school students can only take a maximum of 11 credits. I have basically completed 15 credits worth of courses and had no idea about this rule til now. Will these grades still count on my transcript and will they still go into my UC GPA since they are all transferrable. Am in in trouble…

Ed Code, § 76001(d) limits the number of college units that a high school student can earn through dual enrollment to 11 course units per term. However, Ed Code, § 76004§ increases the course-unit cap to 15 units, for participants in CCAP partnerships.

Ask your HS if they are CCAP partners with the CC’s. Also, doesn’t your HS require the forms to be filled out prior to taking the courses vs. after?

Yes they require them prior but after taking the courses, they do not do anything.

You may want to check what your community college transcripts show, because that will be the basis of courses and grades that you will report on the UC application and send transcripts for upon matriculation.

The registration system of the CCC where my kid went to in HS prevented anyone from going over the limit automatically without some override. Furthermore, the system only allowed the classes exactly approved by the principal.

I would find it pretty hard to imagine that any competent principal would allow so many units while still taking on a full load in HS. But to answer your question, there may be consequences in the near future as audits will occur. If you didn’t have principal authority for example, the credits could be taken away.